Sim tower and xp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi
Is there a compatability issue between Sim Tower and Windows XP? I put
the CD in, click on setup.exe but nothing happens...

thommo

Gareeth wrote:
> Davybear wrote:
> > > You are kidding?
> > That game is OLD!
> > I do not think it will work with XP.
> > I did not know it even came out on CD.
> >
> I have it on CD and I have run it on XP. Use compatibly mode.
>
> Gareeth

I'm trying to install it...does the setup program work with xp?

<thommo_99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> Is there a compatability issue between Sim Tower and Windows XP? I put
> the CD in, click on setup.exe but nothing happens...
>
> thommo

You are kidding?
That game is OLD!
I do not think it will work with XP.
I did not know it even came out on CD.

My copy is on floppy disk.
It was for Windows 3.1

I believe it is available for free download on the net.
Maxis no longer supports it.

> Gareeth wrote:
>> > That game is OLD!
>> > I do not think it will work with XP.
>> > I did not know it even came out on CD.
>> >
>> I have it on CD and I have run it on XP. Use compatibly mode.
>>
>> Gareeth
>
> I'm trying to install it...does the setup program work with xp?

Try copying it to your Hard Drive and installing it from the copy.
Sometimes older type programs need to be in an environment were they can
expanded.
They need to unpack themselves.

> Davybear wrote:
>> > You are kidding?
>> That game is OLD!
>> I do not think it will work with XP.
>> I did not know it even came out on CD.
>>
> I have it on CD and I have run it on XP. Use compatibly mode.
>
> Gareeth

Well, I should not be surprised.
I just found a CD copy of Sim Earth that I had stashed under a pile of junk.
I think I got it back in 1999 in one of the Maxis classic game packs.
It has an ad on the inside cover for The Sims.

thommo_99@hotmail.com wrote:

> I'm trying to install it...does the setup program work with xp?

I actually don't recall. It could be that it was already on my machine when
I upgraded though but that was a few years back now and I have reformated
since so I don't have it now.

Gareeth

thommo_99@hotmail.com wrote, On 1-8-2005 8:39:
> Gareeth wrote:

>>>That game is OLD!
>>>I do not think it will work with XP.
>>>I did not know it even came out on CD.
>>>

>>I have it on CD and I have run it on XP. Use compatibly mode.
>>
>>Gareeth
>

> I'm trying to install it...does the setup program work with xp?

I bought it about a year ago and it installed fine, didn't even have to
use compatability mode.

Bianca

Betty

<thommo_99@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Gareeth wrote:
>> > That game is OLD!
>> > I do not think it will work with XP.
>> > I did not know it even came out on CD.
>> >
>> I have it on CD and I have run it on XP. Use compatibly mode.
>>
>> Gareeth
>
> I'm trying to install it...does the setup program work with xp?

I had a lot of old programs that wouldn't work with XP so I threw them
away. :(

Betty

Davybear wrote:
> <thommo_99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Gareeth wrote:
> >> >
> >> I have it on CD and I have run it on XP. Use compatibly mode.
> >>
> >> Gareeth
> >
> > I'm trying to install it...does the setup program work with xp?
> >

> Try copying it to your Hard Drive and installing it from the copy.
> Sometimes older type programs need to be in an environment were they can
> expanded.
> They need to unpack themselves.

I gave up on trying to install it from the CD and I tried copying the
CD contents onto my hard drive and installing it from there but it
still didnt work...I actually have it installed on another comp
(running windows 98) and tried moving the Sim tower folder in program
files on that one onto this comp (the other comp is a bit dodgy so im
trying to move simtower over to this comp)...it actually worked...but
because i didnt install it, every time i click on the sim tower icon it
comes up with this:

"This Application uses WavMix16.DLL which has not been installed
correctly. WavMix16.DLL must be in the windows system directory:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

and wavemix.ini must be in the windows directory:
C:\WINDOWS"

I have moved the required files to the folders mentioned above but it
still keeps coming up...

any ideas?

nah youre mistaken..i had no trouble copying the cd contents to my hard
drive but when i tried to install it from there, nothing
happened...sorry about the confusing msg b4...i actually did make a
copy of the Cd in case it was the CD that was the problem but it still
didnt work

as per my previous msg, i tried moving the folder already installed on
the other comp to this one and the error came up when i tried to open
it..it works but there isnt any sound...as per the error mesaage

"thommo" <thommo_99@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Davybear wrote:
>> <thommo_99@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> > I'm trying to install it...does the setup program work with xp?
>> >

>> Try copying it to your Hard Drive and installing it from the copy.
>> Sometimes older type programs need to be in an environment were they can
>> expanded.
>> They need to unpack themselves.
>
> I gave up on trying to install it from the CD and I tried copying the
> CD contents onto my hard drive and installing it from there but it
> still didnt work...I actually have it installed on another comp
> (running windows 98) and tried moving the Sim tower folder in program
> files on that one onto this comp (the other comp is a bit dodgy so im
> trying to move simtower over to this comp)...it actually worked...but
> because i didnt install it, every time i click on the sim tower icon it
> comes up with this:
>
> "This Application uses WavMix16.DLL which has not been installed
> correctly. WavMix16.DLL must be in the windows system directory:
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
>
> and wavemix.ini must be in the windows directory:
> C:\WINDOWS"
>
> I have moved the required files to the folders mentioned above but it
> still keeps coming up...
>
> any ideas?

It sounds like you cd may be scratched or something, since the computer is
having a hard time with you copying the contents to your hard drive. Maybe
try cleaning the cd or the cd-rom drive.
Unless the program is installed on the computer you are wanting to play it
on, it won't work. You need to figure out a way to install it.
How about copying the contents of the cd to your other computer then
transferring to the xp one and then installing it?

i have the files...it (the error message) told me to put them in
specific folders and i did...

if first tried it yesterday and the computer was turned off last night
and when i turned it back on this morning and tried it, the same error
kept coming up

> nah youre mistaken..i had no trouble copying the cd contents to my hard
> drive but when i tried to install it from there, nothing
> happened...sorry about the confusing msg b4...i actually did make a
> copy of the Cd in case it was the CD that was the problem but it still
> didnt work

If you make a copy of a bad cd, then the copy isn't going to work either.

> as per my previous msg, i tried moving the folder already installed on
> the other comp to this one and the error came up when i tried to open
> it..it works but there isnt any sound...as per the error mesaage

If you are only moving the folder from one pc to another, but are not
installing it on the newer machine, then that should not work.

The file it says was not installed.............have you looked for it on the
internet? Perhaps you can download it and install it somehow.

"thommo" <thommo_99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> nah youre mistaken..i had no trouble copying the cd contents to my hard
> drive but when i tried to install it from there, nothing
> happened...sorry about the confusing msg b4...i actually did make a
> copy of the Cd in case it was the CD that was the problem but it still
> didnt work
>
> as per my previous msg, i tried moving the folder already installed on
> the other comp to this one and the error came up when i tried to open
> it..it works but there isnt any sound...as per the error mesaage

Try cleaning out your temp files.
They may be interfering with the install.
Run Disk Cleanup and maybe do a Defrag.

>i have the files...it (the error message) told me to put them in
> specific folders and i did...

Try restarting (rebooting) your computer.
Windows need to reload where to look for the files.
Restarting the computer should do the trick.

This may help you with registering the dlls that you need.
http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108199

> if first tried it yesterday and the computer was turned off last night
> and when i turned it back on this morning and tried it, the same error
> kept coming up

CK

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

> I gave up on trying to install it from the CD and I tried copying the
> CD contents onto my hard drive and installing it from there but it
> still didnt work...I actually have it installed on another comp
> (running windows 98) and tried moving the Sim tower folder in program
> files on that one onto this comp (the other comp is a bit dodgy so im
> trying to move simtower over to this comp)...it actually worked...but
> because i didnt install it, every time i click on the sim tower icon it
> comes up with this:
>
> "This Application uses WavMix16.DLL which has not been installed
> correctly. WavMix16.DLL must be in the windows system directory:
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
>
> and wavemix.ini must be in the windows directory:
> C:\WINDOWS"
>
> I have moved the required files to the folders mentioned above but it
> still keeps coming up...
>
> any ideas?

DLL files need to be registered for them to work. The install process
would do this automatically, and I don't know how to do it manually.
Your best bet is to try to somehow get the install process to go through
successfully. One option is to set up a dual boot of XP and win98SE.
Another is to try to find a Windows emulator. A third is to see if
there's a patch available to install and run it under XP. A fourth is to
make a shortcut to the setup program, on the desktop, say, and to set
that shortcut to compatibility mode.

This last one is the one that you'll probably find easiest, and might
work. I have no idea how good XP's compatibility mode is. Then you
should have the install process complete successfully in a mode the game
should be happy with. You'll probably also have to change the shortcut
to the game after it's installed to run the game in compatibility mode, too.

HTH.

CK

ok...firstly it is now working without errors but there is no sound..it
might be becuse of the dll files mentioned by CK...the compatibility
mode didnt do anything though...i found this relevant site
http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread31793-1.html...the dll registering on
the site mentioned by bluegenie2 came up with this error for
wavmix16.dll

"C:\WINDOWS\system\WavMix16.DLL" is not an executable file and no
registration helper is registered for this file type.

any ideas?

by the way bluegenie, what is a dual boot? i also tried the shortcut on
the desktop but to no avail...im still looking for a patch and emulator

the above site doesnt work so search for SIM TOWER XP PATCH and its the
4th site down...then search for sim tower at the site and go to "sim
tower problem"

the above site doesnt work so search for SIM TOWER XP PATCH and its the
4th site down...then search for sim tower at the site and go to "sim
tower problem"

the above site doesnt work so search for SIM TOWER XP PATCH and its the
4th site down...then search for sim tower at the site and go to "sim
tower problem"

Okay, I read that thread there and it seems they were able to fix the
problem by creating a wavmix.ini. Did you try that?

> ok...firstly it is now working without errors but there is no sound..it
> might be becuse of the dll files mentioned by CK...the compatibility
> mode didnt do anything though...i found this relevant site
> http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread31793-1.html...the dll registering on
> the site mentioned by bluegenie2 came up with this error for
> wavmix16.dll
>
> "C:\WINDOWS\system\WavMix16.DLL" is not an executable file and no
> registration helper is registered for this file type.
>
> any ideas?
>
> by the way bluegenie, what is a dual boot? i also tried the shortcut on
> the desktop but to no avail...im still looking for a patch and emulator

CK

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

> ok...firstly it is now working without errors but there is no sound..it
> might be becuse of the dll files mentioned by CK...the compatibility
> mode didnt do anything though...i found this relevant site
> http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread31793-1.html...the dll registering on
> the site mentioned by bluegenie2 came up with this error for
> wavmix16.dll
>
> "C:\WINDOWS\system\WavMix16.DLL" is not an executable file and no
> registration helper is registered for this file type.
>
> any ideas?
>
> by the way bluegenie, what is a dual boot? i also tried the shortcut on
> the desktop but to no avail...im still looking for a patch and emulator

Actually, that was me. A dual boot would mean that you have separate
partitions on your hard drive - one for one Operating System: Windows
XP, say; and one for another OS: Windows 98SE, say. It's very much a
sledgehammer/nut solution to simply get the sound working in one very
old game. Can be useful if you have lots of things that don't like XP
though.

So did you try the *install* in compatibility mode, rather than just
*running* the game in compatibility mode? Sorry to keep mentioning it,
but it would be really neat if it worked.

If SimTower ran in DOS, then you could try VDMSound
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdmsound/). Otherwise, you might try
out VOGONS (Very Old Games On New Systems) here
(http://vogons.zetafleet.com). It's not a game I've ever played and I've
never had XP on my computer, so I have no idea if it's going to work.

HTH.

CK