Question Silicon grease on CPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dxvid0880

Prominent
Jun 25, 2019
Okay so, I've seen an old thread saying using silicon grease instead of thermal paste was possible if low tdp. The question is, do I apply as much silicon grease as I would apply thermal paste, or do I put more?

In a pinch, when I have run out of TIM, I have scraped the existing TIM from an old unused stock cooler, and it worked great.

In a pinch, yes, I'd agree, so long as it is still somewhat malleable. If it's hard or dry to the point it has "cracks" in it, no good. Unfortunately, most users don't have spare or junk systems sitting around like we do. LOL.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Toothpaste (the low-cost, pure white version) has been tested by others as good in a pinch for a limited time. Anything else that is water based or oil based should be avoided at all cost (water corrodes and evaporates, oil can attack some alloys and compounds). Or just be patient.
You could also see if there's a computer store near your place and get your fix right away.

Toothpaste (the low-cost, pure white version) has been tested by others as good in a pinch for a limited time. Anything else that is water based or oil based should be avoided at all cost (water corrodes and evaporates, oil can attack some alloys and compounds). Or just be patient.
You could also see if there's a computer store near your place and get your fix right away.
To say nothing about things like that cementing cooler to CPU. I have seen one use crazy glue as his cooler mount broke off.

You could probably just as well have run it with nothing between the heat spreader and heatsink for a year and had the same or similar temps anyhow. The heat still transfers without a medium AND if the heat spreader and heatsink base were COMPLETELY flat, and non-porous, there would be no need for thermal compound at all. It just doesn't transfer AS well because they are NOT totally flat (Even with non-machined lapping) and they are porous to some degree or other.

Reactions: CountMike
You could probably just as well have run it with nothing between the heat spreader and heatsink for a year and had the same or similar temps anyhow. The heat still transfers without a medium AND if the heat spreader and heatsink base were COMPLETELY flat, and non-porous, there would be no need for thermal compound at all. It just doesn't transfer AS well because they are NOT totally flat (Even with non-machined lapping) and they are porous to some degree or other.
On a 7w CPU, probably. The CPU had a thermal pad originally. It has the weakest 4 core i have ever seen.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
TIM is not only a silicone or other type of grease, it's just media to hold very. very fine metal, ceramic or other compound micro particles in suspension. Those are the ones that actually conduct heat, not "grease". That's similar to metallic particles in brake pads, same function, providing heat passage to cool better.
Pretty much. Silicone oil is a horrible thermal conductor (less than 0.2W/K), the silicone oil is there mainly to facilitate application, the fine filler particles (with thermal conductivity typically above 10W/K, 50X better than the oil) are what do the bulk of actual heat transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.