News Sidestep Windows 11's Microsoft Account Requirement With Rufus Beta

Giroro

Splendid
It continues to amaze me that Microsoft's solution to declining market share is to make their full OS worse, borderline unusable, in every conceivable way.

When in reality, their problem is schools being flooded with $99 chromebooks which cost significantly less than Microsoft's data tracking ad-service OS (a retail copy of Win 11 Home is $140)
Sure chromebooks also only exist to mine your data and sell you ads, but there's a reason more kids own a Chomebook than ever owned a Nintendo DS - it's because its cheaper for an elementary school to buy every kid a nearly-functional google browser than to build out a windows based computer lab.

But if both Windows and Chrome OS are ugly, locked-down, invasive, ad tracking spyware designed to corner you into their infinitely-priced subscription ecosystems... then what exactly is the selling point for the far more expensive option?

Reactions: ezst036

USAFRet

Titan
When in reality, their problem is schools being flooded with $99 chromebooks which cost significantly less than Microsoft's data tracking ad-service OS (a retail copy of Win 11 Home is $140)
The vast majority of people DO NOT purchase a standalone Windows OS.
It comes preinstalled on whatever system they buy.

Beyond that, the current majority of users looking for Win 11 are updating their Win 10 system to WIn 11. $0.
But most people are just not bothering with Win 11, because it provides no real change from 10.

I have both here in the house, and there is no magical reason to forcefit Win 11 on the unsupported systems.

Anyone who is buying a standalone Win 11 license is doing so on hardware that is already supported.

And the thrust of this article and the Rufus workaround for a MS account?
Having " a Microsoft account" is no real hassle. It is simply an email address and a password.
My MS account is a gmail address...lol
My daily driver accounts are both local. One Standard user and one Admin user.
The "MS account" is used rarely.
"OMG!!! Microsoft knows my google email address! Whatever shall I do???!!"

Reactions: Order 66 and KyaraM

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
It continues to amaze me that Microsoft's solution to declining market share is to make their full OS worse, borderline unusable, in every conceivable way.

I find it rather entertaining that you would say such. Ever used an Apple device? How far did you get in setup without an account? How about setting up an Android phone without a "Google" (etc.) account? How did that work out for you?

MS was LATE to that party, if anything.

Personally don't think that W11 is groundbreakingly different. I have found a few things that since working with it actually prefer. For instance, I LOVE having the file commands in the banner or "rt click menu". It is so much the same in most ways as to almost be a wash. Even the latest updates for W10 have made it look a whole lot like W11. I know it's a personal preference, but it's not the Devil it's been made out to be. Much of the irritating registration issues can be avoided simply by loading the Pro version as well.

Reactions: Order 66 and BTM18
The vast majority of people DO NOT purchase a standalone Windows OS.
It comes preinstalled on whatever system they buy.

Beyond that, the current majority of users looking for Win 11 are updating their Win 10 system to WIn 11. $0.
But most people are just not bothering with Win 11, because it provides no real change from 10.

I have both here in the house, and there is no magical reason to forcefit Win 11 on the unsupported systems.

Anyone who is buying a standalone Win 11 license is doing so on hardware that is already supported.

And the thrust of this article and the Rufus workaround for a MS account?
Having " a Microsoft account" is no real hassle. It is simply an email address and a password.
My MS account is a gmail address...lol
My daily driver accounts are both local. One Standard user and one Admin user.
The "MS account" is used rarely.
"OMG!!! Microsoft knows my google email address! Whatever shall I do???!!"

As i agree with 95% of it, the fast that I have "Older" PC users and they sometimes forget their password and then the only way to password reset is through MS which then half the time they only check on their PC and don't remember what their password is and it becomes a hassle vs. Boot to some Win PE enviroment, rename utilman, copy cmd and name as utilman, boot up, get to CMD, erase password. We in. Then undo what you did.

The other reason is on windows 11 i heard they are forcing even Pro version to user an MSA even when joining a domain!

And the forcing it on old hardware. Why upgrade from a 6/7th gen when they work just fine?

Reactions: egda23

USAFRet

Titan
As i agree with 95% of it, the fast that I have "Older" PC users and they sometimes forget their password and then the only way to password reset is through MS which then half the time they only check on their PC and don't remember what their password is and it becomes a hassle vs. Boot to some Win PE enviroment, rename utilman, copy cmd and name as utilman, boot up, get to CMD, erase password. We in. Then undo what you did.

The other reason is on windows 11 i heard they are forcing even Pro version to user an MSA even when joining a domain!

And the forcing it on old hardware. Why upgrade from a 6/7th gen when they work just fine?
Forgetting a password?
Well, thats all on you.

Joining a domain and it fails? Talk to your IT staff.

Older hardware? We have MANY users here who advocate that.
Just jump through these 18 hoops, install Win 11. Piece of cake!
(Of course, there is no real benefit of 11 vs 10, but....)

BTM18

Commendable
May 27, 2021
I find it rather entertaining that you would say such. Ever used an Apple device? How far did you get in setup without an account? How about setting up an Android phone without a "Google" (etc.) account? How did that work out for you?

MS was LATE to that party, if anything.

Personally don't think that W11 is groundbreakingly different. I have found a few things that since working with it actually prefer. For instance, I LOVE having the file commands in the banner or "rt click menu". It is so much the same in most ways as to almost be a wash. Even the latest updates for W10 have made it look a whole lot like W11. I know it's a personal preference, but it's not the Devil it's been made out to be. Much of the irritating registration issues can be avoided simply by loading the Pro version as well.
Spot on. The whining from anti 11 idiots is absurd. Most of those idiots have never even used it. Its real obvious.

Reactions: waltc3

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Sure, why not disable all of the Win11's newest security features? Who needs security, right? I've got every one of those features running, and I have had 0 (zero) problems with them. I've been running fTPM for at least 2.5 years, first on Win10, and now on Win11. No problems, no stutter, everything runs like a top. Been on Win11 a solid year next month--no problems. Microsoft's account is nothing at all, as you can install ~10 devices/computers to a single account. How does disabling all of that stuff to hack the OS "streamline" anything? Looks like a lot more trouble than it's worth...;) What happens when Microsoft updates its requirements and these hacks and workarounds no longer function--wait on Rufus to fix it? Rinse and repeat?

Almost forgot--if you have older hardware that doesn't support Win11 baseline requirements--then stay on Win10 where this stuff is optional, There's still a couple of years of development left for Win10.

Sure, why not disable all of the Win11's newest security features? Who needs security, right? I've got every one of those features running, and I have had 0 (zero) problems with them. I've been running fTPM for at least 2.5 years, first on Win10, and now on Win11. No problems, no stutter, everything runs like a top. Been on Win11 a solid year next month--no problems. Microsoft's account is nothing at all, as you can install ~10 devices/computers to a single account. How does disabling all of that stuff to hack the OS "streamline" anything? Looks like a lot more trouble than it's worth...;) What happens when Microsoft updates its requirements and these hacks and workarounds no longer function--wait on Rufus to fix it? Rinse and repeat?

Almost forgot--if you have older hardware that doesn't support Win11 baseline requirements--then stay on Win10 where this stuff is optional, There's still a couple of years of development left for Win10.

The problem with Windows 11 for many users is that these additional requirements are requirements and not optional when the requirements are entirely artificial. That's most peoples argument at least.

My biggest issue with some of these security measures is that they can slow down gaming performance, which is why i leave some of them disabled personally on my Win 11 system.

Reactions: horsecharles

USAFRet

Titan
The problem with Windows 11 for many users is that these additional requirements are requirements and not optional when the requirements are entirely artificial. That's most peoples argument at least.

My biggest issue with some of these security measures is that they can slow down gaming performance, which is why i leave some of them disabled personally on my Win 11 system.
The actual problem is that MS has been pushing the TPM thing for years, and the manufacturers blew them off.

Win 10 spoiled us on compatibility with older hardware.
In no previous version was compatibility with older hardware that easy. ALL of them needed reasonably current hardware.
But people think what happened with Win 10 is/was the norm. It was not.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I don't get the hate for needing a MS account. If that's the cost of not having to pay hundreds anymore to update Windows that may or may not be worse with the question of if you'll ever see drivers, ill take it.

Win 11 is no masterpiece, been an insider for a long time now, I'm actually waiting to be uninvolved (months now...), but progress is being made on it and in other areas you need to just either get used to it or find alternatives like for the Start Menu.

D

Deleted member 14196

So you're okay with me forcing you to sign up to an account so you can use your computer? And you're okay with me rebooting your PC remotely when I want?
Then go use Linux. You have a choice. But people love to crab and moan. Don’t like it!? Don’t use it

Also I can guarantee you that nobody’s going to read your word wall

Reactions: SyCoREAPER
Jun 28, 2022
Then go use Linux. You have a choice. But people love to crab and moan. Don’t like it!? Don’t use it

Also I can guarantee you that nobody’s going to read your word wall

If everybody followed your advice Windows wouldn't exist einstein. Duh.
I read the word wall btw.

D

Deleted member 14196

If everybody followed your advice Windows wouldn't exist einstein. Duh.
I read the word wall btw.
Your complaints and your responses make absolutely no sense. My point is don’t complain with word walls. Your complaints are weak and just a personal rant and that’s all they are. They are not meaningful in anyway except for you complaining so if you don’t like it please go away and use something else because crabbing about it isn’t going to make Microsoft change how they do business. They don’t care about you.

People like you just love to complain about everything that’s not within their control. You don’t like it? Who cares? Only you.

Also if you bother to do a little bit of research you would know how to disable all the things that you don’t like in windows

Reactions: SyCoREAPER

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
OMG I know just what you mean! I don't get the hate for mandatory updates and remote accounts either. Being asked and having options to choose from are such dumb ideas! Only losers want options in ife. I for one am totally anti-choice just like you are so I love being forced to sign up for remote accounts and install pointless updates I didn't ask for. I also love my hardware being made totally obselete on purpose so I have to buy new hardware to use my own computer. I love it when a company abandons its own products I purchased just to sell me a new version wih features I won't use. Who doesn't like being constantly abandoned and used? Backwards compatibility and legacy support be damned I say. I just don't get what all the fuss is about? Options are totally overrated in my books. I mean, yeah, sure, okay, Microsoft could make things optional for end users, but where's the fun in that!? Having less choice is the future of things. Anybody who disagrees is obviously an idiot. I for one think Windows NoChoice 11 is amazing and you should too. The less options the better IMO. I don't understand why anybody would disagree with me. I love love love my PC using bandwidth and rebooting without my permission and I love love love artificially inflated system requirements. That way there's less people to play with! I think the OS I've used for years suddenly becoming just like the other one is such a cool. idea. "My pc my choice"!? Is that how these anti-no-choice idiots feel? That's such a stupid way of feeling. I for one am glad Microsoft is destroying my options in life and I don't understand why nobody else is onboard with it like I am. It's so cofusing to me. Who doesn't like the things they're used to using being suddenly destroyed in front of their eyes?? Who doesn't like things being changed beyond all recognition without being asked first? Show me these idiots so I can avoid them. I bet those same idiots don't want to be vaccinated either and are still clinging onto Windows 7. Probably still using flip phones too. Weirdo's. I just wish we all looked exactly the same and there was just 1 game to play. That's what I call living the dream. Why do we all need seperate MS accounts anyway? Let's all share the exact same remote account and drive the exact same car and have the exact same hair cut and be the exact same gender. Options be damned. Let's be clones! You be me and I'll be you. Don't ask me just snatch it out of my hand in an obnoxious manner and I'm one happy bunny! Stop being so stubborn and give in to bad design. 2nd rate is 1st rate. Everybody knows that. Duh. Bite the bullet. Take the plunge. Pull the trigger. Being unhappy means you're happy really! If you don't agree then you're a weird idiot. Now then, I'm going to reboot your computer remotely when you least expect it and you need to sign up for an account with me to continue using your computer. Everybody okay with that? Good. And please don't complain about my wall of text because paragraphs are no longer an option and if you don't like that idea it's because'you're a moron.

Not going to bother reading whatever this most likely rant is. Learn to properly space and structure your statements and don't write a 20 page thesis. Short and to the point.

So you're okay with me forcing you to sign up to an account so you can use your computer? And you're okay with me rebooting your PC remotely when I want?

I never said that. I said I don't understand the hate for the account.
You can't even structure a constructive post that's legible or intelligible, You aren't rebooting anything remotely.

If you don't know how to lock down your PC, that's on you. I suggest you do some research before going on a ranting tirade (again, didn't bother reading it). It's not rocket science to bypass the requirement.

Lastly, you must be using an old flip phone. 🤣 Those don't need an account to use and you don't have to worry about "some grumpy forum guy" remotely rebooting your phone or wiping it.

You clearly have some deep seated emotional issues that need addressing. Good luck in life.

Edit:
LOL caught the angry troll ranting about something they don't even understand. NOW you are educating yourself on how to properly use Windows. Good job making yourself look like a fool.
https://ibb.co/WGq2SRX

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022
Your complaints and your responses make absolutely no sense. My point is don’t complain with word walls. Your complaints are weak and just a personal rant and that’s all they are. They are not meaningful in anyway except for you complaining so if you don’t like it please go away and use something else because crabbing about it isn’t going to make Microsoft change how they do business. They don’t care about you.

People like you just love to complain about everything that’s not within their control. You don’t like it? Who cares? Only you.

Also if you bother to do a little bit of research you would know how to disable all the things that you don’t like in windows

I have two laptops one of which runs Windows 7 and the other Windows 10. The Windows 7 laptop is going to become obselete and end up in a landfill site before its time (not very eco friendly) because MS won't allow me to install Win11 on it even though it could easily run it. Not that I want to install Win11 on tha laptop but companies will stop supporting Win7 thanks to MS. The Windows 10 laptop which isn't very old and is not at all low spec also fails the Windows 11 requirement check even though it could easily run it so that's another laptop destined for the landfill site before its time (so much for saving the planet). But who would want to upgrade to Win11 anyway if you're forced to sign up for a remote account and the original Start button is still missing? I'm still not impressed with the original Start button going walkabout. You think I forgot about that? You think I moved past it? I'm using a 3rd party Start button in Windows 10 which is absurd. It's like McDonalds selling Big Macs without meat patties and another company selling meat patties to put into my McDonalds Big Mac. You're calling me the stubborn one for not conforming to these new changes which I didn't request? How about instead you call MS stubborn for doing the exact opposite of what Windows users want from Windows? I want a new desktop PC and to use Windows 7 but all the new hardware has been intetionally blocked from using Windows 7. Your solution to these ridiculous problems is for me to just shut up and use Linux which is terrible advice but there's other options besides me shutting up or using Linux. I could become CEO of MS for example. I can't think of a reason why not. Where there's a will there's a way. Either MS conforms to my wishes or MS goes away. It's that simple. Resistance to me is futile. I want my original Start button back and the choice of no account, local account or remote account and the option to EASILY turn off the firewall/security/updates/nag screens/popup boxes/news. I also miss gadgets and this new UI just doesn't work for me.

Jun 28, 2022
Not going to bother reading whatever this most likely rant is. Learn to properly space and structure your statements and don't write a 20 page thesis. Short and to the point.

I never said that. I said I don't understand the hate for the account.
You can't even structure a constructive post that's legible or intelligible, You aren't rebooting anything remotely.

If you don't know how to lock down your PC, that's on you. I suggest you do some research before going on a ranting tirade (again, didn't bother reading it). It's not rocket science to bypass the requirement.

Lastly, you must be using an old flip phone. 🤣 Those don't need an account to use and you don't have to worry about "some grumpy forum guy" remotely rebooting your phone or wiping it.

You clearly have some deep seated emotional issues that need addressing. Good luck in life.

Edit:
LOL caught the angry troll ranting about something they don't even understand. NOW you are educating yourself on how to properly use Windows. Good job making yourself look like a fool.
https://ibb.co/WGq2SRX

Okay, einstein. Now go fly your space shuttle to Mars so I can marvel at how amazingly clever you are. But don't forget to ask MS for permission first.

USAFRet

Titan
I want my original Start button back
Interestingly, my Win 11 Start button is in the same place its always been, bottom left.
That is easily configurable, directly within Win 11.
Zstu8QZ.jpg

Reactions: KyaraM
Jun 28, 2022
And a note to all....cease with the personal attacks.
This is the one and only warning on this.

Anything more, and some people here will be unhappy.

It seems that somebody on your mod team didn't appreciate my satirical view of Windows 8/10/11 and deleted one of my comments which took me quiet a while to write. Very rude. While you're at it, why don't you burn a few books before somebody reads them too?

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
It seems that somebody on your mod team didn't appreciate my satirical view of Windows 8/10/11 and deleted one of my comments which took me quiet a while to write. Very rude. While you're at it, why don't you burn a few books before somebody reads them too?

This is a forum, not your personal blog; floods of stream-of-consciousness sarcasm and general nastiness are not appropriate.

And let's just say that the shades of Swift or Arbuthnot didn't spy a familiar soul.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019

It's a very poor argument, imo. "Some people think" a lot of things...;) Doesn't mean "some people" are correct, they often are not. Some people think AV/Malware software is "unnecessary", too. And yet it isn't, unless you are simply disconnected from the web permanently. I game a lot and don't see any problems or slowdowns, myself. Like I said, if you don't care about the security features, stick with Win10 where they are all optional. Rufus is a decent utility--I use it myself at times. But shutting off all that stuff just to run Win11 without it via Rufus seems like a lot of effort for what I see as essentially a 0 payoff. I'm sure that some people will be all over this, though, thinking they are pulling something off on Microsoft...;)