Silicon Valley Fears AI Export Rules - Report

alan_rave

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
Restrictions will make US companies less competitive. After January 10, we will see how many people understand it)

William_X89

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017
The hypocrisy of Google not wanting to work with the US military for "ethical reasons" but wanting to work with PRC on AI projects and sanitized web browsers is astounding.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have mixed feelings about this, but it really comes down to the fact that the horse is already out of the barn. If we stopped exporting AI hardware to China, it would only be a minor speed bump for them, and would just give them more incentive to mature their own competitive solutions.

And any market to which we deny exports would just become a ripe target for Chinese and other competitors. So, ultimately, it would just hurt US-based companies more than foreign governments or competition.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Heh, it's not Google's management that wanted to terminate work on military projects - their employees basically demanded it.

I'm sure a fair number of Google employees are also upset about working with PRC.

Jay_29

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
China is quite advanced in AI, I'm not sure what the intent of this measure is when the U.S. cannot clearly call itself a leader in this field.

Furthermore, denying collaboration would prevent companies like google valuable access to partnership and data from 1.4 billion people. There aren't as much wait time and regulatory approval in China and tech companies can benefit immensely from a market friendly to experimentation.

Lastly, think history has proven such protectionist thinking doesn't quite work. Look at the space station situation for example. China was denied access to the ISS and they simply built their own. Soon China will be the only country with a space station in orbit.