Question Sim racing?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
... and you were right again.

WOW. This wheel and pedals are amazing. Setup was a breeze... USB from pedals to wheel then from wheel to PC. Wheel has its own power supply and Windows picked up the hardware instantly. I downloaded the Logitech app and it already has presets for ACC... and I went into iracing and setting the wheel up only took a minute.

I did like 10 laps at Daytona and it was really cool. I could feel every little bump from the track... the pit stops... the throttle response... all of it.

Same for ACC. I've pretty much only ever raced NASCAR ovals along with Watkins Glen road course so let me just say I need a lot of practice on those 13 turn ACC tracks. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Still... I'm VERY impressed even with the price being as high as it was. Clamping it to the desk was a solid setup and the pedals are big enough to hit the wall under the desk so they don't move. Once the stand shows up I'll be using that.

Anyway... I'm gonna be practicing for a while though before I get into any serious racing and I'm totally cool with it. Goals being to knock the NASCAR rust off... learn ACC... and not suck. (y)

I'm always right ask my wife :ROFLMAO:

Thats great glad to hear that. Logitech has a good ecosystem with their driving setups so I'm not surprised to hear it was easy to use. Anyway have fun.

D

Deleted member 2838871

I'm always right ask my wife :ROFLMAO:

Thats great glad to hear that. Logitech has a good ecosystem with their driving setups so I'm not surprised to hear it was easy to use. Anyway have fun.

Haha… as crazy as it sounds to pay $1300 for a wheel and pedal setup I’m gonna say it’s worth it for the realism.

Thanks again!

Reactions: Rogue Leader
D

Deleted member 2838871

Looks like fun, I haven't tried it yet. I'd probably turn down the force feedback for that one lol.

Hahah... yeah I ran it on the default wheel settings and you could definitely feel the feedback but it wasn't too bad.

You were spot on with the direct drive... it's just incredible. I don't have anything to compare it to because I didn't run any of the lower priced wheels previously but man... this thing and the pedals just rock.

Racing addict already!

Okay, that's nice.
@Metal Messiah. LOL @ the wingsuit flight to the finish line! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Hey, it's good to know you guys are enjoying racing/sim games. I have never played any sports game before though, so I have almost zero clue about the gameplay. Just liked FPS, TPP, and RPG genres on PC.

Is that a "Piñata pop" mission, where the Horizon Festival's cargo plane drops piñatas ? I mean why are you chasing that plane?

This might be the most dumbest question asked ever, but can we play these racing and other similar sports/sim games by only using MOUSE and the Keyboard ? I presume the answer would be "No", since we need to buy the racing accessories as well ??

:D

This might be the most dumbest question asked ever, but can we play these racing and other similar sports/sim games by only using MOUSE and the Keyboard ? I presume the answer would be "No", since we need to buy the racing accessories as well ??
If only! ;)

There are too many factors to be able to playwith any meaning. Yes, those games do have keyboards controls, but are mainly pointed at game controller/Wheel. I'd say min is a controller (I use Xbox One for Windows) or the wheel and peddle set up. Particularly the wheel, is much more of a true experience.

There are some more moderately priced wheels/pedals/controllers.

D

Deleted member 2838871

:D

There are some more moderately priced wheels/pedals/controllers.

Correct. I wouldn't want to try racing games with a keyboard/mouse or even an XBox controller. When I first set it up the other day I did play a bit with my controller just to test things out and it was doable... but definitely not long term.

The wheel setup is amazingly better... and you don't NEED the $1000 wheel I got... but it sure is nice. :ROFLMAO:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
MOUSE and the Keyboard
I just do iracing yes you can use mouse and keyboard but your going to mostly just cause wrecks as you would have no feel for the track and not very smooth control in the corners. A controller is not much better than mouse and keyboard you still have no feel or smooth control.

My setup listed below about 440 USD at current prices. Not as good as a 1300 setup but for the price it's not a bad setup either.

Correct. I wouldn't want to try racing games with a keyboard/mouse or even an XBox controller. When I first set it up the other day I did play a bit with my controller just to test things out and it was doable... but definitely not long term.

The wheel setup is amazingly better... and you don't NEED the $1000 wheel I got... but it sure is nice. :ROFLMAO:
;) Well, you've bought some decent hardware there. I'm drooling over it TBH :)

But, you can get a close experience too with lesser wheels. Sure, the quality of the wheel/pedals can give a more genuine feel, but at the same time, no-one needs to spend $1k plus for a peripheral.

I just do iracing yes you can use mouse and keyboard but your going to mostly just cause wrecks as you would have no feel for the track and not very smooth control in the corners. A controller is not much better than mouse and keyboard you still have no feel or smooth control.

My setup listed below about 440 USD at current prices. Not as good as a 1300 setup but for the price it's not a bad setup either.

Oh man, that is really nice. I would love to get those, but if I did, my wife would divorce me!! She's now on dispute about every little thing I buy for gaming rig. Boo-hoo :disrelieved:

D

Deleted member 2838871

;) Well, you've bought some decent hardware there. I'm drooling over it TBH :)

But, you can get a close experience too with lesser wheels. Sure, the quality of the wheel/pedals can give a more genuine feel, but at the same time, no-one needs to spend $1k plus for a peripheral.

You're not wrong. I only recommend it if you have the budget and nobody to hassle you about spending money. I'm 48"... single... and while I have my share of side girls I'm not married to any of them nor do any of them live with me. Done that once... never again. :ROFLMAO:

So... I get the toys I want.

At any rate... yes it's my dream build and I've set my self up nicely for the next few years. There's a YouTube video a few posts up I made the other night. Check it out if you haven't yet. (y)

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
D

Deleted member 2838871

Oh man, that is really nice. I would love to get those, but if I did, my wife would divorce me!! She's now on dispute about every little thing I buy for gaming rig. Boo-hoo :disrelieved:

It's funny you mention that... because that's what I had just said in my previous post. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

When I first set it up the other day I did play a bit with my controller just to test things out and it was doable... but definitely not long term.

Don't get me wrong, similarly I like to use the wheels/pedals or HOTAS for flying games. But, there are one or two exceptions to that. Grid series, being a little more arcade. These exceptions play better with a controller than wheel. They are much more forgiving. Getting a good controller is justified also.

You're not wrong. I only recommend it if you have the budget and nobody to hassle you about spending money. I'm 48"... single... and while I have my share of side girls I'm not married to any of them nor do any of them live with me. Done that once... never again. :ROFLMAO:

At any rate... yes it's my dream build and I've set my self up nicely for the next few years. There's a YouTube video a few posts up I made the other night. Check it out if you haven't yet. (y)
Absolutely. Solid rig! Top end :)

What's the YouTube link?

D

Deleted member 2838871

Loving and being able to afford it is key here :joycat: I can dream.

Soooo, tell us. how is your system running? It's pretty much maxed out. I'd say there isn't very much that's making they system sweat a little.

Yeah... it IS maxed out. As I said in the comments on my build page that is linked in my sig I've tweaked it a bit here and there over the last month with the last thing being getting rid of both HDDs I used for storage in favor of a pair of 8TB SATA SSDs to go with the 8 NVMe drives I have. No more hard disks. Yay.

I honestly can't think of anything else I need. I'm set up for gaming... I'm set up for video production of both my gaming footage and my 6K drone footage... I'm set up for streaming... maxed out.

Yes... there's been nothing that made this system sweat EXCEPT for:

1) CP2077 RT Overdrive
2) Unreal Engine 5 demos

That's it. All the current AAA games run smooth in 4K Ultra 60 fps with RT.

What's the YouTube link?

View: https://youtu.be/H_m8U27N-LI

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Great ! Thanks for the links. I gotta check these soon. Sounds within my budget , lol. But first I have to get myself a GPU if I want to play any of these on my PC.

1) CP2077 RT Overdrive

This overdrive mode is actually the MOST demanding when it comes to path tracing. It can bring high end rigs to their knees. Requires a very powerful PC.

NVIDIA actually claimed that the RT Overdrive Mode with Path Tracing will be around 30-40% more taxing on the GPU and with an RTX 4090 struggling to hit that 100 FPS+ mark even with DLSS 3 enabled, it is likely that native performance (DLSS Disabled) with the same settings will yield sub-20-30 FPS graphics performance.

They also revealed that path tracing is going to be hardware-agnostic, which means that it won't require a proprietary technology to run and we can enjoy it on any graphics card out there, given that it has the processing and compute prowess to run Path Tracing at a stable frame rate.

But that sounds like a pipe dream ! :rolleyes: It can't even run properly on the RTX 4090 let alone other vendor's GPUs.

D

Deleted member 2838871

This overdrive mode is actually the MOST demanding when it comes to path tracing. It can bring high end rigs to their knees. Requires a very powerful PC.
But that sounds like a pipe dream ! :rolleyes: It can't even run properly on the RTX 4090 let alone other vendor's GPUs.

Yes... it brought mine to its knees but nothing I care about because this RT Overdrive is just in a testing phase and I play CP 2077 just fine with max 4K settings and RT.

Do I care about the Overdrive mode. Not really. Just an early marketing gimmick IMO.

The Unreal Engine 5 demos did the same... my PC wasn't in slideshow mode or anything but they were definitely the most taxing thing I've seen so far. Again though... UE5 isn't even in use yet so I don't much care.

PS.

Bought my Metallica tix the other night... Aug 30th and Sept 1, 2024 in Seattle. Great seats... both shows. My 50th is a few days later so it will be a great way to celebrate.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
My wife and I got married a little later in life, she knows I spent nearly $6k building my sim system and shes very much like, ok whatever makes you happy.

I will say BTW arcade racing games like Forza Horizon, most Need for Speed games, etc are perfectly fine with a controller, heck maybe even easier to play with a controller due to the ability to fast twitch back and forth with the thumbstick.

D

Deleted member 2838871

My wife and I got married a little later in life, she knows I spent nearly $6k building my sim system and shes very much like, ok whatever makes you happy.

Like I said... if you have the budget and nobody to hassle you... which I do... and you do too apparently. :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 2838871

My guy you got a 4090 and Ryzen 9 💀, you'll dominate sim racing.

Hahah... yeah the performance is good. I was mainly asking about whether or not it was worth getting into because it's been 20 years.