[SOLVED] Sign of a dead HDD, SATA cable, or Port?

JoshTheG

Distinguished
May 16, 2013
Got hit with a power outage a few days ago, PC began acting wonky. I finally have got it to boot into Windows 10, but it will ONLY go when I have disconnected my HDD from PSU/SATA power.

I have OS installed on a separate SDD, and never had problems having both connected before (used my HDD mainly to store games)

Could the power outage have fried my HDD? Maybe just the SATA cable? Or possible the SATA ports?

I can still see the HDD being recognized in BIOS if I have it plugged in, so I am not sure if it is the ports...

Solution
try putting it in another port with the same cable.
also, if you have a spare sata cable, try that on the same port, then a different port.
sata cables are dirt cheap so please try to get one for the 2nd step. drives dont come with cables anyway so if you needed another drive ever you might as well have one.

also, if the drive is detected by the bios, maybe its just corrupted and windows doesnt want it booted with because it has a file that blocks it from doing so.
so if the first 2 steps fail, might i suggest formatting it?
also, if you have a spare sata cable, try that on the same port, then a different port.
sata cables are dirt cheap so please try to get one for the 2nd step. drives dont come with cables anyway so if you needed another drive ever you might as well have one.

also, if the drive is detected by the bios, maybe its just corrupted and windows doesnt want it booted with because it has a file that blocks it from doing so.

Solution

JoshTheG

Distinguished
May 16, 2013

I tried moving it to other SATA ports, same issue where the PC just won't boot to windows with it plugged in. I do not have any spare SATA cables to try, unfortunately, and they look to be about $15 each on Amazon, which I just can't justify right now.

Is it possible to format the HDD when I can't actually use my computer with it plugged in? If I boot it, and then connect it, would it show up do you think?Or is this a bad idea. THnx

I tried moving it to other SATA ports, same issue where the PC just won't boot to windows with it plugged in. I do not have any spare SATA cables to try, unfortunately, and they look to be about $15 each on Amazon, which I just can't justify right now.

Is it possible to format the HDD when I can't actually use my computer with it plugged in? If I boot it, and then connect it, would it show up do you think?Or is this a bad idea. THnx
you cant hot plug it. atleast not normally
you should be able to format it from the bios though. google how to.
and, 15$ for a sata cable??? they should be 2 or 3 at most.
search at a local retailer if you can.