signal strength

I have a dlink DI-624 wireless router (and DWL-G650) with latest firmware.
My problem is that when I use
the internet thru a wireless connection, the signal strength is just 55%
even though my router is
just 8 feet away. I see a different access point thru the DLink utilitty
which is at 85% strength.
How is this possible ? Somebody's signal is more stronger than mine when my
router is very near ?

> I have a dlink DI-624 wireless router (and DWL-G650) with latest firmware.
> My problem is that when I use
> the internet thru a wireless connection, the signal strength is just 55%
> even though my router is
> just 8 feet away. I see a different access point thru the DLink utilitty
> which is at 85% strength.
> How is this possible ? Somebody's signal is more stronger than mine when
my
> router is very near ?

Might try moving your router to a slightly different location.
I've di-624a/dwlg650a and had around 70-80% signal at 35' across a large
room - sat the router about 6' high and maybe two feet away from the wall
which gave the best signal - even little moves can make a big difference.

Your neighbor might have an antenna on his router or your router has a wall
or something too close.

It may be interference from a non-WiFi device using the ISM band: microwave
oven, baby monitor, wireless camera, cordless phone. The interference may
be more in the channel your AP is using than in the channel of your
neighbor's AP. Try changing channels.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.