Sign-Ups For Google Fiber Begin In Austin

Status
Not open for further replies.

poxenium

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
Move to Romania! We have 1000Mbps, 500Mbps and 1000Mbps from the top three national internet providers (Telekom, UPC and RCS-RDS) since the beginning of 2014. Prices are between 10 and 20 USD (including VAT). ;)

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Something about telecomm I don't understand is this. If the signals are electrical impulse, and electricity travels at near light speed, why is the internet so slow?

Be0wulf22

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Kep55, Has to do with the length of the signal. Yes, they travel at the speed of light, but if I want to send 1 bit of information and the signal starts now, lasts for 1 second, then ends, the start of the signal may have reached you at the speed of light but you had to wait 1 second to get to the end of the signal. This of course ignores all other network factors such as the additional routers it would need to go through.

Be0wulf22

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Kep55, Has to do with the length of the signal. Yes, they travel at the speed of light, but if I want to send 1 bit of information and the signal starts now, lasts for 1 second, then ends, the start of the signal may have reached you at the speed of light but you had to wait 1 second to get to the end of the signal. This of course ignores all other network factors such as the additional routers it would need to go through.

Be0wulf22

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010

axehand13

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Well electricity doesn't flow through copper at the speed of light. But it isn't so much as speed as it is frequency. Copper wire, you can hit around 100~300Mhz, and you are limited to so many feet depending on attenuation and other factors. Light is in the terahertz range the bandwidth is orders of magnitude larger, not to mention light can travel a lot father down optic fiber cable without loss vs electricity on copper. And they haven't even tried to modulate light frequency yet. So there is so much more that can be developed. Think of terabit service.

Rosanjin

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
As a North Austinite, I hope my neighbors are as excited about this as I am.

And if they're not signing up in sufficient quantities near the deadline, I may have to become..........persuasive.

**grabs bullhorn and sandwich board**

Rosanjin

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
As a North Austinite, I hope my neighbors are as excited about this as I am.

And if they're not signing up in sufficient quantities near the deadline, I may have to become..........persuasive.

**grabs bullhorn and sandwich board**

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Wow. Fiber. If only the folk really understood how it would get the property values going up. It is a game changer. I am so jealous.

Status
Not open for further replies.