Silicon Power Adds New Addition to Slim SSD Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
"the company said the SSD enables stable IOPS performance under an extended period." "write speeds up to 200 MB/s"

Yawn. Either try to be an Enterprise SSD like the Intel S3700 with consistent I/O and mediocre performance, or aim for high performance workstation and decent I/O longevity/garbage collectioning, don't try to do both! That makes for a boring, pointless drive. If the use of the drive is constant writes then use an Enterprise drive. If the use of the drive is for a hardcore computer user then use a high end consumer drive which will garbage collect when you aren't thrashing it.
It's like making an expensive hybrid luxury car that goes 0-60 in 11 seconds (luxury hybrids are fast), or an expensive sport's car that has little HP but lots of torque.
But if this drive is cheaper than other consumer SSDs...

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]"the company said the SSD enables stable IOPS performance under an extended period." "write speeds up to 200 MB/s"

*snip*[/citation]
I've got to agree with you here. This seems like it's marketed a drive with enterprise-class consistency that is aimed at the consumer sector. It's an odd little niche that doesn't really exist. Very few consumers worry about consistent, sustained reads/writes, mainly because most people don't run their SSD's at full capacity and pure IOPS and good garbage collection deliver a superior experience for an end-user.

I'm not sure how they expect to handle consistent writes for extended periods without ANY over-provisioning on these drives. Enterprise-class SSD's deliver such consistent results by taking a large percentage (~28%) of their capacity and setting it aside as spare area for active garbage collection and wear leveling once the drive nears it's max capacity. That's why you'll see them sold as 100GB, 200GB, etc. They take that 128GB, 256GB, etc. and reserve 28% for the drive to use as spare area. This drive presents the whole 256GB to the user; nothing is set aside for over-provisioning. The controller likely does some tricky work to keep write speeds consistent without that spare area but in doing so it's probably the reason the write speeds are less than half of what you'll find on most SATA 6Gb/s SSD's.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
So how many IOPS does it have again? I don't care about read/write speed. All SSD's these days have fast read/write. I care about high IOPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.