[SOLVED] Silent, reliable and powefull PC for running simulations

Apr 20, 2021
Hi,

I'm looking for a powerful desktop computer - with many cores and adequate memory - that should also be quiet, since it will sit in my office. It also needs to be reliable since it is supposed to run simulations. That is, it has to run code that I write in C++ or Java, which employs the processors continuously (24/7) for several months. I can utilize multi-cores for some code, but I also have some single-threaded simulations.
There should also be an NVIDIA video card, since I want to use CUDA for training deep learning models from time to time.

As for the template:
Approximate Purchase Date: Within a month
Budget Range: Not really (my work will pay...)
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Executing my simulations code, training deep-learning models
Are you buying a monitor: No
Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.
Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
No preference, I am looking for a recommended configuration
Parts Preferences:
This is a suggested build that a local store provided me:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X AM4 Box No Fan
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Auros XTREME (16 phases)
CPU cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro CPU Cooler
GPU: RTX 3070 GIGABYTE Aorus Master 8GB GDDR6 Retail
Memory: 2 X 16GB XPG SPECTRIX D50 RGB 3200MHz DDR4 Grey
Disk: Samsung 1TB NVMe MZ-V8P1T0BW (980 Pro) M.2
PSU: 1000W Corsair HX1000i PS 80+ Platinum Modular
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Black

Overclocking: No
SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution: Not relevant
Additional Comments: A quiet and reliable PC. Easy maintenance will also be appreciated (that's why I didn't choose liquid cooling).
And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I am currently using a gaming laptop for running the simulations, which certainly isn't the appropriate device for my needs.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
They can be made silent with a few changes in the settings, or replacing the fans. Though I don't recall much noise from the late model Dell Precision workstations fully stock.

5950X is somewhat hard to come by at the moment, but is the fastest per core/core count CPU right this second. Next gen threadripper should be coming soon, that would be a better choice in terms of platform for a machine that spends all its time running calculations.

OEM systems come with warranty and support. A custom PC, kind of on your own if something goes wrong.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They can be made silent with a few changes in the settings, or replacing the fans. Though I don't recall much noise from the late model Dell Precision workstations fully stock.

5950X is somewhat hard to come by at the moment, but is the fastest per core/core count CPU right this second. Next gen threadripper should be coming soon, that would be a better choice in terms of platform for a machine that spends all its time running calculations.

OEM systems come with warranty and support. A custom PC, kind of on your own if something goes wrong.

Solution