Side Panel Mod / Case Fan's Question

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
The reason my big 25cm fan doesn't do crap is because it disrupts an already great air flow system. I've got two cages in the front of my Kandalf case, both have 12cm fans blowing air over HDD's and back through the case. On the top of the case is a 92mm fan blowing air upward and out. On the back, I have a 12cm PSU fan, a 92mm fan and a 12cm fan. That's 6 large fans already that pull/push air from front to back. My CPU fan lowers CPU temps, and the 25cm fan is just more than I need it's disrupting all that great airflow I already have. It blows directly down on my motherboard.

Here's what I know from the air cooling literature: 1) Hot spots need a highly conductive heat sink that has adequate surface area and adequate local airflow. 2) The air volume of the case must be exchanged quickly. 3) Given good hot spot and case heat exchange, the ambient temperature is a major factor in determining how well the hot spots are cooled.

So, in looking at your case with and without the 25cm fan, I'm assuming that your CPU, GPU and chipset coolers were unchanged. If that's correct, then adding the 25cm fan must have interfered with exchanging the case air. As I mentioned earlier, the only way I can see that happening is if the air from the 25cm fan is more or less going directly to the output fans. If it was mixing well with the bulk case air and then exhausted quickly, it would have lowered temps. But from your comments, that's not what you've seen and is why I recommended turning the 25cm fan around and trying it as an exhaust.

I also want to add that a good heatsink will cool your processor more than additional case fans.

Sorry, but I find this discussion overly simplistic. If any part of the system is weak, from bringing in cool air to exhausting the hot air and anything inbetween, the system will run hotter than optimal. So you really need all parts doing ther job. Neglecting any part of the chain will cause the whole cooling system to suffer.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
It didn't lower temps any because there's already fresh air in the case. All it did was disrupt a good thing.

As far as my other comment is concerned, ambient air at 80 degrees with a good heatsink/fan on the CPU is better than a crappy heatsink and slow RPM fan @ 70 degrees. Direct air to the CPU (even if it's warm) is more effective for cooling than case fan air. Air movement on a very hot part > air movement around the hot part. Get it now?

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
im0009753ba.jpg

Something I use to do long time ago when I was playing with cases, but for me what you see is the best dam air water comb I have used. That is including your choice of cooling

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
It didn't lower temps any because there's already fresh air in the case. All it did was disrupt a good thing.

"Disrupt" is not very descriptive. If the inlet air from the 25cm is competing with the hot air coming off of the HSF for outlet vent space, then it makes sense. But if by "disrupt" you mean that more in-case mixing happened, then you're off-track.

Get it now?

You're not teaching me anything I don't already know. I've worked with systems from liquid Helium up to over 1000C reaction chambers. I have made air cooling work in very difficult circumstances, like instrumet controllers in confined spaces with 45C inlet air. It's not mystical stuff and in fact the solutions are reasonably simple. Too bad you haven't tried flipping the 25cm fan - you might be surprised.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Who said I didn't try flipping it? I have. Now I'm flipping you off you cocky bastard. If I'm not teaching you anything you didn't already know then I wasn't talking to you. You really are Clueless.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Who said I didn't try flipping it? I have. Now I'm flipping you off you cocky bastard. If I'm not teaching you anything you didn't already know then I wasn't talking to you. You really are Clueless.

Looks like your exotic cooling system just failed cuz you are very uncool, dude.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Yeah...you get stupid and now I'm uncool. Where do you get off guy? I think you need to work on reading and comprehension. Don't sit there and correct me about a term I used which I think everyone here pretty much understood but you. I have no patience for nitpicking idiocy. I meant that the air got recirculated and reheated you moron, just like I SAID. Maybe you're tired. You think it's somehow relevant to pick apart a word I chose to use that described what I was saying just fine...if you're going to pick fights then expect a little "uncoolness" to come your way. ANYONE will get hot tempered when you go around insulting them without grounds. We're fine, but next time...think. EXOTIC cooling system, now we're also adding words? I don't even know what you're talking about. Go to bed.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I meant that the air got recirculated and reheated you moron, just like I SAID.
You've sprayed a ton of bull, but it doesn't add up.

I don't even know what you're talking about.
Admission of ignorance is the key to learning. There is hope for you yet.

Listen up: I'm not picking fights - I'm just correcting you because you don't understand simple airflow. You think you do and your bruised pride is blocking your capacity to listen and learn. You try to come off as some kind of cooling expert but all you do is spray a bunch of drivel. This round got started when you posted the following:

I'm a little ticked about a 25cm side panel fan that I bought for my Kandalf though, as it hasn't seemed to lower my temps on my CPU at all, and if anything they're higher with the fan panel. Air flow disruption. The big fan is circulating warm air inside of my case. Sure it's bringing in more fresh air, but by stirring it all up it's allowing it to stay in the case, where parts of the air get reheated. .
This, combined with everything you've said today just shows that you don't know what you're talking about. You're inventing flow scenarios that don't add up. I'll help you get back on track with a simple fact:

Air in = air out

This comes into play when you say the 25cm fan is bringing in more fresh air. Fresh air is cooler than the hot air inside the case, right? So the only way that you can hurt your heat flow when you add fresh air in is if that fresh air hogs the outflow. It's like I've said repeatedly, a large fraction of the 25cm fan air would have to be going right out the exhaust. If not, it would have to be displacing more hot air than when not using the 25. You're not blowing up a fricken balloon so you can crawl down off of your "circulating warm air inside of my case" soap box. Adding cool air in increases the potential cooling capacity EXCEPT when it goes right to exhaust WITHOUT circulating inside the case.

Fact #2: Typical ATX case air flow does not imitate laminar flow.

There are many angles, corners and obstructions. So, along with adequate front to back and/or bottom to top flow, some degree of circulation is a good thing. This has been demonstrated with IR photos and videos, smoke video, etc.

"Case in point" more fans are not always better. Without proper air FLOW, you're just blowing a lot of hot air.
If you're an expert on anything, it's blowing hot air. You get challenged about your ability to observe and reason and since you can't handle that, you decide to take cheap shots and call names. That's a sure sign of a dude that's lost an argument.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
I'm glad you think I sound like an expert. It took you far too long to type all that up. I sat here waiting for it for a good half hour. There was and is no argument. You're just looking for a fight and I'm done. If I spew drivel than that's fine. But you're the one dignifying it and repeating it for everyone to read again. I appreciate it, really I do. I don't understand airflow? Wow. What's there to understand? It's simple science. I sometimes rant for my own humor, and we were all just having a conversation. Then you had to show up and act like you were superior in knowledge and terminology. Nobody asked you. Get over yourself. Go ahead and water cool too. Become an expert and tell us all about it. We don't care.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I'm glad you think I sound like an expert.
You have massive comprehension problems.

It took you far too long to type all that up. I sat here waiting for it for a good half hour.
I had to go take a crap. It was almost half as big as your ego. A triple flusher RyanMicah Memorial Turd.

I don't understand airflow? Wow. What's there to understand? It's simple science.
Well, it would be simpler for you if you understood some fundamentals, like air in = air out, but you've proven that such concepts are out of reach.

I sometimes rant for my own humor, and we were all just having a conversation. Then you had to show up and act like you were superior in knowledge and terminology.
That was no act. And I was involved in this conversation well before you were. Perhaps you should study up on free speech and forum rules too just so you can see how this all works. Here's the quick summary: If you post BS, I can reply and show you the error of your ways.

Nobody asked you.

It's a FORUM dude! Did you think you were emailing your buds?

Go ahead and water cool too. Become an expert and tell us all about it. We don't care.
I've done plenty of water cooling, TEC cooling, phase cooling, LN2 cooling and even swamp cooling. And again you're wrong because some people here DO care. Maybe not you but you're just jealous.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
What exactly are we debating again? I'm sorry...it seemed like you were analyzing everything I said so you could pick a fight. Grow up son.

Maybe you should learn to keep your word, like when you said:

"You're just looking for a fight and I'm done. "

You were done but now you're back spraying again? Who is looking for a fight? Who is calling names rather than talking real science. You lost so now you revert to childish tactics. sad.

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
LoL.

I still haven't done anything yet, but I have found some places in the yellow pages, that I'll hopefully get a minute tomorrow afternoon to call up and ask if they could cut a hole in my side panel and how much it would cost.

I'm also gonna probably start investing in tools, so I can do this myself eventually.

Once I find out more information and start getting somewhere I'll get back to you all.

Appreciate everyone's help. Thanks Storm

ChenMing

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
When investing in tools, remember a Bi-Metal Hole-Saw is required for case modification.

Morse AV72, 4-1/2" Bi-Metal Hole Saw, $23.29
http://www.amazon.com/MK-Morse-AV72.../ref=sr_1_18/002-0674833-2820003?ie=UTF8&s=hi

For a 120mm fan you need a 114.3mm (4.500") hole-saw, even though 120.7mm = 4.750". The easiest way to determine the size hole-saw needed for a particular fan, is to purchase the mating fan-grill first and measure it's diameter.

The diameter of the fan-grill = the diameter of the hole-saw. For example:
a 120mm fan-grill is: 114.3mm (4.500")
a 92mm fan-grill is: 89mm (3.500")
a 80mm fan-grill is: 76mm (3.000")

ChenMing

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
Another great tool to invest in for case modification is a Nibbler.

Case Cutting Tool Nibbler, $7.65
http://www.pctoys.com/840556056751.html

The advertisement claims: "Cuts perfect shapes into the side of your computer case." It will cut any shape desired in your computer case, not perfect ones though. I used the nibbler to cut a rectangular shape into my case, where I placed my floppy-drive, the bezel covering up the non-perfect shape. I used a hole-saw to cut a perfect hole for my 120mm fan.

FYI
I purchased a Sioux 4-1/2" Bi-Metal Hole Saw on eBay for $11.50, a separate arbor is required.