Question Signs to look out for (short circuit)

Feb 27, 2021
Hi

What would be the signs to look out for when checking the laptop (hardware) for being fried/short circuited etc.?
Saw a "spark" when connecting the display after the original cracked and the laptop went dead.
Have not been able to start it up since, no beeps, nothing.
Under the case everything looks alright - nothing stands out , looks "blown", "scorched" or anything as such.
Have left the battery out and pressed the power button as well.

Any tips/ideas?

nothing stands out , looks "blown", "scorched" or anything as such.
usually it would be accompanied by a strong burned\melted plastic smell.
was the spark at the external display port or elsewhere?

i would contact manufacturer tech support and see if there is a local repair shop tied to the warranty service that you can take it to.

if out of warranty;
take it to a shop and cover an examination yourself.
or you can disassemble the entire system and check for noticeable damage.
it's fairly easy to find replacement parts for most laptops now, thanks to Amazon.

Feb 27, 2021
Thank you for the response.
So the guy at the repair shop said it's the motherboard, fried, now doing the extra check ups. Its a good gaming MSI laptop - is it normal for the motherboard to fry in a such a laptop when changing SCREENS?

definitely not normal.
all modern displays are plug n play, so there shouldn't be power surges due to switching.
possibly a loosely connected port that caused a short, but really have no idea why this would happen.
not a very common occurrence from what i've seen\read over the last couple decades.

if it is still under warranty, MSI should offer a replacement or free "repair".

Feb 27, 2021
Yeah I can't still figure this out. Thanks for the response.

Not sure if MSI will cover it due to it having been open, but wouldn't mind their opinion anyway.

What an insane situation. Thanks again