[SOLVED] Silent Base 802 & Noctua NH-D15 & G.Skill Trident Z Neo Space Compatibility

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Hi I have a quick question. I am planning on ordering the products mentioned in the title. The Trident Z Neo memory modules are 44mm tall. The Silent Base 802 has 185mm of clearance for the CPU cooler. By default the NH-D15 can only accommodate 32mm memory modules; however you can reposition the front fan up to 20mm higher than default. If I move that front fan 16mm up then that gives me 4mm of clearance above the memory modules and 4mm of clearance between the top of the front fan and the side of the case. Is the 4mm of space in both of these sides of the front fan enough space to be comfortable with? It's not too cramped for comfort right? Thanks!

Solution
Does 4mm sound like plenty of space though? Like say the manufacturing tolerances have + or - 1mm then I have plenty of space about 3mm extra on both sides.
You only need to move the fan up about 13mm just from touching the memory so it should fit the case easy but I would question why buy that memory for that cooler.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
As long as you can get the side panel on without impacting the cooler, should be fine.

Windowed version of the case probably has a little more clearance, the solid panel may have dampening foam on the inside that might squish against the cooler.

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
@Zerk2012 Thanks Zerk. I'm looking for the best of the best for memory which is why I'd like to go with Trident Z Neo. Corsair's good memory doesn't fare any better other than the Vengeance LPX. Is there a better option out there? Sounds like I have plenty of space though just moving the front NH-D15 fan a tiny bit so why not stick with the current setup?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
@Zerk2012 Thanks Zerk. I'm looking for the best of the best for memory which is why I'd like to go with Trident Z Neo. Corsair's good memory doesn't fare any better other than the Vengeance LPX. Is there a better option out there? Sounds like I have plenty of space though just moving the front NH-D15 fan a tiny bit so why not stick with the current setup?
I figured it was just for looks and their nothing wrong with LPX.
Best of the best of memory not sure their any such thing since it all has a lifetime warranty.

If it was just for looks I was going to recommend a look at a different cooler that don't block memory slots.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/thermalright-le-grand-macho/6.html

EDIT and yes buy anything you wish it should fit with no problems.

I think you are ok with the nh-D15.
But, there is a high compatibility version of the NH-D15 named NH-D15s.
Performance and cost are similar.

On ram, it is worth spending extra for fast ram on a ryzen processor.
Check compatibility carefully.
Not so much on Intel.

In either case, first get the quantity of ram you need right, then look at performance.
Faster ram is accompanied by higher timings which negate or alter the performance.
Divide the speed by cas and you will get around 200 for most kits.