News SilverStone Launches 1650W PSU For The Big Ferocious GeForce RTX 3090 GPU

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
On a side note :
1650W is the power available to the components (DC side)

on the wall at full capacity the feed would be around 1800w

1800w at 120v = 15A
15A is the maximum amperage for regular power circuits (in North America at least).
ok some circuits have 20A but it's less common.

in other words, to use this PSU at full capacity, you need a dedicate circuit for only the computer, directly from the from the electric panel.
anything more would trip the circuit breaker

Also it's not recommended to use a circuit near full capacity for extended periods of time, so a 20A line is definitely more appropriate.

US code for wall outlets has to be on a 20 amp circuit 12awg with 15 amp receptacles.
Unless it is a dedicated circuit then you would use a 20 amp receptacle.
It has been this way since the mid 80s when I first started wiring houses. How far it goes back I do not know.
Most 15 amp circuits are lighting circuits. with 14awg wiring.
Not sure what part of North America you are from but that is US code for wiring.
Some much older homes can have sub standard wiring but anything 50 years or less should have proper wiring.
Unless someone cut corners and did a ------ job.

US code for wall outlets has to be on a 20 amp circuit 12awg with 15 amp receptacles.
Unless it is a dedicated circuit then you would use a 20 amp receptacle.
It has been this way since the mid 80s when I first started wiring houses. How far it goes back I do not know.
Most 15 amp circuits are lighting circuits. with 14awg wiring.
Not sure what part of North America you are from but that is US code for wiring.
Some much older homes can have sub standard wiring but anything 50 years or less should have proper wiring.
Unless someone cut corners and did a ------ job.
That code is definitely not national. Please show or link where this is stated. A bedroom or living room will typically have a 15amp circuit. A kitchen, bathroom or appliance will have a 20amp circuit.

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
in other words, to use this PSU at full capacity, you need a dedicate circuit for only the computer, directly from the from the electric panel.
So what? Who expects to draw maximum power from their power supply at any point ever?

In any practical implementation this PSU is safe and fine to use on any conventional domestic outlet.

OriginFree

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
On a side note :
1650W is the power available to the components (DC side)

on the wall at full capacity the feed would be around 1800w

1800w at 120v = 15A
15A is the maximum amperage for regular power circuits (in North America at least).
ok some circuits have 20A but it's less common.

Also it's not recommended to use a circuit near full capacity for extended periods of time, so a 20A line is definitely more appropriate.

Buddy of mine is a sparky (electrician). Rule of thumb is max 80% of the breaker rating. So a 20 amps line should not be pushed above 16 amps for an extended period of time.

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
So what? Who expects to draw maximum power from their power supply at any point ever?

In any practical implementation this PSU is safe and fine to use on any conventional domestic outlet.

Just pointing out that if someone wants to bring together a very high powered PC, the PSU may not be the weaker part of the chain. You basically need a dedicated circuit to use all of the available power.
Knowing this, a savvy shopper may prefer to buy a less powerfull PSU.

Also explaining why we will never see 2000w PSUs (unless they run on 240v 30A like a baseboard heater or an EVSE lol )

I know nowadays electricians tend to install a lot more circuits, but it was not the case like 30 years ago.

for exemple, all my regular power plugs at home are on 15A circuits, several shared with lights etc. I think I have about 4x or 5x 15A circuits shared for the 2-stories appartment, with 2x 20A for the kitchen. all the other slots are used for 240v.
been the case in all of my former appartments.

Last edited:

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
Just pointing out that if someone wants to bring together a very high powered PC, the PSU may not be the weaker part of the chain. You basically need a dedicated circuit to use all of the available power.
Knowing this, a savvy shopper may prefer to buy a less powerfull PSU.
Yeah, seems to be more of an issue for North Americans. I come from 230V land, so there is a lot more leeway when all outlets are rated for 2300W, and it is standard practise for outlet circuits to be wired for 20A. Actually, sparkies seem to use the same cable for everything, so even a 7A lighting circuit will use 20A cable (their time costs more than the cable I guess).

Still possible to blow a fuse, but takes more effort!