News Silverstone GD11 ATX HTPC Case Hides in Plain Sight

May 18, 2022
I’ve had the GD10 for several years and have really liked it. Had some major compromises in the design, but it still works great as part of a htc system.

g-unit1111

Titan
Good to see this option exists and I hope they improve cooling options for HTPC builds. The only thing I don't like about building in mITX rigs is that they can overheat very easily especially if you use a full size GPU.

The only thing I don't like about building in mITX rigs is that they can overheat very easily especially if you use a full size GPU.
Not necessarily. All has to do with airflow. Both to the component(s) and through the enclosure.

I actually tested this by installing a [just] a GPU inside a small cardboard box. As long as you have requisite airflow to cycle the air volume out of the enclosure as fast or faster than the GPU fans blow air across the heatsink, you're fine. Hence why stuff like the Mac Pro and Xbox-X are viable designs. Beyond the simple math of CFM, design considerations like not orienting heatsinks to directly re-breathe waste heat from other heatsinks is obviously important the smaller you get.

I do like Silverstone HTPC cases, have 4 of them actually. I have to admit though, I'm a little surprised at how many HTPC cases are made without optical bays? In the living room DVD and BluRay are still very much a thing. I'd like to see something like the GD09 mixed with this one's mesh front.

bmtphoenix

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Other than appearance, I don't see how this is an "HTPC case." It's not small, looks heavy, and has no hotswap bays or optical drive support. So what makes it an "HTPC case," other than marketing?