Signs of cpu failure

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Hi

I would like to know what are some signs of cpu failure/defect. I recently purchased a new cpu and built a new computer. I have noticed that occasionally my mouse would lag for 1/4 a second and then continue to move again. I can't help but wonder if my cpu is defected.

thanks

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

what if the harddrive is also new ..... lol

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

how do i ensure the mb bios is up to date? I have the driver installed (with the motherboard dvd) already so I think I should be fine.

on the side note, what are the signs of motherboard failure??

InvalidError

Titan
Most of the times I have encountered periodic lag, it got resolved by re-installing the OS... probably something going wrong somewhere along so many patches, driver updates, software (un)installs, etc. over the year or two between re-installs.

When HDDs start going bad, the whole system usually locks up until the OS stops retrying (often followed by a crash screen) or the operation is successful, which usually takes a few seconds. As it gets worse, the freezes become increasingly frequent and booting the OS takes forever if it even completes.

I have been relatively lucky with my HDD misfortunes since all my HDDs followed that progressive failure pattern which allowed me to recover just about everything every time before the HDD failed completely, usually while full-formatting it before RMA.

redit

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
I've had a few HDD's go bad and it always presented (with one catastrophic exception) as an OS glitch. Things would freeze up and act weird. The problems would be intermittent, but grow over time. As mentioned above by others, I'd update everything and see if that helps.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
so.....not cpu/motherboard?

Also "I would like to know, I just tried OCing my cpu and my computer frozen on me(i use easytune5). i was forced to reboot it and by the time it is in windows again the cpu clock jumps to 4.3 ghz with a 42 multiplier. i tried this a few times today and finally decided that it is too dangerous so i set everything back to default.

Given it was frozen, would i have accidentally damaged the cpu somehow?Could this cause lag in windows or games in the future?

InvalidError

Titan

While auto-overclocking often makes questionable to potentially dangerous choices, damage to the CPU is fairly unlikely.

Another thing to check (just in case) would be CPU temperature with HWInfo or other. Maybe your HSF isn't properly installed.

Yet another possibility is that your not-quite-stable OC may have corrupted some files in your OS. This happened to me at least twice. The first time, the OS would semi-periodically freeze while trying to reload corrupted processes and caused very long boot times while the second corrupted some boot files and caused Windows to crash during boot.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
I am currently not experiencing any OS problems or anything. But I feel like I have been getting a bit of micro stutter while in BF3. I don't know if it has happened before I OC and im being paranoid or it is caused by improper OCing, so I would like to know if micro stutter in games are one of the signs that your cpu is damaged from OC?

Hi :)

No your cpu is not damaged....

Cpu`s either work or don't work.... and if they don't work you computer will NOT even start...

All the best Brett :)

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

I see,same deal with motherboard too? so micro stutter is either gpu/software?

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

But isn't its performance/stability affected by improper use as well?

InvalidError

Titan

A CPU can certainly be damaged in ways that may not necessarily prevent it from booting if whatever damage occurred requires a particular sequence of events to trigger a failure and does not happen during boot. Not every structure within a CPU is absolutely critical and lead to obvious symptoms.

Ex.: busted 'hit' line in Tag-RAM may simply only affect addresses with a certain bit pattern when the address is put on a specific line of a specific set but work fine on any other cache line of any other set so the chance of running into the specific failure may be under 5% and even when triggered, all it might do is cause the CPU to evict another cache line and put the address there. The failure would remain almost imperceptible unless a particular patch of code causes tons of cache trashing involving that problematic line and address range which may make it behave worse than it should but still continue working otherwise normally.

You can have failures in an ALU that only manifest themselves when certain values are involved... think about the FP-bug on early Pentiums. Apart from divisions involving one of the few omitted lookup table entries in the FDIV circuitry, the CPUs were otherwise working fine. It took months for people to find out about it and several more months for Intel to admit this could be a problem.

Not every 'failure' causes CPUs to go up in flame or refuse booting. Many failures can cause subtle to nearly undetectable misbehavior that people may end up chalking up to random software bugs.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

no i haven't , I only see a hirens boot cd, hirens regenerator...etc on google. So Im unsure of which "hirens" i should be downloading.