Question Signs SSD failed

Jul 14, 2021
My SSD has been causing me some problems. It has the OS on it so my PC has been going to BIOS every time it starts. At first the SSD just wasn't recognised at it was only until it swapped sata cables and ports did it work again. But it has stopped working again but the SSD does show in BIOS but states - "SM2246AA 1023MB" - does the 1023MB indicated the SSD has failed since the storage should be much higher?

That it still shows in the BIOS but at only 1023 MB implies seemingly that it is communicating via SATA, but, might now only see a fraction of it's capacity, perhaps it's faster cache only? Generally, if those symptoms follow the drive despite another SATA data/power cable, it is likely done for, or, quite close to same.

Jul 14, 2021
If you have access to other computer, you can connect your SSD to that computer to have a look at it, and maybe try to fix it from that computer.

If you have access to other computer, you can connect your SSD to that computer to have a look at it, and maybe try to fix it from that computer.
I've only got a laptop so will using a USB/SATA cable be ok to check the SSD on the laptop? I have been recommended software like Crystaldiskinfo to check the SSD but is there anything else that I should look out for?

Jul 14, 2021
That it still shows in the BIOS but at only 1023 MB implies seemingly that it is communicating via SATA, but, might now only see a fraction of it's capacity, perhaps it's faster cache only? Generally, if those symptoms follow the drive despite another SATA data/power cable, it is likely done for, or, quite close to same.

So if the SSD is done, with Windows on it, then is the best bet to get a new SSD and install windows on it - as am I right in thinking that the HDD will have to be wiped to install windows on that?