[SOLVED] Silencio S600 + Noctua NH-D15 + RTX 2070 is a bad mix ?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
After having build a new computer around Aeros Z390 pro + i9 9900k + Noctua cooler and the above case. I have had an issue. The 2nd fan couldn't fit if my Corsair vengence ram were in dual channel confic, The case has a 170 mm clearence but looks good on my desk. Howeve now r I am forced to set the ram in single channel.

And here is the question. Does Noctua fan a smaller fan? Which I can use as a 2nd fan? But looking at bright side my CPU temp isn't over 65 C now :)

Or do Cooler Master produce a cooler on par with the Noctua ? Which ran 9900k safely?

Last edited:
Solution
Noctua makes a high compatibility of the NH-D15 called the NH-D15s.
But, I really do not think that is necessary for you.
There are three options.
  1. You could replace the fan over the ram with a smaller 120mm fan.
  2. Move the front fan to the rear to pull air through the cooler.
  3. Leave off the front fan. The cooler is quite efficient with just one fan.

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
You could swap the 140mm fan that doesn't fit with a Noctua NF-A12x25 (120mm fan) assuming you can mount it to the heatsink.

The Silencio S600 is very poor at GPU cooling.
https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews...cooker_-_cooler_master_silencio_s600_review/3

In your position, I'd probably switch out the case for the Fractal R6 or similar.

Thank you for your answer. I bought the case 4 weeks ago, so I forced to keep at least for a couple of months :)

Any way I got the 2nd fan to sit and was able to make the ram sit again in dual channel. But the 2nd fan is still so big that I will not be able to install more than two sticks of ram.

Does Cooler Master make a cooler as good as Noctuas for the i9 9900k?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
Why does it need to be a cooler master cooler?

Do you just think if it's cooler master it will somehow be more compatible, or..?

not necessarily how ever I just thought it would maybe fit better? But does exist a cooler that would make all 4 rams slot accessible ? And still cooler as good Noctuas?

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Coolers like these - dual tower air coolers - are going to be massive and you risk RAM clearance issues. Doesn't matter the brand. You either need a case with more clearance, or a different kind /class of cooler

A 240mm all-in-one liquid cooler would be the obvious choice if you want NH D15 level cooling, without a massive heatsink obstructing the RAM.

Are you actually going to need to add more RAM though? If it's for gaming, 16gb will have you covered for an extremely long time.

Noctua makes a high compatibility of the NH-D15 called the NH-D15s.
But, I really do not think that is necessary for you.
There are three options.
  1. You could replace the fan over the ram with a smaller 120mm fan.
  2. Move the front fan to the rear to pull air through the cooler.
  3. Leave off the front fan. The cooler is quite efficient with just one fan.

Reactions: Oussebon
Solution