Question Signal Loss after applying load to GPU (Starting Game / Stress Testing)

Jun 29, 2019
Hey all,
(Had no problems till now)
Everything will be working fine with the resolution being perfect however, when I attempt to play a game (ffxiv for example) or run a stress test of the GPU (using Kombustor) both monitors lose signal.
Usually the computer is still running perfectly fine (can interact using keyboard and can hear sounds etc just no signal) other times it will just completely freeze up with no signal and i will have to hard reset (lets ignore these ones for now though).
The real kicker is when i put it it to sleep and wake it up only the main monitor is working and its doing so at 1024 x 768 Res and I can see the windows notification saying display driver failed to start.
After a hard reset (or two) everything is working again.
Am i correct in assuming the GPU is buggered? (this is a 4ish year old card)

Specs
Intel Core i5 4690K 3.50 GHz Processor
MSI Z97 Gaming 3 Motherboard
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
8GB DDR3 RAM
120GB SSD + 2TB HDD
EVGA 650W 80+GOLD

Heres the GPU stats (testing with ffxiv) when it crashes, before the crash it was able to run the full title cinematic without issue, only when actually attempting to get in game does it die
(pics were not working for some reason)
http://puu.sh/DMt9L/c50a55c306.png

I have been thinking about upgrading my whole setup at some point so i am willing to just get a new GPU if needed.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited: