Question Silicon Lottery i7-8700K

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Helping a friend upgrade. He has a Hyper 212 Black Edition on his current set-up. That doesn't seem suitable for an i7-8700K, but with the lower voltage needed on a Silicon Lottery CPU, could it run at stock with Turbo Boost on with his current heatsink? Ambient temperature is rarely above 70F even during the summer.

And BTW, if some of you had to choose between a Silicon Lottery 8700K and a random luck if the draw 9700K, which would you choose to overclock and game with? Thanks

Last edited:

4745454b

Titan
What exactly do you mean by "Silicon Lottery 8700K"?

It's really easy to change the fans on the 212. I suspect if you change them to really good fans you wouldn't have to worry about which 8700K you have.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I figured you guys would know what the Silicon Lottery thing was about. 😀

"Silicon Lottery, they binned it as stable at 5.1Ghz at 1.412 vcore with -2avx offset. "

I'll treat it like any other used CPU I picked up, but it might be a very good overclockeding one. The guy had no reason to exaggerate, and he had help here overclocking it a few years ago.

Either the 8700K or the 9700K is going to my friend, and he doesn't play with OC settings. I'll get it set up, test it for a few days, then send it home with him a stable and with a simple overclock.

I bet the Peerless Assassin 120 SE would be fine here. I am expecting to be told the Hyper 212 Black Edition is not enough for an 8700K to Turbo Boost.

Which do I keep to play with, and which do I send home with him?

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
I figured you guys would know what the Silicon Lottery thing was about. 😀

"Silicon Lottery, they binned it as stable at 5.1Ghz at 1.412 vcore with -2avx offset. "

I'll treat it like any other used CPU I picked up, but it might be a very good overclockeding one. The guy had no reason to exaggerate, and he had help here overclocking it a few years ago.

Either the 8700K or the 9700K is going to my friend, and he doesn't play with OC settings. I'll get it set up, test it for a few days, then send it home with him a stable and with a simple overclock.

I bet the Peerless Assassin 120 SE would be fine here. I am expecting to be told the Hyper 212 Black Edition is not enough for an 8700K to Turbo Boost.

Which do I keep to play with, and which do I send home with him?

Thanks
Yes, we do know what the Silicone Lottery means.

But it is not a standard make/model.

All you're going by is what the seller is saying.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Yes, yes, and yes. You are right. But it is mine now, and I didn't intentionally treat the CPU any differently than a normal one when I negotiated for it. I feel fine about the motherboard, CPU, and ram I picked up. Regardless, at this point, what is, is. If it is an exceptionally good one, then that is a bonus.

It is the CPU that the thread below was asking about.

You do know that the best binned CPUs can use the most power, right? They draw more amps at a lower voltage, so you have more headroom to raise that voltage up to the never-exceed maximum. Therefore they can pull more watts without exceeding safe voltage limits, and clock higher. At stock, chips with a low VID get just as hot as chips with a high one, so they must use more amps as the wattage is the same.

Stock sounds doable on a Hyper 212 which is loads better than the stock cooler, but you'd want something better for overclocking.

For our moderator from the Chair Force: Silicon Lottery is a company that sells processors binned for overclocking ability.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
No, I didn't know that. I just figured it was a CPU that could do more with fewer volts.

What would you keep for a second computer in your garage or at a girlfriends house, etc., this "funky" 8700K or a "normal" 9700K?

If they are overclocked, is there really any difference between the two? I read there was not. And are you suggesting the 9700K will be the cooler of the two?

My friend can put up $50 for a Thurmalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE, or Phantom Spirit, but not $100 or more for better options. But if his Hyper 212 will work, ...

I have not yet decided how far I am willing to go up on terms of my cooling options yet. Just trying to decide which CPU to use for my friend.

I also picked up a 9900K that will be my main computer [see my ambiguouspost in Coolers section]. I'll be using an MSI Z390 for my friend, and an Aorus Pro for my 2nd and an Aorus Master for the 9900K.

Thanks all, as always.

I guess it would depend on whether you wanted more cores or more threads. Performance per core, and overclocking ability are about the same, but that 8700k was certified to overclock for sure, while the 9700k has two more real cores that clock higher @ stock so I'd guess would be hotter @ stock.

At stock speeds, low VID chips use the same wattage and thus generate the same heat as any other, only the voltage is lower. But even Intel knows you aren't going to run a -K processor at stock so they don't even supply the stock cooler with it.

Just try overclocking on the 212 first. You'll find out quickly whether it runs into thermal throttling or not, and testing that out won't damage anything. You may find it only needs a faster fan--I have a 212 on a 200w CPU and it's real hot, but doesn't thermal throttle.

A while back, you could actually get something for nothing by overclocking a cpu.
For most of us, how well you could do was determined by your luck in getting a good chip.
(today, overclocking is mostly irrelevant so SI abandoned the business)
Silicon lottery bought processors in bulk and subjected them to overclocking tests.
The better samples were sold at a price premium.
Because heat when overclocked was an issue, SI also offered a professional delidding service.
For the two 8700K and 9700K in question, I would consider them more alike than different.
Hyper212 would work, For economy sake, try it out first.
If one wants to overclock, I would suggest the aforementioned thermalright peerless asassin which is a very good cooler for the price.

I bought a I5-7600K @5.2 delidded early on because the i7-7700K was sold out and unobtainable.
It served me well. I don't think it is really worth it to push any chip to it's limit.
I never felt the need to go past 5.0.
If it has been delidded, then the hyper212 is likely fine. Delidding made a big difference in operating temperature at any oc level.

If I had to choose, I would flip a coin. They are that close.

Reactions: 4745454b

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
My ignorance is clearly apparent with this now older generation of CPUs. I thought the 9700K also had 6 cores, but the 9900K had 8. That makes sense that the 8700K will be cooler, and I guess it also increases the chances that the Peerless Assassin could cool an overclocked 8700K. I will do some testing. If 8 cores is harder to cool, I'll take that on. It's also dumb not to give my friend a nice overclock as well with at 8700k. Tom's Hardware has and remains my training ground. Thank. Please keep the advice coming.

I'm now more worried about cooling an overclocked 9900k presently. 😀

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Now I am reading old articles from 2018 trying to figure out why the 9700k doesn't have hyperthreading, why the 8700k does, and what that means from a practical standpoint today. 🙃 🤔

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Helping a friend upgrade. He has a Hyper 212 Black Edition on his current set-up. That doesn't seem suitable for an i7-8700K, but with the lower voltage needed on a Silicon Lottery CPU, could it run at stock with Turbo Boost on with his current heatsink? Ambient temperature is rarely above 70F even during the summer.

And BTW, if some of you had to choose between a Silicon Lottery 8700K and a random luck if the draw 9700K, which would you choose to overclock and game with? Thanks
Just so you know that chip is really nothing special since 58% of chips could do 5.1 with that setting.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Will both CPUs become irrelevant at about the same time in the future because they are so similar, or will the differences matter? 6 cores vs. 8, hyperthreading vs. no hyperthreading, etc.?

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
And I think he would be happy with 4.7 and as low a Vcore as possible. We are not playing the bragging game here with air cooling and buying 9th generation CPUs in 2023. 😀

And thanks for the 58% chart. Gives me a baseline.