Question sim card reader not picking on sim card [pc]

Aug 3, 2019
i want to use my sim card on my laptop so i can use its internet but whenever i plug the card nothing happens.i went to the manufacturers site to check for drivers because it looked like the laptop didnt have the drivers and i come across the so called "drivers" i downloaded them and it turns out that the system is somehow not compatible.my laptop is "hp elitebook 8530p" i also double checked to make sure the card is properly seated still nothing.
checked my device manager and i got this :
http://prntscr.com/oo0o6j
under network adapters i only have my wifi, bluetooth and ethernet listed it looks like i dont have anything else, it also appears i have some bluetooth peripherals connected?(i dont really, no idea what they actually are) and an unkown device which im assuming are the lit keys above my keyboard(they dont have their drivers installed because they slow down the laptop too much).i also went to my cards manufacturers for some help they didnt help out neither they said the card is fine and that they cant help beyond that.if any of you got any idea of how to actually use the card on my laptop id be thankful as this is driving me crazy, thanks in advance.

Aug 3, 2019
and how exactly do i check if it actually has one?i dont think the slot would be there without any purpose to serve

also i forgot to mention that the driver installer didnt actually tell me the installation failed or anything related it was just the cmd showing up for 2 minutes doing nothing, after that period i got prompted that "this app might not have been properly installed, would you like to reinstall with the recommended settings?" i tried it and it came up with the same result

Last edited:
You should see WWAN (wireless wide area network) device listed in your Device Manager. Is there a “System Info” page in your laptops BIOS? If there is a WWAN module, you will see an item ID: numbers and letters, if you see “N/A” then you don’t have a WWAN card installed.

Aug 3, 2019
You should see WWAN (wireless wide area network) device listed in your Device Manager. Is there a “System Info” page in your laptops BIOS? If there is a WWAN module, you will see an item ID: numbers and letters, if you see “N/A” then you don’t have a WWAN card installed.
it doesnt show up in device manager ill try looking in bios and ill get back to you
I strongly suspect that what you believe to be a SIM card slot is, in actuality, a microSD (AKA TIF) card slot.
im not that dumb it clearly says sim and it also has a small card to illustrate the position it should be facing

Last edited:

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
im not that dumb it clearly says sim and it also has a small card to illustrate the position it should be facing

It wasn't meant as an insult or as questioning your intelligence. This is an easy mistake to make, and I've seen way more than one person who's confused, frustrated, panicked, or a combination of the those make this kind of mistake.

On more than one occasion the response has been, "Ooops!," after checking. In your case it isn't, and I wish you luck in getting resolution to your issue.

TRENDING THREADS