silent majority please speak out against steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

silent majority please speak out against steam

this group has been oppressed and dominated by a very small minority
this very small minority has been supporting destructive monopolistic
valve plans for domination of us pc gamers and of the pc game market

i know for sure only a very small insignificant minority defends the
greedy arrogant monopolistic dictator called valve and his infecting
steam

the majority of pc gamers in this group are totally against steam and
know the only way to protect pc games is to fight it

i've been attacked by this minority since the beginning, since four
months ago when valve launched steam and i began fighting it in this
group

yesterday i had the support from Jim Vieira and i thank him very much
for doing so... today i'm only asking for 10 more others like him do
the same and show how much you are against steam and valve
i'm only asking for ten
i know there are at least a million more but i'm only asking as few as
ten to speak out

if i don't receive 10 follow-ups to this post with support for against
steam fight i'll go away for good from this group
so please don't let me go away cause i've been the best defender of pc
games in this group in the last 4 months!
it will be the usenet and pc games which will loose if i go away!
just look at the post i did today about costs in steam, no one does it
except me, if i go who will continue all the analyses i've been doing?

i'm not asking much!
i'm only asking for ten, let me repeat ten pc gamers from the silent
majority to speak out against steam and against valve
please join me and Jim Vieira!
please defend pc games!
fight against steam!
fight against valve!
show this group we are all together and united against steam!
only 10 replies with a "yes" i'm asking! 10!

i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies

--
to check this post authenticity please read the thread "check for post
authenticity" in this group and if you have any doubt please email me

this post is copyright of myself and cannot be used in any way without
my express permission with the only exception for being used to quote
part of my post in a direct follow-up, without any change in original
text

post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

what steam does to pc gamers in a million word worth picture:
http://www.nforce.nl/forum/images/avatars/1405845568421463c26ef44.gif

sayNO2steam [authentic] wrote:
> silent majority please speak out against steam
[SNIP]
> if i don't receive 10 follow-ups to this post with support for
against
> steam fight i'll go away for good from this group
> so please don't let me go away cause i've been the best defender of
pc
> games in this group in the last 4 months!
> it will be the usenet and pc games which will loose if i go away!
> just look at the post i did today about costs in steam, no one does
it
> except me, if i go who will continue all the analyses i've been
doing?

> i'm not asking much!
[SNIP]
> i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies

Can you feel the tension?

OK, I've responded to this thread, but I'll let you decide, SayNO. I'm
not the silent majority you wanted, but I have written about aspects of
Steam that I think are not good and should be changed. Some people
might even say I have criticised the way Steam works. But I have also
been branded "retarded consolist scum" and a "repulsive and disgusting
pro-Steamer".

So where do you place me now? Do you count this post as support?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> My ass it's a bug!
> It's a 'feature' included into steam by valve.

I have just set my HL2SP game to "Do not update..."
Let's see

> Slow updates thru steam is another problem.

Talk with your ISP
Updates working slick and pretty fast at this house

- Peter

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

sayNO2steam [authentic] wrote:

> silent majority please speak out against steam

If they are silent how do they speak?

"sayNO2steam [authentic]" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> silent majority please speak out against steam

You know... The "silent majority" as you call them probably doesn't give a
rat's ass one way or the other when it comes to Steam, and are happy to
simply play a good game because it's... well... good. So I seriously
doubt that you'll get your desired 10 responses supporting you. Too many
people on this group think you're a laughingstock. Others simply think
you're entertaining and good for a few laughs.

I roll my eyes whenever I read your posts.

Now... Having said that... If you're serious about your "fight against
Steam" then you need to take it to the next level. You're wasting your time
making your posts here. No-one's listening. Nobody cares. You need to get
your campaign off USENET and into the real world. Start writing one or two
letters a week to Valve. Real letters, not email since they're harder to
delete and ignore. Make the developers know how displeased you are. Stand
firm in your resolve. If they don't respond, if you don't get any letters
back, write more. Write a lot. You'll eventually get their attention.

Please. If you're serious about this, stop posting on newsgroups. You'll
never be heard this way.

shawk

Chadwick wrote:

> So where do you place me now? Do you count this post as support?

I hope not

--
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
'done it'...

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"sayNO2steam [authentic]" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in

> silent majority please speak out against steam
>
> this group has been oppressed and dominated by a very small minority
> this very small minority has been supporting destructive monopolistic
> valve plans for domination of us pc gamers and of the pc game market
>
> i know for sure only a very small insignificant minority defends the
> greedy arrogant monopolistic dictator called valve and his infecting
> steam
>
> the majority of pc gamers in this group are totally against steam and
> know the only way to protect pc games is to fight it
>
> i've been attacked by this minority since the beginning, since four
> months ago when valve launched steam and i began fighting it in this
> group
>
> yesterday i had the support from Jim Vieira and i thank him very much
> for doing so... today i'm only asking for 10 more others like him do
> the same and show how much you are against steam and valve
> i'm only asking for ten
> i know there are at least a million more but i'm only asking as few as
> ten to speak out
>
> if i don't receive 10 follow-ups to this post with support for against
> steam fight i'll go away for good from this group
> so please don't let me go away cause i've been the best defender of pc
> games in this group in the last 4 months!
> it will be the usenet and pc games which will loose if i go away!
> just look at the post i did today about costs in steam, no one does it
> except me, if i go who will continue all the analyses i've been doing?
>
> i'm not asking much!
> i'm only asking for ten, let me repeat ten pc gamers from the silent
> majority to speak out against steam and against valve
> please join me and Jim Vieira!
> please defend pc games!
> fight against steam!
> fight against valve!
> show this group we are all together and united against steam!
> only 10 replies with a "yes" i'm asking! 10!
>
> i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies

does it count if you change your name again and post under that alias?

THIS POST IS NOT IN SUPPORT OF YOU

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> this group has been oppressed and dominated by a very small minority
> this very small minority has been supporting destructive monopolistic
> valve plans for domination of us pc gamers and of the pc game market

Its very easy really...

If you dont like what they are doing, then dont be their customer.
Most games comes with an EULA, you need to click accept after reading it,
when you do click that accept. You agree on the terms. If you dont agree on
the terms, click no and put it in the trash.

Im no fan of Valve, or their games, but I know as much as you chose yourself
whether or not you become their customer.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:16:51 +0100, "sayNO2steam [authentic]"
<sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>silent majority please speak out against steam
>
>this group has been oppressed and dominated by a very small minority

I'd say a minority of one except the word dominated implies control.

>this very small minority has been supporting destructive monopolistic
>valve plans for domination of us pc gamers and of the pc game market

Those evil brains down at Valve, forcing sayNO to be a pirate. I
don't know how we can stand the inhumainity of it all.

>i know there are at least a million more but i'm only asking as few as
>ten to speak out

LOL. At least a million? Even with a thousand lurkers for every
poster there aren't a million people reading your nonsense.

>if i don't receive 10 follow-ups to this post with support for against
>steam fight i'll go away for good from this group

Which group, you're posting to half a dozen here. If you mean all
of them, I'm all for it.

>it will be the usenet and pc games which will loose if i go away!

Talk about delusions of grandeur.

>just look at the post i did today about costs in steam, no one does it
>except me, if i go who will continue all the analyses i've been doing?

It's the same one you did before, as I recall not one single person
asked you to post such an inaccurate analysis and no one thanked you
either.

>only 10 replies with a "yes" i'm asking! 10!
>
>i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies

And here it comes, if he doesn't get his 10 I'm willing to bet that
one of two different things will happen
a) He claims this post was someone pretending to be him
b) He just waits for it to expire and comes back anyway

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic sayNO2steam [authentic] <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> silent majority please speak out against steam

Really? I hadn't noticed. They were probably drowned out by the
excessively vocal minority unceasingly speaking out against steam.

mcv.

shawk

James Garvin wrote:
> sayNO2steam [authentic] wrote:
>
>> silent majority please speak out against steam
>

> If they are silent how do they speak?

"mmmmmmp mmmnph mmmmpnph"

--

Shawk wrote:

> James Garvin wrote:
>
>> sayNO2steam [authentic] wrote:
>>
>>> silent majority please speak out against steam
>> If they are silent how do they speak?
> "mmmmmmp mmmnph mmmmpnph"

ROTFLMAO

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:16:51 +0100, "sayNO2steam [authentic]"
<sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies

Then we expect your final message sometime on 1 April 2005 when you
annouce that you're leaving and not coming back.

Or you could just tell the truth now, that at midnight on 31 March
2005 your news provider will start charging you .84 Euro ($1.09 US)
per month and you can't afford it.

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

accessdenied

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

You can count me in.

I've been constantly bombarding alt.games.half-life on steam.

Recently, I found out that valve has been possibly intruding into our
privacy by forcing steam to send us updates.

It seems to me that this minority posters you are talking about are
either valve employees or die-hard valve cult worshipers.

It's too simply too disgusting to know that are people who actually
support steam! Almost unbelievable!

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:16:51 +0100, "sayNO2steam [authentic]"
<sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>silent majority please speak out against steam
>
>this group has been oppressed and dominated by a very small minority
>this very small minority has been supporting destructive monopolistic
>valve plans for domination of us pc gamers and of the pc game market
>
>i know for sure only a very small insignificant minority defends the
>greedy arrogant monopolistic dictator called valve and his infecting
>steam
>
>the majority of pc gamers in this group are totally against steam and
>know the only way to protect pc games is to fight it
>
>i've been attacked by this minority since the beginning, since four
>months ago when valve launched steam and i began fighting it in this
>group
>
>yesterday i had the support from Jim Vieira and i thank him very much
>for doing so... today i'm only asking for 10 more others like him do
>the same and show how much you are against steam and valve
>i'm only asking for ten
>i know there are at least a million more but i'm only asking as few as
>ten to speak out
>
>if i don't receive 10 follow-ups to this post with support for against
>steam fight i'll go away for good from this group
>so please don't let me go away cause i've been the best defender of pc
>games in this group in the last 4 months!
>it will be the usenet and pc games which will loose if i go away!
>just look at the post i did today about costs in steam, no one does it
>except me, if i go who will continue all the analyses i've been doing?
>
>i'm not asking much!
>i'm only asking for ten, let me repeat ten pc gamers from the silent
>majority to speak out against steam and against valve
>please join me and Jim Vieira!
>please defend pc games!
>fight against steam!
>fight against valve!
>show this group we are all together and united against steam!
>only 10 replies with a "yes" i'm asking! 10!
>
>i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies

To e-mail, remove the obvious

shawk

AcCeSsDeNiEd wrote:
> You can count me in.
>
> I've been constantly bombarding alt.games.half-life on steam.
>
> Recently, I found out that valve has been possibly intruding into our
> privacy by forcing steam to send us updates.
>
> It seems to me that this minority posters you are talking about are
> either valve employees or die-hard valve cult worshipers.
>
> It's too simply too disgusting to know that are people who actually
> support steam! Almost unbelievable!

....and what have you done about it? Have you tried the forums at
Steampowered.com or submitted a bug report? Have you blocked it in your
firewall?

--

Johnny Bravo <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote in

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:16:51 +0100, "sayNO2steam [authentic]"
> <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies
>
> Then we expect your final message sometime on 1 April 2005 when you
> annouce that you're leaving and not coming back.
>
> Or you could just tell the truth now, that at midnight on 31 March
> 2005 your news provider will start charging you .84 Euro ($1.09 US)
> per month and you can't afford it.

you noticed too then I posted above about that, unintentionally though i
pressed cancel.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On 29 Mar 2005 20:13:35 GMT, Stoned Monkey
<tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>Johnny Bravo <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:16:51 +0100, "sayNO2steam [authentic]"
>> <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies
>>
>> Then we expect your final message sometime on 1 April 2005 when you
>> annouce that you're leaving and not coming back.
>>
>> Or you could just tell the truth now, that at midnight on 31 March
>> 2005 your news provider will start charging you .84 Euro ($1.09 US)
>> per month and you can't afford it.
>>

>you noticed too then I posted above about that, unintentionally though i
>pressed cancel.

It's pretty bad that he claims to support pc gaming but can't affort
10 Euro a year for a news provider.

Not that he needs one, plenty of people manage to post through
Google. But he's mentioned before that free things are too expensive
for him. :)

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

And, what if the "Silent Majority" happens to be *FOR* Steam?

"AcCeSsDeNiEd" <dillon@SpamMinuSaccessdenied.darktech.org> wrote in
message news:ejfi41pcb554p0mqsa9mf7uo0q6igmc963@4ax.com
> You can count me in.
>
> I've been constantly bombarding alt.games.half-life on steam.
>
> Recently, I found out that valve has been possibly intruding into our
> privacy by forcing steam to send us updates.
>
> It seems to me that this minority posters you are talking about are
> either valve employees or die-hard valve cult worshipers.
>
> It's too simply too disgusting to know that are people who actually
> support steam! Almost unbelievable!
>

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:16:51 +0100, "sayNO2steam [authentic]"
> <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> silent majority please speak out against steam
>>
>> this group has been oppressed and dominated by a very small minority
>> this very small minority has been supporting destructive monopolistic
>> valve plans for domination of us pc gamers and of the pc game market
>>
>> i know for sure only a very small insignificant minority defends the
>> greedy arrogant monopolistic dictator called valve and his infecting
>> steam
>>
>> the majority of pc gamers in this group are totally against steam and
>> know the only way to protect pc games is to fight it
>>
>> i've been attacked by this minority since the beginning, since four
>> months ago when valve launched steam and i began fighting it in this
>> group
>>
>> yesterday i had the support from Jim Vieira and i thank him very much
>> for doing so... today i'm only asking for 10 more others like him do
>> the same and show how much you are against steam and valve
>> i'm only asking for ten
>> i know there are at least a million more but i'm only asking as few
>> as ten to speak out
>>
>> if i don't receive 10 follow-ups to this post with support for
>> against steam fight i'll go away for good from this group
>> so please don't let me go away cause i've been the best defender of
>> pc games in this group in the last 4 months!
>> it will be the usenet and pc games which will loose if i go away!
>> just look at the post i did today about costs in steam, no one does
>> it except me, if i go who will continue all the analyses i've been
>> doing?
>>
>> i'm not asking much!
>> i'm only asking for ten, let me repeat ten pc gamers from the silent
>> majority to speak out against steam and against valve
>> please join me and Jim Vieira!
>> please defend pc games!
>> fight against steam!
>> fight against valve!
>> show this group we are all together and united against steam!
>> only 10 replies with a "yes" i'm asking! 10!
>>
>> i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies
>

> To e-mail, remove the obvious

accessdenied

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2004

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:20:18 +0100, Shawk <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>
wrote:

>AcCeSsDeNiEd wrote:
>> You can count me in.
>>
>> I've been constantly bombarding alt.games.half-life on steam.
>>
>> Recently, I found out that valve has been possibly intruding into our
>> privacy by forcing steam to send us updates.
>>
>> It seems to me that this minority posters you are talking about are
>> either valve employees or die-hard valve cult worshipers.
>>
>> It's too simply too disgusting to know that are people who actually
>> support steam! Almost unbelievable!
>>

>...and what have you done about it? Have you tried the forums at
>Steampowered.com or submitted a bug report? Have you blocked it in your
>firewall?

Blocking with your firewall is not a final or ultimate solution. Plus
the man on the street does not have or know anything about fwalls.
It's not their fault.

My ass it's a bug!
It's a 'feature' included into steam by valve.

Privacy is not the only issue.
We cannot play our games when we want to!
Slow updates thru steam is another problem.
As I'm typing this post, my CS:source is stuck @ 99%.
Been stuck there for the last 4 hrs!
I can see that there is network activity.
It's just taking a god damn long time to update.

My posts on steam powered will probably end up being deleted.
I'm more comfortable posting on usenet which is not 'steam' or valve
controlled.

To e-mail, remove the obvious

shawk

AcCeSsDeNiEd wrote:

> Blocking with your firewall is not a final or ultimate solution. Plus
> the man on the street does not have or know anything about fwalls.
> It's not their fault.

No - it's just a workaround - just trying to help you. Do you have a
firewall? Which one? Do you know how to block applications? If not
post here and someone will help.

> My ass it's a bug!
> It's a 'feature' included into steam by valve.

You may be right - may be wrong - I've no idea

> Privacy is not the only issue.
> We cannot play our games when we want to!

When updated block it with your firewall.

> Slow updates thru steam is another problem.
> As I'm typing this post, my CS:source is stuck @ 99%.
> Been stuck there for the last 4 hrs!

Delete the clientregistry.blob - this sounds like a corrupted d-load -
it happens. You'll find it works pretty quick after that - the latest
patches were quite small

> I can see that there is network activity.
> It's just taking a god damn long time to update.

Delete the above file from your game folder.

> My posts on steam powered will probably end up being deleted.
> I'm more comfortable posting on usenet which is not 'steam' or valve
> controlled.

OK but understand that you'll only get 'users' trying to help you - not
Valve.

--

Johnny Bravo wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:16:51 +0100, "sayNO2steam [authentic]"
> <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies
>
> Then we expect your final message sometime on 1 April 2005 when you
> annouce that you're leaving and not coming back.
>
> Or you could just tell the truth now, that at midnight on 31 March
> 2005 your news provider will start charging you .84 Euro ($1.09 US)
> per month and you can't afford it.

Ah... That explains it then. He did say something about having to
"invest" if he is to continue the Good Fight.

I say, save your cash, SayNO. Take your fight to the Steam forums or
even to Valve.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"sayNO2steam [authentic]" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> silent majority please speak out against steam
>
> this group has been oppressed and dominated by a very small minority
> this very small minority has been supporting destructive monopolistic
> valve plans for domination of us pc gamers and of the pc game market
>
> i know for sure only a very small insignificant minority defends the
> greedy arrogant monopolistic dictator called valve and his infecting
> steam
>
> the majority of pc gamers in this group are totally against steam and
> know the only way to protect pc games is to fight it
>
> i've been attacked by this minority since the beginning, since four
> months ago when valve launched steam and i began fighting it in this
> group
>
> yesterday i had the support from Jim Vieira and i thank him very much
> for doing so... today i'm only asking for 10 more others like him do
> the same and show how much you are against steam and valve
> i'm only asking for ten
> i know there are at least a million more but i'm only asking as few as
> ten to speak out
>
> if i don't receive 10 follow-ups to this post with support for against
> steam fight i'll go away for good from this group
> so please don't let me go away cause i've been the best defender of pc
> games in this group in the last 4 months!
> it will be the usenet and pc games which will loose if i go away!
> just look at the post i did today about costs in steam, no one does it
> except me, if i go who will continue all the analyses i've been doing?
>
> i'm not asking much!
> i'm only asking for ten, let me repeat ten pc gamers from the silent
> majority to speak out against steam and against valve
> please join me and Jim Vieira!
> please defend pc games!
> fight against steam!
> fight against valve!
> show this group we are all together and united against steam!
> only 10 replies with a "yes" i'm asking! 10!
>
> i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies

You want 10 "pc gamers" from the silent majority to speak out against
Steam. Are these suppose to be "true" pc gamers? You know, ones that
use WinXP, don't own a video game console, and buy every new title released
regardless of quality.

I wonder, how many folks visit the above listed newsgroup on a daily basis?
1, 10, 100, 1000, 100000, ...?

BTW I'd hate to see you go. I'm tempted to change my handle and post 10
anti-Steam messages. But I'm a console scum, which rhymes with Rebel scum,
and need to go play some Resident Evil!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Hello sayNO2steam,
just thought I'd help you a little with the vote-count. As of 15:08 on
the 30th of March, you have had 2 supporting posts*.

* I'm counting Pregnant Chad wicks "you decide if I support you" post
as being in support of you.

mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hello sayNO2steam,
> just thought I'd help you a little with the vote-count. As of 15:08
on
> the 30th of March, you have had 2 supporting posts*.
>
> * I'm counting Pregnant Chad wicks "you decide if I support you" post
> as being in support of you.

I'm curious to know whether I am considered an enemy because I
appreciate why some people like consoles, or whetehr I am an ally
because I think there are some aspects of Steam that I would change.

BTW, not sure where the "Pregant" bit came from, but Google picked up
on it and all the ads down the side are for maternity stuff. I'm sure
there must be many other words in this thread that would trigger
adverts, so why that one?