Signing in with TV provider question

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I recently bought a Firestick. I also have Dish. I was able to buy a monthly subscription to Paramount Plus so I can watch the CBS shows. Some other local stations allow you to watch for free. ABC does not. It wants you to sign in with a TV provider or purchase Sling or Hulu or Youtube TV or some other expensive service. Here is my question, if I were to sign in with my Dish account and then cancel my Dish account would it continue to work or does the sign in need to be verified somehow behind the scenes whenever I go to watch something like ABC?

I don't understand why they don't just offer a paid monthly subscription like Paramount Plus does. I literally only watch ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and CW with the occasional on demand movie rental.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I recently bought a Firestick. I also have Dish. I was able to buy a monthly subscription to Paramount Plus so I can watch the CBS shows. Some other local stations allow you to watch for free. ABC does not. It wants you to sign in with a TV provider or purchase Sling or Hulu or Youtube TV or some other expensive service. Here is my question, if I were to sign in with my Dish account and then cancel my Dish account would it continue to work or does the sign in need to be verified somehow behind the scenes whenever I go to watch something like ABC?

I don't understand why they don't just offer a paid monthly subscription like Paramount Plus does. I literally only watch ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and CW with the occasional on demand movie rental.

It won't have to be verified every time you watch something like ABC, but verifications of this type will check in periodically, generally monthly, as subscriptions are generally monthly. Which is perfectly reasonable; once you have canceled your Dish Network, you're no longer entitled to any of the benefits of your Dish Network subscription.

Reactions: emitfudd

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
It won't have to be verified every time you watch something like ABC, but verifications of this type will check in periodically, generally monthly, as subscriptions are generally monthly. Which is perfectly reasonable; once you have canceled your Dish Network, you're no longer entitled to any of the benefits of your Dish Network subscription.
Thanks, that's what I figured. I just noticed Hulu is offering the basic package for 99 cents/mo for a year. Now I am trying to figure out if I can get local stations through Hulu's basic service or have to get the $65/mo package.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thanks, that's what I figured. I just noticed Hulu is offering the basic package for 99 cents/mo for a year. Now I am trying to figure out if I can get local stations through Hulu's basic service or have to get the $65/mo package.

Depend what exactly you're referring to. The national shows that are shown ought to be on Hulu, but things that are actually local and regional, you'd need the live TV package.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
Depend what exactly you're referring to. The national shows that are shown ought to be on Hulu, but things that are actually local and regional, you'd need the live TV package.
I guess I would consider ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX to be "national shows". On Hulu's website under the basic package it lists all these channels through the on demand library. I assume I would have to wait until the next day to watch a new show but I am fine with that.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
Can anyone that uses Hulu confirm a few things.

Can you watch most shows in 1080p?

Can you watch most shows with Dolby digital 5.1?

For anyone with the basic package, not the live one, can you watch the current season of most shows that are on the major networks, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX? Is there only a delay of 24 hrs, 8 days, etc. before you can watch in the Hulu streaming library?

D

Deleted member 14196

I think it’s generally available the day after it goes live but I don’t watch much Hulu anymore

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
Update: I signed up for a 30 day free trial to see what results I would get. It appears that I am getting 1080 picture but the sound is about a 50/50 mix of stereo and 5.1. After watching tv through 5.1 surround sound for the last decade or more I refuse to watch shows in stereo. It's too bad because for $12/mo for the ad free package I would drop Dish in a heartbeat. Maybe someday Hulu will smarten up and broadcast everything in 5.1.

TRENDING THREADS