Question Silence in mind

May 14, 2019
Opinions on Dark Rock Pro 4 and 2x 140 mm Be quiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM fans on front, 2x same fans on top and one 120 mm Be quiet! on the back mounted in a Meshify c. Is it overkill if I want a system that is as quiet as possible without using any foam?

I don't know if it's over-kill or not, but I went with the same cooler, with the same fans as intakes, in front, and another pair of intakes on the bottom of my case; with the same fans exhausting at top and one at the rear for exhaust. So far, it moves plenty of air, and is nice and quiet.

Intake stream is currently 21.7°C with a 23.5°C exhaust stream, μP is at 35.6°C.

Last edited:

DavidM012

Distinguished
be quiets are quiet(ish) but not silent. They will be silent at low loads when pwm is controlling the speed but if you wanted to run them at full speed you would hear some droning air turbulence that would be drowned by ambient sounds if you are standing within 2m of the pc. From 2 meters you wouldn't hear anything much. Every 10db(a) is twice as loud.

There are some noctuas as quiet as the enermax's but they get there simply by turning the rpm down by default with a lower cfm.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
If you could provide some more detail about what system you're trying to cool as quietly as possible that would help a lot. Generally though, try for as few fans as possible, while making those fans the largest as possible. Noctua fans are a great option for this.

May 14, 2019
Thanks for all your answers! I chose to go with a single Noctua Chromax in the back and 2x 140 mm Be Quiets in the front. Chromax provides some sleek looks and Silent Wings were easy to find for me