Silent PC for e-mail, youtube, etc.

MrSadman

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015
Hey guys, Haven't built anything in a while and my parents called me and asked for a new PC. Main requirements were for it to be quiet and boot fast(Current system is over 10 years old and has no SSD)

Approximate Purchase Date: Probably going to order the parts this week.

Budget Range: Would like to stay below 500 with OS

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Browsing internet, e-mail, nothing more really. Needs to be a windows system though.

Are you buying a monitor: No, If I can find a motherboard with DVI or DP

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, Win 10 OEM I guess is still fine for personal builds.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Location is in EU, so will be buying local.

Parts Preferences: No brand preference really

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Needs to be quiet, small. Full fanless idea is not possible because we do get a heatwave every year where things would start melting.

So, My first thought was an ITX build but I have since disregarded that idea because of the added cost.

I did have a look at going with an Intel G5400 but AMD seems to be a better value with Athlon 200 GE, so:

CPU: AMD Athlon 200GE - have no idea about AMD lineup and chipsets though.
MB: Gigabyte B450 S2H - Gigabyte because of the capability to switch all fans off, when system is below a set temperature. This helps with the quiet requirement. S2H seems to be a good budget option with a lot of features.
Storage: 860EVO 500GB, already grabbed one during Black Friday.
RAM: 1x8GB, from MB QVL. For example Corsair value select line.
Case: Fractal Define Mini C seems like a good option with good dust filtration and smaller size. Looks discrete, price is ok. Don't really need 2 fans but meh.
PSU: Seasonic Focus plus Gold 550, because of the fanless operating mode really. Would probably be fine with 300W for fanless operation and Bronze rating but I am looking to go silent unless it is summer and the temps get hot.
External DVD drive
Win 10 Home, OEM
A CPU cooler with heatpipes, whatever doesn't interfere with case or RAM. Is Coolermaster 212EVO still a thing?

Any feedback, thoughts and ideas is much appreciated.

coops1

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
A few comments on the parts - I'd be tempted to get the Ryzen 2200g (which comes with a pretty decent and quiet stock cooler), rather than a 200ge + 212 Evo - they should be about the same price give or take.

I'd also get 2x 4gb sticks of ram, dual channel helps a lot with Ryzen performance.

The other parts look okay to me, but someone else may be able to chime in!

logainofhades

Titan
You want ram to be in a 2x4gb config, and at ddr4 2666 speed. 2666 is the max mem speed the 200ge supports. Single channel kills performance, and with that little dual core, you don't want to hurt what little performance it has. I also would recommend a 2200g, with 3000 ram, over a 200ge, a 212 cooler, and 2666 ram.

MrSadman

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015
Thanks for the feedback,

I will review the memory to have higher speed and run in dual channel mode.

While the wraith cooler is a viable cooling solution I doubt it can be used for passive cooling with the 2200G. The 200GE has a low TDP rating and I am hoping a cooler with heatpipes and a bit more fin surface can cool it with no fan spin for most of the year. If I were to upgrade the CPU I would probably go for an i3-8100 because it costs about 15€ less then the 2200G, but I really don't see any reason why a couple of chrome tabs would need more power.

Going to have a look around for a more apropriate PSU that can run in fanless mode.

MrSadman

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015
So, I've got a price list here

AMD Athlon 200GE - 56€
Gigabyte B450M S2H - 60€
860EVO 500GB - 60€
Kingston HX426C15FBK2/8 - 68€
Fractal Define Mini C - 70€
Seasonic Focus Plus 80 - 80€
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - 35€

Accessories:
External DVD drive - 23€
Logitech M500 mouse - 30€
HP keyboard with smart card reader - 40€

SW:
Windows 10 Home OEM - 104€

The only place that I can see for saving money are the case and PSU but I guess there is a price premium on looks and silence.