Silverstone Releases CS280 DIY NAS SFF Chassis

Status
Not open for further replies.

owens

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
This would have been the answer to my DIY NAS problems and filled the gap between custom builds and pre-made from the likes of Synology (Often expensive here in Australia). It's just a pitty about the 2.5" form factor. Maybe in a couple years when SSD's start playing catchup on traditional HDD capacity.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

True but its not trayless :(

Its not trayless :(

Dreamslacker

Honorable
Oct 23, 2014
Thundervore: Most of these class of cases aren't going to be trayless. The tray allows for flexibility between choosing a 3.5" drive and a 2.5" SSD.
The latter is especially pertinent considering that many of the software RAID options will allow SSD caching of the array (ZFS and even Windows Storage Spaces).

FPrenholato

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
Well, could be an awesome case but, given the 2.5" bays, I keep with Fractal Node 304 (isn't that hard to switch a disk) with 6 3.5"/2.5" bays plus space for a SSD at front of the case and the two 92mm fans cool HDs directly. I used two Noctua and my HDDs don't go over 30C (I'm in Brazil).

ron baker

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
2.5 HDD CAN go up to 4tb at presnt and probably even more in future. 2.5 drives mean the whole enclosure can be significantly smaller + sff psu easy cabling with backplane BUT should be alu all over

Anathemata

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Unless it is incredibly inexpensive, I don't see how this is any better than the Node 304 (already mentioned above). Yes, swapping out drives is a minor annoyance, but I don't know many DIY NAS builders who have enough read/write requirements to require drive swaps often enough to warrant the factor, and those would likely be willing and able to support a larger form factor.

What was the demand signal for this?

FPrenholato

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015

Yeah, but still good as WD RED that we usually buy for NAS/BACKUP machines?

Status
Not open for further replies.