Question Signal worse with Asus AiMesh node versus netgear extender

Boyzfx

Prominent
Nov 7, 2021
Hello

Previously I used a netgear extender ex8000 and my doorbell cameras had a signal of -38 and -42 respectively

Got a another asus ax3000 router to use as a aimesh node and binded the cameras to the new device but the signal is now -45 and -50 respectively

The node is in the same location as the extender was and both are on a 2.4ghz guest network

Originally on the extender they were not on a guest network but extension netwoeks of my two bands

Any ideas as to why the signal strength would be worse while using mesh?

Wifi is almost a magic trick with all the things involved. Wifi radio signals are affected by all kinds of things. You walking through a room changes the signal pattern. Difference between your hardware can be tiny difference between how the antenna and say the walls of your house are positioned.

In general all devices put out the legal maximum power, you would have to check the fcc database to be sure you seldom find anything other than a battery powered router that does not transmit at legal maximum.

Because you are using 2.4g it does reduce the number of variables. Check that you are using the same radio channel as before. The old way used to be to use channels 1,6 or 11. Now days with 40mhz radio channels it is harder to say since routers are inconsistent in how they set it but it would be around 4 or 9 you set.

Does this actually cause you a problem. Low signal levels will work fine as long as there is not a strong interfering signals.

This is why I use Ubiquiti, because I can have a separate SSID for each node. For any fixed wifi objects, like TV boxes and security cameras which never move location. I manually choose the exact node I want to connect it to. Before this, my cameras would sometimes latch onto the wrong node while one node was updating software or something, and it would stay latched to that node when I didn't want it to.

For my mobile devices like smartphones, I use my main SSID and roam between nodes.