Question Sim racing?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2838871
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2838871

I used to race online 20 years ago with much worse computers and networks that are available now and am gonna get back into it I think.

Anyone here ever got into sim racing?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I sim race 3-4 times a week, Assetto Corsa Competizione.

Your system looks like it will eat up ANY current racing game. I prefer ACC as it is the most realistic, and competition is intense. What did you play? Do you own a wheel etc?

I just replaced my Thrustmaster T300RS with a T818 Direct drive. Worth it.

May 18, 2023
I used to race online 20 years ago with much worse computers and networks that are available now and am gonna get back into it I think.

got addicted to it lol. to the point where made my own handbrake. rumble pedals.. wind simulator. and working on learning how to weld so i can build my own motion simulator.. i have bass shakers and other rumble motors on the handbrake as well as a small bass shaker inside my shifter to simulate the feeling u get when your pressing on the gas and feel it in the shifter lol. i love it . sim and just forza. basically got all the forza games.. all the WRC games. all the dirt games. and so on and so forth. even grabbed a used rift cv-1 off ebay for cheap to be able to try sim racing in vr. once i did that . now i am saving up for a better headset. or i may just go buy the cheapest headset i can find. and then take it apart and build my own .

D

Deleted member 2838871

Your system looks like it will eat up ANY current racing game. I prefer ACC as it is the most realistic, and competition is intense. What did you play? Do you own a wheel etc?

I just replaced my Thrustmaster T300RS with a T818 Direct drive. Worth it.

Awesome. Thanks for chiming in.

I just upgraded my VR to the Quest Pro and stumbled across someone talking about sim racing so I did a lot of research yesterday on it. As said I used to race online back in the day... NASCAR 4 I think was the name. I'm a big race fan... mostly NASCAR in-person events but have nothing against F1 and other types. My most recent race attended was the Daytona 500 in February.

I built this system recently to do anything and everything... up to and including MS Flight Simulator so glad to hear I'm good to go on racing as well. A lot of the YouTube videos I watched last night mentioned ACC.

I have not purchased any gaming software yet... but I do have ACC in my steam wishlist and that is going to be my first buy. I also was reading the iracing pages https://www.iracing.com/ and am interested in that so if you have any opinions please let me know.

I researched wheels and saw a bunch from Logitech (923, 920) in the $300 range and also saw that T300RS mentioned... but in the end I decided to go all in with the new Logitech Pro DD wheel and pedals seen here.
Logitech Pro Direct Drive

Expensive... but the reviews were positive and I just felt better about it pulling the trigger on that versus a different wheel that was 5+ years old and not DD. If I'm gonna do this I'm gonna dive in with quality equipment for the best experience... much like the PC hardware.

I'm not worried about not liking sim racing. I know I'm gonna like it having done it before.

So yeah... that's the plan. The wheel/pedals are hopefully shipping tomorrow and I should have early this coming week. The PS5/PC variant shows sold out but the XBox/PC variant shows in stock and that's what I ordered having an XSX as well. I contacted them today and they told me "pending shipment" so hopefully tomorrow.

Right now I plan on clamping the gear down to my desk much like I do with flight sim... I have a 48" OLED in addition to VR so either view works. I am considering a cockpit setup for both sim racing and flight sim like this OpenWheeler Gen 3 but will make that decision once I'm up and running. I already have an amazing gaming chair so am on the fence about the cockpit.

At any rate... those are my plans. I should be running in the next few days.

Edit:

Just got shipment notification!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Awesome. Thanks for chiming in.

I just upgraded my VR to the Quest Pro and stumbled across someone talking about sim racing so I did a lot of research yesterday on it. As said I used to race online back in the day... NASCAR 4 I think was the name. I'm a big race fan... mostly NASCAR in-person events but have nothing against F1 and other types. My most recent race attended was the Daytona 500 in February.

I built this system recently to do anything and everything... up to and including MS Flight Simulator so glad to hear I'm good to go on racing as well. A lot of the YouTube videos I watched last night mentioned ACC.

I have not purchased any gaming software yet... but I do have ACC in my steam wishlist and that is going to be my first buy. I also was reading the iracing pages https://www.iracing.com/ and am interested in that so if you have any opinions please let me know.

I like to refer to iRacing as a great tournament simulator. Its bar none the best setup for leagues, and organized racing and so forth. Multi driver endurance races, building your own league, etc its all excellent. And I will say they have put a LOT of effort into the vehicle modeling and such. But the issues with it is the actual platform is ancient (which in some cases is a good thing because for example you will get like 200fps on it), so the graphics are a bit lacking, but more importantly the cars just don't feel right. Theres a lot of like physics nuances that show the limitation of the engine. Some of the cars just don't feel right at all, and there are things you can make them do that wouldn't fly in real life. Still you will never run short of people to play with, its easy to make your own liveries, and the diversity can be fun.

I did a lot of iRacing during the pandemic, mostly due to a lack of much else to do. So i had a group of friends who organized races and such. That died out as real life came back and I didn't like the game engine enough to put effort into the official races. So my subscription has lapsed. That and in addition to the subscription they nickel and dime you for cars and tracks. I probably have $100 worth of extra tracks and cars sitting around that I can't use because I no longer subscribe.

I researched wheels and saw a bunch from Logitech (923, 920) in the $300 range and also saw that T300RS mentioned... but in the end I decided to go all in with the new Logitech Pro DD wheel and pedals seen here.
Logitech Pro Direct Drive

Expensive... but the reviews were positive and I just felt better about it pulling the trigger on that versus a different wheel that was 5+ years old and not DD. If I'm gonna do this I'm gonna dive in with quality equipment for the best experience... much like the PC hardware.

You made the best choice, especially for the price. the T300RS is good, as are the 923/920, but Direct drive is on another planet in comparison. Load cell pedals as well, no comparison to standard pedals. Both will give you the best possible experience.

I'm not worried about not liking sim racing. I know I'm gonna like it having done it before.

So yeah... that's the plan. The wheel/pedals are hopefully shipping tomorrow and I should have early this coming week. The PS5/PC variant shows sold out but the XBox/PC variant shows in stock and that's what I ordered having an XSX as well. I contacted them today and they told me "pending shipment" so hopefully tomorrow.

Right now I plan on clamping the gear down to my desk much like I do with flight sim... I have a 48" OLED in addition to VR so either view works. I am considering a cockpit setup for both sim racing and flight sim like this OpenWheeler Gen 3 but will make that decision once I'm up and running. I already have an amazing gaming chair so am on the fence about the cockpit.

I use triple curved 27" screens. It does pretty well, never tried VR. I will say a dedicated cockpit makes a world of difference. If that gaming chair can't lock in place you are going to have a hard time with it with a direct drive wheel and load cell pedals. I was never able to get truly comfortable and in the zone at my desk because of that (and niot even with Direct drive).

I don't think I would get that cockpit, it does not look nearly substantial enough for a direct drive wheel. TBH its a toy. I have the older version of this:

With their monitor mounts added to it. I wouldn't buy the one I have again, but this newer version and the others they sell are excellent. But you need the size and weight with a direct drive wheel.

At any rate... those are my plans. I should be running in the next few days.

Edit:

Just got shipment notification!

Nice

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I been iracing a few years.
Logitech G29 with pedals, shifter and a stand mount for them.
Single 27" 1440p monitor its mounted on a arm so I can pull it close to me.
I run it on my 4790K and 1070 rig with 0 problems.

Most races are a wreck feast especially the Nascar short tracks. Get your ratings up and join a league to get away from that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2838871

Thanks for all the info! I will most likely end up going with a cockpit but I'm gonna at least try out the desk setup first. Still leaning towards the cockpit because I also do flight simulator.

Gonna start with ACC. I plan on checking out the iracing at least and will see what happens.

The wheel and pedals I'm super excited about... reviews have been great and I've seen like 10 people say "this is the best wheel I've ever used" so that's reassuring.

Will follow up once I get set up and running! Thanks!!

I been iracing a few years.
Logitech G29 with pedals, shifter and a stand mount for them.
Single 27" 1440p monitor its mounted on a arm so I can pull it close to me.
I run it on my 4790K and 1070 rig with 0 problems.

Most races are a wreck feast especially the Nascar short tracks. Get your ratings up and join a league to get away from that.

Glad to hear that. I remember the wreck fests from back in the day... LOL... I think Daytona was my favorite track back in those days.

I'm gonna definitely give it a go in VR. Flight simulator is best in VR and I have a feeling the racing will be too.

Will follow up! Thanks for chiming in!

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for all the info! I will most likely end up going with a cockpit but I'm gonna at least try out the desk setup first. Still leaning towards the cockpit because I also do flight simulator.

Gonna start with ACC. I plan on checking out the iracing at least and will see what happens.

The wheel and pedals I'm super excited about... reviews have been great and I've seen like 10 people say "this is the best wheel I've ever used" so that's reassuring.

Glad to hear that. I remember the wreck fests from back in the day... LOL... I think Daytona was my favorite track back in those days.

I'm gonna definitely give it a go in VR. Flight simulator is best in VR and I have a feeling the racing will be too.

Will follow up! Thanks for chiming in!
I won 2 races at Talladega the week it was on the schedule this year.
Didn't qualify,(so started near the back) let them wreak 2 times then race to the front.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Cool, yeah I think your desk would be better and more stable than that cockpit you posted. Next Level has Flight sim attachments, at least for my old one, I'm sure they make for this one so you can adapt it between the 2 genres.

I look forward to your thoughts I think you will enjoy it.

D

Deleted member 2838871

I won 2 races at Talladega the week it was on the schedule this year.
Didn't qualify,(so started near the back) let them wreak 2 times then race to the front.

Haha.... that was the strategy back in the day too... glad to see it hasn't changed.

Cool, yeah I think your desk would be better and more stable than that cockpit you posted. Next Level has Flight sim attachments, at least for my old one, I'm sure they make for this one so you can adapt it between the 2 genres.

I look forward to your thoughts I think you will enjoy it.

Yeah I'm gonna check into that cockpit you linked... the wheel and pedals are to arrive Mon/Tues and will get started.

Will follow up next week!

D

Deleted member 2838871

More than nickle and dime I probably have at least 300 bucks in it.

Yeah I saw that on their website... they charge for all the tracks and cars. We'll see what happens... ACC first but will probably sub to iracing for a bit just to see how it is. Definitely interested in jumping back on the track at Daytona...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah I saw that on their website... they charge for all the tracks and cars. We'll see what happens... ACC first but will probably sub to iracing for a bit just to see how it is. Definitely interested in jumping back on the track at Daytona...
You can race for free a bit limited cars and tracks.
Then you will need to start buying tracks and cars. They offer discounts on buying several at one time.

D

Deleted member 2838871

I don't think I would get that cockpit, it does not look nearly substantial enough for a direct drive wheel. TBH its a toy. I have the older version of this:

I was just looking around and found this.

Trak Racer Stand

I can use the gaming chair I have... it's pretty much like the one pictured. I can then add the flight sim mounts...

Flight Sim Mounts

Price isn't really an issue but this looks like all I need for both racing and flying.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I was just looking around and found this.

Trak Racer Stand

I can use the gaming chair I have... it's pretty much like the one pictured. I can then add the flight sim mounts...

Flight Sim Mounts

Price isn't really an issue but this looks like all I need for both racing and flying.

Yeah that is a WAY better platform for a Direct Drive wheel. That will be more than stable.

My older Next Level Setup is similar. I started with a stand nearly identical to that one, and then they had a seat mount (with Buttkicker mount) add on, and monitor and keyboard tray add-ons. So I just built it out. They also sold it as a whole set.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Yeah that is a WAY better platform for a Direct Drive wheel. That will be more than stable.

My older Next Level Setup is similar. I started with a stand nearly identical to that one, and then they had a seat mount (with Buttkicker mount) add on, and monitor and keyboard tray add-ons. So I just built it out. They also sold it as a whole set.

Sounds good... gonna put the trigger on this. A sim racing and flight sim stand for $250... I'm all over it. Tracking shows the wheel and pedals on Monday... along with free gloves. :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 2838871

Your system looks like it will eat up ANY current racing game. I prefer ACC as it is the most realistic, and competition is intense.

... and you were right.

I just purchased ACC (it was actually free because MSI gave me 2x $20 in Steam credits for reviewing my motherboard and case) and set it up this morning... 4K... Vsync at 60... every setting at the maximum and ran some practice runs with my controller and was locked in at 60 fps.

Super pumped to get started when the wheel and pedals arrive. The sim looks and sounds absolutely amazing. I haven't loaded it up in VR yet but will soon.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
... and you were right.

I just purchased ACC (it was actually free because MSI gave me 2x $20 in Steam credits for reviewing my motherboard and case) and set it up this morning... 4K... Vsync at 60... every setting at the maximum and ran some practice runs with my controller and was locked in at 60 fps.

Super pumped to get started when the wheel and pedals arrive. The sim looks and sounds absolutely amazing. I haven't loaded it up in VR yet but will soon.

From what I heard the VR support on it is a little janky, but it does work. I think you will really enjoy it.

D

Deleted member 2838871

From what I heard the VR support on it is a little janky, but it does work. I think you will really enjoy it.
One thing at a time. Definitely starting out in the 2D mode... and even though it's only 1 display... it's 48" OLED.

Once comfortable with it I'm gonna check out the VR.

Hey here,

I love my sim racing, I like the GRID series - Yes it's a more arcade type, than a pure racing sim. But stunning and runs great on any recent PC with half decent GPU.

Really like F122 too.

Use a wheel for both.

F1 22 in VR, this is amazing.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Hey here,

I love my sim racing, I like the GRID series - Yes it's a more arcade type, than a pure racing sim. But stunning and runs great on any recent PC with half decent GPU.

Really like F122 too.

Use a wheel for both.

F1 22 in VR, this is amazing.

Hey thanks for the tip! Will check out F1 22 at some point... gonna start with ACC.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
D

Deleted member 2838871

All the hardware just arrived. This weekend I joined iracing (40% off a year) and purchased the Daytona track and just messed around a bit with a controller. Graphics were definitely a bit dated but doable. Also did the same with ACC and in both cases 60 fps wasn't a problem on max settings. ACC obviously looks a lot better.

Gonna start with ACC first with practice runs to get the feel of it... with iracing on the side. No real rush.

D

Deleted member 2838871

You made the best choice, especially for the price. the T300RS is good, as are the 923/920, but Direct drive is on another planet in comparison. Load cell pedals as well, no comparison to standard pedals. Both will give you the best possible experience.

... and you were right again.

WOW. This wheel and pedals are amazing. Setup was a breeze... USB from pedals to wheel then from wheel to PC. Wheel has its own power supply and Windows picked up the hardware instantly. I downloaded the Logitech app and it already has presets for ACC... and I went into iracing and setting the wheel up only took a minute.

I did like 10 laps at Daytona and it was really cool. I could feel every little bump from the track... the pit stops... the throttle response... all of it.

Same for ACC. I've pretty much only ever raced NASCAR ovals along with Watkins Glen road course so let me just say I need a lot of practice on those 13 turn ACC tracks. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Still... I'm VERY impressed even with the price being as high as it was. Clamping it to the desk was a solid setup and the pedals are big enough to hit the wall under the desk so they don't move. Once the stand shows up I'll be using that.

Anyway... I'm gonna be practicing for a while though before I get into any serious racing and I'm totally cool with it. Goals being to knock the NASCAR rust off... learn ACC... and not suck. (y)