Silent & Future-Proof Gaming PC (Medium Budget)

ilBoris1992

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
Hey guys, good evening and compliments for the nice forum.
Here I come today with a question regarding a configuration for a gaming pc I'm going to buy in the next three months.
Let me say first that I'm used to consoles, and I'm a complete ignorant about computer stuff: however I spent the last days wondering around the web searching for infos and comparisons.

POWER: NOT A CLUE
COOLER: NOT A CLUE
VGA: MSI Gaming G1 GTX 970
MOTHER: MSI Gaming 5
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO (OR MX100, M550)
CPU: I5-4690K
CASE: STORM STRYKER

I already have RAM, MONITOR and HDD, so I don't need them now: my doubts are about the single components...
I would use this PC for hard gaming and normal use (navigation, download, film vision), nothing else, therefore I don't even need to overclock it.
Are the parts I choose compatible? Are they good enough, or not, or even too much for the build?
Can I save money somewhere, or do I need to spend more somewhere else?

Sorry for the huge admount of questions, but this is a once-in-5-years purchase, so I need to be sure before proceeding.

Almost forgot, my total budget, excluding as said afterword RAM MONITOR and HDD, is 800 euros (about 700£ i think?): if I can save something I'd be glad, but if it is adviced or necessary to spend, just tell me, I'll deal with it! XD
What I really want from this PC is SILENCEEEEE (the one I have right now looks like a plane turbine) and PERFORMANCE for ANY GAME!

I'm waiting for your suggestions, by!

P.S.
Sorry for possible grammar or type mistakes, but I'm italian, and I know for sure my english is far from perfection! =)

ilBoris1992

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015

Thanks for the answer, but many told me i5 is more than enough for gaming only, so I think I'll wait other advices.

Warhiker

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014
Right, the i5 is acceptable for games, even though there are some that it had a problem with. However, look at your title "Future Proof", the i5, as well as the motherboard associated with that socket is not future proof.

To assure you pathways to upgrade in the future, you should look at a society that will allow upgrades to cpu for years.

When asking people, don't just ask if i5 is good for gaming, all them if the i5 is future proof. They will say no, it is already out dated (by alot).

Seriously, for a "once in 5 years" purchase, don't limit yourself. The i7 architecture is not much more expensive.

Many people game with the i5, but they overclock it to perform closer to i7 stock performance. Just keep in mind that you need a good quality cpu cooler. I would focus on coming and fan upgrades, and upgrade to a good ssd later down the road.

Latest posts