Silicon Power Shows Off USB/eSATA USB Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Upendra09[/nom]Whatever, happened to USB 3.0?[/citation]
The spec. has just been finalized. I'd expect to see product this fall.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
wait wait wait... since when did eSATA supply power? how would this device even activate on eSATA without an external power supply? seems... like a good idea if they figured out someway to draw power from eSATA... but if it requires a breakout wire for power... it's useless.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
e-Sata probably can supply power , but more then likely only on newer MOBO's I've seen a few E-HDD's that worked without power in e_SATS though I've never bought one out of worry.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]e-Sata probably can supply power , but more then likely only on newer MOBO's I've seen a few E-HDD's that worked without power in e_SATS though I've never bought one out of worry.[/citation]

according to the spec, not even the latest SATA 3.0 (6Gbps) supports power over bus since it utilizes the same pin out (for backwards compatibility) as SATA 2.0 (3Gbps). so i ask the author, could you please give us details of how this device might work over eSATA as far as powering the device is concerned, if such information was given by the vendor?

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]I highly doubt that any USB flash drive has reached the top transfer speeds of USB2.0, this is pointless.[/citation]

And I'm pretty sure all of mine have.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]And I'm pretty sure all of mine have.[/citation]

I got cut off..... but anyways... the top speed is only around 200 Mb/ps

Chipi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Why do you make it sound like this is a first in flash storage? This is OLD news, lame as always.

Other manufactures have already launched such flash drives a couple of MONTHS ago, and yes, they were presented on other sites.

joex444

Distinguished
OCZ has made this already. They claim reads of 90MB/s, writes of 30MB/s. Clearly thats superior to USB2.0.

But for the OCZ, they have a mini-USB that is used to power in the case of non-powered eSATA. Apparently some motherboards have powered eSATA. My eSATA ports, on the other hand, are through an adapter and connect directly to an onboard SATA port through a PCI bracket -- this will necessarily be non-powered.

Now, since its eSATA should I assume its bootable?

Status
Not open for further replies.