Info SilverStone (Finally) Launches Lucid LD03 Mini-ITX Case

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
This is pretty cool, I look forward to hearing how it performs.

Silverstone has allot of previous experience with vertical mount/cooling case designs. I have used their excellent Fortress FT03 model for several years to good effect.

Personally though, I ultimately decided that I could afford the extra 10 inches or so of floor space that a full sized chassis takes up, and won't be exploring SFF again until I have a compelling need (smaller office or the need to occasionally transport it).

It's just easier to build a cooler and quieter, no-compromise machine inside a mid-to-full sized case (I know those are fighting words for SFF aficionados, but my decades building both footprints overwhelmingly lead me to such a conclusion).

Last edited:

g-unit1111

Titan
It's just easier to build a cooler and quieter, no-compromise machine inside a mid-to-full sized case (I know those are fighting words for SFF aficionados, but my decades building both footprints overwhelmingly lead me to such a conclusion).

I agree. I've built micro, mini, and full size systems. I always find mid towers the easiest to work in, especially if they have HD cages removed like my current cases. I think mini ITX are generally the biggest pains to work in especially when you're dealing with cable management due to the confined spaces.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
Yeah, I mean, if I had a use case where I really needed a small PC.....then I think it's simply great that they can be built.

But after having shuttle sized SFF PC's just sit next to my desk for years, and suffering all the compromises they entail (will the latest GPU fit? Will the SFF power supply be sufficient?) I finally asked myself "for what?". What practical difference does having a shoebox instead of a mid-sized tower serve me?

I agree. I've built micro, mini, and full size systems. I always find mid towers the easiest to work in, especially if they have HD cages removed like my current cases. I think mini ITX are generally the biggest pains to work in especially when you're dealing with cable management due to the confined spaces.

Reactions: g-unit1111

g-unit1111

Titan
Yeah, I mean, if I had a use case where I really needed a small PC.....then I think it's simply great that they can be built.

But after having shuttle sized SFF PC's just sit next to my desk for years, and suffering all the compromises they entail (will the latest GPU fit? Will the SFF power supply be sufficient?) I finally asked myself "for what?". What practical difference does having a shoebox instead of a mid-sized tower serve me?

Oh yeah for building I always prefer mid tower CPUs. I don't transport my PCs much so I generally tend to prefer larger tower cases that are easier to build in. But I do understand that not every size form factor works for every situation. I'll use my ATX cases until they're no longer viable, but my next build I definitely want to experiment with a smaller form factor.