Review Silicon Power P34A80 PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 NVMe SSD Review: TLC Performance at QLC Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaphod_

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
It seems Silicon Power is grossly conservative with the endurance rating. Similar drives have dramatically higher published endurance ratings. I would assume the same nand and same controller would have the same, or very similar, endurance. This is indeed the case with other E12/bics3 nand drives. The BPX Pro and MP510 are identical hardware with over-provisioning have ~1700TBW/960GB. Inland Premium (Microcenter house brand) is same hardware without any over-provisioning has a 1600TBW endurance for a 1TB drive.

Its hard to believe the Silicon Power P34A80 has less than a third of the endurance of other drives featuring the exact same hardware.

Where does the meager 125TBW/256GB endurance rating come from? It doesn't appear that Silicon Power published an endurance number on their website.

zaphod_

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
Sabrent Rocket is another budget E12/bics3 drive with a rating of 1665 TBW/1TB.
TEAM GROUP MP34 is also rated at 1665 TBW/1TB.

Five other drives with the E12/bics3 all have 1600+ TBW for a 1TB class drive.
Hard to believe that the Silicon Power only has 500TBW/1TB

Last edited:

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
It seems Silicon Power is grossly conservative with the endurance rating. Similar drives have dramatically higher published endurance ratings. I would assume the same nand and same controller would have the same, or very similar, endurance. This is indeed the case with other E12/bics3 nand drives. The BPX Pro and MP510 are identical hardware with over-provisioning have ~1700TBW/960GB. Inland Premium (Microcenter house brand) is same hardware without any over-provisioning has a 1600TBW endurance for a 1TB drive.

Its hard to believe the Silicon Power P34A80 has less than a third of the endurance of other drives featuring the exact same hardware.

Where does the meager 125TBW/256GB endurance rating come from? It doesn't appear that Silicon Power published an endurance number on their website.
I would guess that it has to do with limiting their liability. The endurance ratings come directly from the company after my inquiry.

zaphod_

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
It seems quite likely the Silicon Power endurance information is erroneous. How could one explain that of the six drives mentioned, all with Phison E12 controller and BICS3 NAND, five have 1600+TBW ratings and one has a 500TBW rating. Logic would suggest the 500TBW rating is simply wrong.

Sep 18, 2019
It seems quite likely the Silicon Power endurance information is erroneous. How could one explain that of the six drives mentioned, all with Phison E12 controller and BICS3 NAND, five have 1600+TBW ratings and one has a 500TBW rating. Logic would suggest the 500TBW rating is simply wrong.

I contacted their tech support, they said the 2TB model has an endurance of 3115TB.

Jan 14, 2020
According to the review, this disk should ensure AES encryption. How to start using it/set password? Is that executed through disk password in BIOS? Have anyone succeded in setting this? If yes in what laptop?

Jan 14, 2020
Ok, I've received the answer from Silicon Technology and... they are saying that this disk is NOT supporting any encryption. As I was furious and very confused I've asked them once again and they answered the same saying that they confirmed this twice with engineers. So forget about hardware encryption guys.....

Joshua_157

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
The Silicon Power P34A80 comes with all the performance you could ask for from a high-end TLC based SSD at a similar cost to those QLC based SSDs like the Intel SSD 660p and Crucial P1. What’s not to love?

Silicon Power P34A80 PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 NVMe SSD Review: TLC Performance at QLC Prices : Read more
I have this and I am returning it for incompatibility reasons.
it's like this , every ssd Nvme Pcie I have reports as 512 sector the brands are Crucial and Samsung yet this reports as 4096 regardless of the enclosure you put it in as I also found out that all enclosures use the same chipset .It means you can't clone to this drive because it does not use 512e it's 4kn and that is the way it stays .
I'm going back to Samsung at least I know I can clone to their drives because of the chipset they use which is different from the Silicon power chipset.
It's something you should be aware of as I have dragged the internet looking for some meaningful advice but in the end nobody knows , so just be aware you can't change the sector size and it will always report as 4096 because of the controller.

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
I have this and I am returning it for incompatibility reasons.
it's like this , every ssd Nvme Pcie I have reports as 512 sector the brands are Crucial and Samsung yet this reports as 4096 regardless of the enclosure you put it in as I also found out that all enclosures use the same chipset .It means you can't clone to this drive because it does not use 512e it's 4kn and that is the way it stays .
I'm going back to Samsung at least I know I can clone to their drives because of the chipset they use which is different from the Silicon power chipset.
It's something you should be aware of as I have dragged the internet looking for some meaningful advice but in the end nobody knows , so just be aware you can't change the sector size and it will always report as 4096 because of the controller.
Interestingly, there are tools out there to change that tho. Have you emailed them? I know Sabrent has one for their E12-based SSDs. You can also use your motherboard's built-in secure erase tool to switch between 512e and 4K sectors if it has one. What software are you using? Ideally, it should be able to clone over the data regardless of source and destination sector sizes, it seems tho that the software is lagging support for the hardware here.

Co BIY

Splendid
Amazon reviews on the Silicon Power P34A80 report that the Toshiba NAND has been replaced by a UNIC branded package and that the Hynix DDR4 DRAM has been replaced with Nanya DDR3.

I would think that the expected performance from DDR3 would be less.

- From Zaphod_"How could one explain that of the six drives mentioned, all with Phison E12 controller and BICS3 NAND, five have 1600+TBW ratings and one has a 500TBW rating. Logic would suggest the 500TBW rating is simply wrong."

Bait and Switch was probably planned and explains the extremely conservative endurance numbers put out.

My guess is that Silicon Power's P34A60 reviewed with Intel NAND will probably also be subbed for brand-Xi chips.

I have been shopping for a new boot/main drive and this is the second drive I have been very close to buying only to find that the drive for sale is not the same as the drive reviewed and compared to the competition. I was looking at buying the highly rated XPG SX8200 Pro recommended here at Tom's but found that recent purchaser's found that the expected Micron NAND had been replaced by UNIC branded chips and I saw that the production location listed had changed from "Made in Taiwan" to "Made in China".

I expect that businesses will switch suppliers and that they will cut corners to cut costs. I know a "Bait and Switch" is just a traditional, if dishonest and dirty, sales tactic.

Sometimes a dishonest business tactic is a small part of a larger aggressive totalitarian state run pattern of abuse that has real and serious consequences.

From Anandtech - Yangtze Memory Technologies Co. and UNIC Memory Technology belong to Tsinghua Unigroup, a government-controlled high-tech conglomerate from China.

Anyway now looking at the Crucial P5 or WD SN550. I feel like I'm more likely to be getting what i think I'm getting.

Both the XPG and this Silicon Power SSD are still on the Best SSDs of 2020 but are not the same product that was tested. I think they should be retested as currently sold.

Last edited:

redkachina

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
It's all bait and switch tactics now, sending the cream of the crop units to the reviewers and change the BOM right after.

Check your purchase unit, I've recently purchased one of these 256GB units and found that the controller has been changed to P5012-E12s version.
The DRAM has also been changed to Kingston 2GB DDR3 D1216ECMDXGJD. Unscrupulous practices by SP as my drive write speed went from 1,100MB/s to a mere 290MB/s in less than month usage, with only 25% filled !! Sneaky AF those SP fellas

Status
Not open for further replies.