Significant lag when running Ethernet through router

manwithnoshoes

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
Lately I've been running into an issue with my router. I use Ethernet for my desktop, but I like to have a wireless network going for my phone and other smaller devices. So, I run my Ethernet cable through my router, and until recently it has worked well.

However, over the past few days I've noticed that my ping goes up tremendously in any and all games while on the wire, and unusually around the same time, 9 P.M. or so. Plugging the Ethernet into the modem fixes the problem instantly. So what is happening here? Is there a way I can test my router to see what is going on?

For reference, the model is a TP-LINK TL-WDR4300 Wireless N750.

Solution
I understand your setup has a separate modem and router.

If it were me, based on what you've said, I would buy another router as all the low-end and mid-priced ones have a reputation for misbehaving after they've been in use for a while.

I got through three mid-priced routers within 2 years. Currently using an expensive Billion router and no problems after 4 years. Could have saved quite a bit of money If I'd bought a Billion router to start with!

Draytek routers are similarly expensive and durable like Billion ones.
I understand your setup has a separate modem and router.

If it were me, based on what you've said, I would buy another router as all the low-end and mid-priced ones have a reputation for misbehaving after they've been in use for a while.

I got through three mid-priced routers within 2 years. Currently using an expensive Billion router and no problems after 4 years. Could have saved quite a bit of money If I'd bought a Billion router to start with!

Draytek routers are similarly expensive and durable like Billion ones.

Solution

manwithnoshoes

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

Thanks, I'll definitely look into something a little higher quality.

I did have one other question though. I switched over to wireless, and found all my problems are gone. Could it have to do with the cable? I'm still going to get a better router, but I'm just curious.

"I switched over to wireless, and found all my problems are gone"

Oh. well that does change my opinion somewhat as it's usually the wireless side of a router that begins to fail first, well that's certainly been my experience.

I doubt it's the cable though as presumably you used the same cable to plug directly in to the modem didn't you?
"Plugging the Ethernet into the modem fixes the problem instantly".

I've nothing further to add.