[SOLVED] Significant drop in FPS with my new monitor

Sep 10, 2020
Thanks for taking a second to read. I am not that tech savy but willing to walk through the steps if someone can point me in the right direction.

I just bought a new monitor to play Apex Legends on. I was playing on a 60hz monitor with a steady 144fps with a little fluctuations here and there depending on demand of what I was doing in the game but for all intensive purposes pretty static at 144. I bought the Lenovo Legion Y25-25 24.5 inch 244hz monitor thinking i’d be able to up the refresh rate and the game would run even smoother at 144fps but since the switch to the new monitor I am getting like this weird rubber banding action happening almost like it’s a connection issue but it’s not and my FPS will fluctuate a lot now. Feels like my machine is bottlenecking. Anyone have any thoughts on how to troubleshoot? Was hoping this would be just plug and play.

My computer specs are albeit a little old I think decent enough to run Apex fine.

GTX 1080
i6700k processor
16G RAM
625w power supply
if you need more info just ask.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
It's very possible that your computer simply can't handle 240fps, Apex is a very CPU intensive game, and that CPU is barely suited for a 1060, let alone a 1080. I'd try cutting down the refresh rate in Nvidia Control Panel to 144hz and see if that makes any difference, because the effect you're describing may be screen tearing. Are you using HDMI or Display Port? DP is needed to run 240hz, most HDMI cables only go up to 120.

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
It's very possible that your computer simply can't handle 240fps, Apex is a very CPU intensive game, and that CPU is barely suited for a 1060, let alone a 1080. I'd try cutting down the refresh rate in Nvidia Control Panel to 144hz and see if that makes any difference, because the effect you're describing may be screen tearing. Are you using HDMI or Display Port? DP is needed to run 240hz, most HDMI cables only go up to 120.

Solution
Sep 10, 2020
Currently at the moment I am using a HMDI cord. I didn't know about this Display Port cable until about a few days ago. Should I be using that cord instead of the HDMI? Also there are so many variations when I was looking through NewEgg or Amazon that I didn't know which one to buy. I literally just got this monitor yesterday so trying to troubleshoot as quickly as possible. If I need to order the Display Cables I will just want to buy the right ones and I will go into the Nvidia Control Panel and let you know if that toggle worked.

Appreciate the response @iiSlashr