Question Significant Upgrade from an i7-4510U SSD laptop?

SparkyNZ

Commendable
Mar 19, 2020
I have an old Lenovo U430P with a 4th Gen i7-4510U, 8Gig RAM (Windows ) and SSD. I don't care about graphics and games. I use it to write music on the go using VST instruments (using Renoise) and I've started maxing out the CPU.

What CPU would offer a significant speed increase to this one? I'd be looking to replace the laptop with another second-hand one but just wondering what sort of CPU to look for. I've had a look at some sites that show comparisons but they seem to be more processor feature comparison rather than speed comparisons for different use cases.

Very open-ended question, I know..

Depends on your budget. In general all you need to do is find a system with a newer i7, anything in the last few years will be faster. Also your model is a U which is not really a great i7 model, it's a dual core CPU which may be why it's having issues with your program.

Reactions: SparkyNZ

SparkyNZ

Commendable
Mar 19, 2020
Depends on your budget. In general all you need to do is find a system with a newer i7, anything in the last few years will be faster. Also your model is a U which is not really a great i7 model, it's a dual core CPU which may be why it's having issues with your program.

Thanks for the tip about the U - that is really really useful to know! If I can find a non-U newer generation machine with at least quad cores, that may make a significant difference. Renoise allows up to 4 cores to be used. Usually with audio issues tend to be with the audio interface but mine is definitely CPU in this case. I have old HP Z200 server PC and that works perfectly in comparison to my laptop.