Sidestepping Runways

Arthur

When flying the glideslope in a B737-400 or any of the airliners, at what
altitude and distance from the runway do you begin a 'sidestep' if so
instructed and what is the best way to do it? Do you disengage the
autopilot and fly it down manually or what? Whew, so much to learn, so
little time...

Thanks,
Arthur

william

"Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in message

> When flying the glideslope in a B737-400 or any of the airliners, at what
> altitude and distance from the runway do you begin a 'sidestep' if so
> instructed and what is the best way to do it? Do you disengage the
> autopilot and fly it down manually or what? Whew, so much to learn, so
> little time...
>
> Thanks,
> Arthur

I will give this a stab :)

TWR (or APP if no TWR) will issue the side step at sufficient distance and
altitude to execute the maneuver. And I would disengage the autopilot and
hand fly the rest of the way down. Reason being the AP would be on the ILS
for the current rwy but to side step with the autopilot would mean dialing
in the new ILS freq and then the autopilot would have to hunt for the
intercept. Most likely would not be too successful.

The few sidesteps I have seen and heard on the radio at KMIA have all been
in VMC and at a sufficient distance for the pilot to move over. If you want
to practice a good side step online with VATSIM do a flight into TJSJ, San
Juan PR. Side steps happen there daily in real life between rwys 8 and 10
and the VATSIM controllers would only be too happy to accommodate your
request to execute one.

Bill

william

"William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message

> "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in message
>>
>> When flying the glideslope in a B737-400 or any of the airliners, at what
>> altitude and distance from the runway do you begin a 'sidestep' if so
>> instructed and what is the best way to do it? Do you disengage the
>> autopilot and fly it down manually or what? Whew, so much to learn, so
>> little time...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Arthur
>>

> I will give this a stab :)
>
> TWR (or APP if no TWR) will issue the side step at sufficient distance
> and altitude to execute the maneuver. And I would disengage the autopilot
> and hand fly the rest of the way down. Reason being the AP would be on the
> ILS for the current rwy but to side step with the autopilot would mean
> dialing in the new ILS freq and then the autopilot would have to hunt for
> the intercept. Most likely would not be too successful.
>
> The few sidesteps I have seen and heard on the radio at KMIA have all been
> in VMC and at a sufficient distance for the pilot to move over. If you
> want to practice a good side step online with VATSIM do a flight into
> TJSJ, San Juan PR. Side steps happen there daily in real life between rwys
> 8 and 10 and the VATSIM controllers would only be too happy to accommodate
> your request to execute one.
>
> Bill
A little more info

http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/aim/Chap5/aim0504.html#5-4-18

Bill

Arthur

Many thanks, Bill........you stabbed perfectly.

Arthur