News Silicon Lottery Overclocks Most AMD Ryzen 9 3950X Samples to 4.1 GHz

XavierXonora

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
So, in other words, overclocking is pointless on these chips.
No, you will get better all-core speeds, plus there's the option of per CCX overclocking. You won't get all cores to 4.7Ghz, that is true, but raising all core frequency from 3.95Ghz to 4.15Ghz is decent, and with per CCX overclocks you could potentially push some CCX's up to around 4.3Ghz. That's a really nice 5-10% overclock.

Just because overclocking is now different and has different requirements doesn't mean it's entirely useless. Fclk OC (Infinity fabric) Mem frequency and mem timing overclocks all provide significant gains.

There is plenty of tuning to be done on Ryzen 3000, but for most people the superior single threaded performance will be more desirable.

PBme

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
Not sure I trust what they report fully, especially as it isn't clear from their site exactly how they are testing.
I didn't really trust them before, and now that I just popped in the 3950x I was lucky enough to get from amazon, I really don't. I may have gotten lucky but I did their 3900x test where they claimed that only "6% can do 4.1 all core at 1.25v" and I have no problem doing 4.3 at all core in Ryzen master and ran CPU-Z "Stress CPU" (while validating speed in Task Manager) until I got tired of looking at it without problem.
They are claiming only 19% can even do 4.15 all-core at 1.325v?? Not buying it.
As all I did was drop the voltage to 1.25v max and put the cores at 4.1, 4.2 and then 4.3 to see if their claim seemed off. Will play more tomorrow but I would put more money on their claims being BS than my getting a unicorn CPU.

Jul 8, 2020
I managed to pull 4350 on CCX0 and CCX1 and 4250 on CCX2 and CCX3 with 1.230V VID. Idle Temp 45*C on the whole package using Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM