[SOLVED] Significant system instability and odd behaviour (Ryzen 3400G)

FelixLive44

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017
Hi,

I've built a system for my dad as he asked for a quieter system than his 5yh Dell Optiplex. It used to run well but since he got a 4k monitor it started pushing the old AMD GPU to its limits and after I gifted him Wallpaper engine, it would run but be as loud as a jet engine.

I built a system with a 3400G, it's not the first time I use an AMD APU but the first time I've used the 3400G (others were mainly 3200G). That being said, I've been getting the weirdest issues that I cannot seem to find any information about, as in I can't find anyone with the same issues as me. I've tried almost all I know and could find but I'm at a loss now so I've come here...

Specs :
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (Stock)
Mobo - ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 (Updated BIOS)
RAM - 2×8GB G.Skill Aegis F4-3000C16D-16GISB (@ Default 2133)
SSD - Crucial BX500 1TB (With a Windows 10 install from Dell, ripped from the Optiplex, is a non-original part)
PSU - Corsair CV450-450W
CPU Cooler - NH-U9S
Case fan - Scythe Kaze Flex (×1)
Case : DEEPCOOL Matrexx 30
All components except the SSD are new, and the SSD works perfectly in the other system and is relatively new (less than 6 months old).

1. The issues I'm getting are varying types of crashes and general system instability, which include :
  1. Full system restart, system stability tab shows "Windows did not shutdown correctly", and "Windows shutdown at [time] was unexpected". No BSoD, no dump, no error code from event manager (that is, an error that seemed related)
  2. System hang (I think this is the correct term), as in the system fully stops, but fans keep spinning, display is still open and peripherals still have power. Toggling Caps Lock on the keyboard does not change the kb's caps lock indicator light and requires a system shutdown by holding power button
  3. System hang with display entering sleep, the peripherals still behave the same
  4. White noise ("snow") on the monitor (stopped occurring, see further down). Re-plugging the HDMI cable would solve it and AMD drivers would detect the event as a bug and offer to report it
2. Other notes regarding instability or other pertinent stuff :
  • After a system restart (see item 1 on list 1), the display has weird green noise generalized over the whole display and concentrated on horizontal bars. An AMD drivers update caused this noise the become significantly worse when it occurred. After system loads windows, the noise stops. This only occurs if the system did a crash as described in item 1 list 1.
  • Running 3DMark Night Raid windowed at 1080p, then 4K, both @ 60Hz works perfectly, no crash out of the (non-extensive) 3 tests I did.
  • Outside of 3DMark, the system would crash in one of the first 3 ways (see list 1) described if GPU usage was higher than 70% or 80% for a small amount of time, or if multiple windows were open at the same time. This happened faster (not at different loads, just faster) if wallpaper engine was running (always the same slightly animated 4k wallpaper at 25FPS)
  • 4K Fullscreen YouTube would not cause any issues
  • 3DMark could not run in fullscreen, but this is likely due to a bad install, I think (some packages could not install, but the app still worked in windowed)
  • Temps would never go higher than 65°C and GPU or CPU usage would reach and stay at 100% for some time in 3DMark without causing issues
3. Trouble shooting steps I've attempted, in order :
  1. Changed output to 1080p from 4K, delayed the same type of issues (no change, just delayed). (eventually reverted)
  2. Changed RAM kit (second RAM kit was also on the mb's QVL list, 2×4GB CMV4GX4M1A2133C15), nothing changed except I would freeze when loading something large, requiring a restart (was reverted)
  3. Did sfc /scannow, system would crash (item 1 list 1) always around 4%.
  4. Did memtest86 once, no errors
  5. Updated BIOS from ASRock from 3.7 to 4.4, was successful. Significantly reduced the amount of full restart (item 1 list 1) but introduced items 2, 3 and 4 of list 1. Overall more stable. (Kept)
  6. Did sfc /scannow again, this time the scan was successful and reported nothing wrong
  7. Changed HDMI cable, issue 4 of list 1 stopped occuring. (Kept)
  8. Updated AMD graphics drivers from Recommended to Optional (sorry, I'm I don't have the PC right now and I can't find the exact versions with certainty). Significantly helped system stability, now crashes only occured when desktop is overloaded (too many windows/tabs, staying above 70% GPU usage for too long)instead of randomly. (Kept)
I would like to clarify that since the first time I put this computer together, it has never given a blue screen nor a dump, ever. Windows is up to date.

4. Troubleshooting steps I have NOT tried yet (for some situational reasons) :
  1. Reinstalling Windows
  2. SSD Wipe then clean Windows install
  3. Overall, anything that would prevent getting a functional system when putting the SSD back in the Optiplex
I currently suspect a couple of things to be the cause of my issues. Most likely, I think, in order :
  • Residual Intel drivers (Optiplex was an Intel CPU and AMD GPU)
  • Residual Dell software
  • Bad CPU
  • Bad Mobo
  • Bad AMD drivers

At this point, I have no clue what is causing this. Since I'm to keep the SSD as it is until I have a functional system, as this is an active work system, I can't try doing a fresh Windows install which I think is the most likely solution, but I'd like to know if anyone recognizes these issues. If so, I'm still going to try a fresh Windows 10 install tomorrow on an empty drive, but I'd like to know if these issues are likely symptoms of software issues (Windows, drivers, ...) or hardware issues (bad CPU/mobo).

It's probably my 5th system I built and my 4th with AMD APUs, I've used the same mobo before with no issues with a 3200G and Aegis RAM is likely not the same but I've used Aegis before. I've never had a system never give me info on crashes like this either and I can't find anything relevant.

Essentially, if someone knows anything that could help me fix this or understand what's wrong or what is likely the cause, I'd love to know.

Thank you for any help. I should get the PC in my hands tomorrow so I can try stuff or clarify info then.

Good day

Solution
Hi FelixLive44.

What is probably your issue.

"With a Windows 10 install from Dell, ripped from the Optiplex, is a non-original part"

You have to reinstall Windows. There are drivers and registry entries from your old system still in the OS and you're using that on the new system. It can creates all sort of issues.

If you want to keep the OS than put that drive back in the other system and buy another SSD for the new system and install Windows.
Hi FelixLive44.

"With a Windows 10 install from Dell, ripped from the Optiplex, is a non-original part"

You have to reinstall Windows. There are drivers and registry entries from your old system still in the OS and you're using that on the new system. It can creates all sort of issues.

If you want to keep the OS than put that drive back in the other system and buy another SSD for the new system and install Windows.

Solution

FelixLive44

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017
Hi FelixLive44.

That's what I think too. I'm taking the system back to my place tomorrow and I'll do just that, I'll update if it solved it.