SilverStone Introduces Raven RVZ02, The Successor To RVZ01 HTPC Chassis

Status
Not open for further replies.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Guys, you really can't say the following (especially after further explaining lower in the article):

The RVZ02 is a mini-ITX case with space for up to three storage drives, a slim optical drive and graphics cards as long as 13 inches.

This is very misleading. Silverstone, and a paragraph lower in the article, explain that you can either have 3 drives and a short video card or 2 drive and a long video card. You can't mention that you can have up to 3 drive and a 13" video card in the same line, there is a caveat to whether you can have 3 drives or not depending on the length of video card (or lack of video card).

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

You can have three drives, the caveat is which size drive.
a 3.5-inch drive will not fit with a full length card. None of Silverstone's documentation states that an SSD won't fit if a full length card is installed.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006

You can have three drives, the caveat is which size drive.
a 3.5-inch drive will not fit with a full length card. None of Silverstone's documentation states that an SSD won't fit if a full length card is installed.

Maybe you should have gone to Silverstone's site, like I did, and read the specifications before making the above statement you made.

From the Silverstone RVZ-02 site:

RVZ02 Specifications

Model No.

SST-RVZ02B (black)
SST-RVZ02B-W (black + window)

Material

Reinforced plastic outer shell, steel body

Color

black

Motherboard

Mini-ITX

Drive Bay

External
Slim optical 12.7mm or 9.5mm x 1
(9.5mm compatibility limited to tray type)

Internal
2.5” x 2
(one additional 3.5” or 2.5” space depending on expansion card installed)

Cooling System

Rear

Passive exhaust vents

Side

Oversized vents over CPU/motherboard and expansion area

Expansion Slot

Front I/O Port

USB 3.0 x 2
audio x 1
MIC x 1

Power Supply

SFX & SFX-L

Expansion Card

*Compatible with 13” long, width restriction – 4.78”

Limitation of CPU cooler

58mm

Net Weight

3.2kg~3.3kg

Dimension

380mm (W) x 87mm (H) x 370mm (D), 12 liters

Extra

Support two Kensington locks

*Expansion card holder needs to be removed when installing expansion/graphics card wider than 4.78 inches. When system is assembled without the holder, vertical orientation of the case is recommended and transporting/shipping should be avoided. For more details, please refer to manual.

See that it states that the addition of the third drive, be it 3.5" or 2.5" depends on the length of the graphics card installed which means that if you install a 13" video card, there is no room for using the third installation spot for a drive be it 3.5" or 2.5". That's pretty specific that you cannot have a 13" video card and also use the third mounting point. If you could mount a third 2.5" drive with a 13" video card, Silverstone would have been very specific about that.

g-unit1111

Titan

I have a Raven Z01, mainly because I was tired of waiting for the Z02 to be released. But the Z01 you can mount 2 x 2.5" drives (SSDs, laptop drives, etc) and still have enough room for a full 10" video card. I'm not entirely sure what the maximum length of a GPU you can install is, but my EVGA GTX 760 fit perfectly fine with two drives and a CD burner installed.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I cant wait until 1-2TB SSD is cheep enough to warrant getting these tiny cases without sacrificing space for drives.

My buddy will be home soon (Marines) and wants to build a desktop but he is always on the go. This is perfect as long as he can budget for an expensive big SSD. Fast, small, with big space.

McWhiskey

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
I'm really digging all of these small cases. I had my eye on the node 202. But a few reviews are saying there is a heat issue with the graphics cards. I wonder if this one suffers from the same issue.

Any word on the release of other revisions of this design?

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Guys, you really can't say the following (especially after further explaining lower in the article):

The RVZ02 is a mini-ITX case with space for up to three storage drives, a slim optical drive and graphics cards as long as 13 inches.

This is very misleading. Silverstone, and a paragraph lower in the article, explain that you can either have 3 drives and a short video card or 2 drive and a long video card. You can't mention that you can have up to 3 drive and a 13" video card in the same line, there is a caveat to whether you can have 3 drives or not depending on the length of video card (or lack of video card).

"Up to three" meaning it could be less. They didn't say you could have 3 drives and a 13" video card. They said up to 3. They were just listing off features.

Blood Angel

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015
2.5" bays x2
3.5"/2.5" bay x1 (if you're using a mini-ITX sized graphics card)
ODD/2.5" bay x1

So four drives total. Not that hard. Nothing misleading about it. Also, if you want to, you can have a 13" graphics card AND three 2.5" drives, either SSD or laptop hard drives.

Nicolas_1

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015
anybody know where this is available with free or reasonable shipping? The store that I found it at has $40 shipping.

I'm really digging all of these small cases. I had my eye on the node 202. But a few reviews are saying there is a heat issue with the graphics cards. I wonder if this one suffers from the same issue.

Any word on the release of other revisions of this design?

There are many nice, small mini-ITX cases. This one just seems to be of the longer, flatter case design than the rectangular cube-style. I have a SilverStone SUGO, and with their design experience, I would lean towards their cases being well-designed & NOT having heat issues rather than having them.

Audentia

Honorable
Oct 2, 2015

The only place i know of is http://aerocooler.com/silverstone-sst-rvz02b-black-mini-itx-slim-desktop-htpc-case/ and yeah shipping is a pain :/

But I decided at the end of the day it wasnt going to kill me, i got mine a few weeks ago.

McWhiskey

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015

Thanks for the vote of confidence but the node 202 is a fractal design case. They are also known for good case design. Also, the layout is near identical. Yes there are also subtle differences which may contribute to the heat. I am just curious if it is systemic to the layout or if there is something odd with the node 202.

Audentia

Honorable
Oct 2, 2015

So one curious but pretty big difference in the Node 202 is when the case is standing vertically the GPU is on the bottom and mobo / PSU on top, where as the silverstone its flipped. I'm not sure why Node built it that way, as all the weight in the PSU would be much better to have on the bottom, and perhaps this translates to heat issues as well. Also a horizontal orientation on either case would not be as ideal for heat. Finally depends what components are inside etc and OCing expectations, I run fairly basic and low power stuff in my RVZ02 (960 and i5 4460) so honestly most of the time the fans (that support 0rpm) don't even spin, its very quiet and very cool.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

I did read the website before writing this, and I did not come to the same conclusion as you.
It does not state that you can't have a drive at all with a full length card. It does imply that a full size drive won't work, but doesn't say you can't put an SSD there.

Status
Not open for further replies.