SilverStone Introduces Raven RVZ03 SFF Case, Now With RGB

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I had an RVZ-01. When it first came out, it was the closest thing to a console form factor that you could get without learning about someone with a Steam Machine and breaking into their house.

In three generations, the Raven lineup has gone from being innovative and decent looking (though still far too stylized for my tastes), to this... And it's gone backwards in terms of pushing SFF cases to the limit.

Now I look over at my Sentry, and the raven rvz-03 just looks like a toy to me.

Looks great and will fit right in with gaming consoles sitting in an entertainment center shelf. However, the size of a SFF HTPC case is too small to cover a large GPU required to game at 4K. The fastest SFF GPU you can get is a 1070 I believe, and that won't cut it for 4K. Otherwise for a 1080p HDTV gaming setup in the living room along with a PS4 and XBone, it's perfect.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Assuming you're building a living room gaming rig, do you really think you'll be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 4K from the couch on the other side of the living room? I sure can't.

It can take a GPU up to 13" long, aka normal sized GPUs. You are not restricted to SFF half size units.

bloodroses

Distinguished
I have the RVZ-01 and I see they still have the same flaw/complaint that I've had with mine; CPU and GPU fans blowing on the opposite sides of the case. A simple ribbon cable or a different riser would completely fix that issue. There would be no worry about poor ventilation on either the CPU or GPU when laying on it's wide side that way.

bloodroses

Distinguished

Big price difference as well. But yes, if I do replace my RVZ-01, the Sentry is one of the cases I was looking at.

gstauffer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2015

From the article: "The RVZ03 case has space for full-length graphics cards up to 13" long and up to 5.88" thick." Same with the RVZ01 and RVZ02. I actually have a Silverstone ML08, which is effectively a RVZ02 with a more toned down front panel. It definitely fits full-length GPUs. Other SFF cases do have GPU limitations, but this one will fit almost any GPU on the market, including a 1080Ti if you wanted to go that powerful.

Well not everyone has a living room big enough to sit back 15' from the TV where the notice is little. My 4K HDTV setup, a 55", is about 9' from the sitting area. I can most certainly tell the difference between 4K and the 47" 1080p HDTV it replaced.

I stand corrected. Somehow I missed that. So it will fit a 1080Ti. Okay it's now on my short list.

hpram99

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
Why a full ATX PSU? You have lots of SFX PSU's at 450w, and a handful up to 600W, more if you go -Long edition. Not like I can run dual Titans in this thing.

Source: RVZ-02 with i7, 1080ti, HDD & SSD, measured 350W at the wall (or, 315W PSU draw)

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
@hpram99 There are SFX psu's all the way up to 800 watts now from this same company and platinum efficiency to boot.

@10tacle you can get a 1080ti founder edition in there and it will push its hot air out of the case to that's as beastly as you need to push 4k for current games but not future games unless they start bringing tons of vulkan games which I DOUBT Fing Microsh*t and monopoly on lots of stuff, best wait for volta, or navi if ryzen rizes them over their financial hurdle.

Silverstone used to be among my favorite & most respected case manufacturers. They created some of the most robust & original cases. No comment on case in article. Silverstone's timeline (no different than most other major brands) is somewhat typical. From unique, innovative, competitive, & a rep for quality. To most of their current customers not even knowing what those things truly mean anymore.

Thick, quality metal continually replaced with acrylic &/or tempered glass, which allows brands to charge more for less & makes for a less safe computing experience. A 5.25" bay is easily used for a readout device to monitor temps & stats, rather than look into your system all the time. RGB lighting? Game manufacturers, as i recall, were required in some areas to mention health risks associated with their games at one time. Not so much anymore. And never for the case/peripheral industry far as I know. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Bah. I don't know why I even bother to point this stuff out. Cases of today, save for a few exceptions & one custom brand in particular, have become tacky & unsafe. When cases were surrounded by thick metal (a basic fadaday enclosure), there was a reason for it; it wasn't just aesthetics. Just. Saying...

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015

Tempered glass costs more than metal, and quite a few of us don't want a case that weighs 230934ibs for no appreciable reason.
It's a small form factor PC case. Getting a 5.25" bay in there (And having it lay flat) would've added considerable bulk.
LEDs have this neat function where if you don't like them you can turn them off.
Wait, so now the sins of the gaming industry is somehow on SilverStone?
Tackiness is subjective, so I'll give you that. Literally cannot find a single example of "unsafe" cases.
Even plastic covers still have a metal skeleton underneath, and none of them have ever been grounded for as long as we've been using rubber feet. So yes, it was just for aesthetics (Or keeping costs as cheap as possible).

"Tackiness is subjective, so I'll give you that. Literally cannot find a single example of "unsafe" cases."

Have you done any research on the topic? I stated: Silverstone's timeline (no different than most other major brands)... From unique, innovative, competitive, & a rep for quality. To most of their current customers not even knowing what those things truly mean anymore. Nothing I said was meant as a dis toward Silverstone. I mentioned safety as it seems no one knows/cares about it anymore relative to computing. Be it consumer or industry. Heck, most ppl can't even be bothered to fully read an EULA before agreeing to something. Purple, just a couple weeks back, during a 2 week "prank", illustrated that point perfectly by getting over 22k people to sign its EULA despite it saying that users may have to commit to up to 1k hrs of (rather nasty) community service. Look it up. Purple said its just a prank, but it illustrates beyond a doubt the ignorance of some people is beyond astounding.

"Wait, so now the sins of the gaming industry is somehow on SilverStone?

The gaming industry in many areas still list the common health risks associated with their games for consoles & desktops in their manuals or websites even in 2017. Why should the component or case industry not be held to the same standard if their products potentially can add to said risk(s)?

Btw, I wasn't referring to "game addiction" (despite the sad reality of it) or other current computing safety concerns. I was thinking epilepsy & emf exposure. A mere decade or so ago, it was common knowledge to those in the industry. Today, having reached 5G wifi tech, arguing what was considered hazardous a decade or so ago in re to components is now moot may very well be correct. Though that doesn't mean we should ignore the existing hazards I mentioned, either.

Despite the price of tempered glass being moot here, just fyi, brushed, coated, or anodized aluminum are far sturdier, safer, lighter, & pricier. Going back to that decade or so ago, brand name quality system & case makers used metal cases for a reason other than looks or simple competition, which I tried to point out. Fwiw, before deciding to deconstruct points made in a post you can't identify with, at least take a cursory, (but honest & objective), look into whether there's any merit to what you're attempting to take to pieces.Just the same. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.