SimCity Closed Beta EULA Sparks Controversy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Northwestern[/nom]I don't see why this is such a big problem. You should report every problem to prevent anyone from exploiting it, and while it is a bit excessive to ban someone over such a bug, no simple flaw should be left unattended and unreported.[/citation]

The problem with this rule is your jumping too quickly to the intent of why a bug was never reported. Quite frankly, how do you know the individual just forgot? Or what about trying to reproduce and test the bug, then reporting it? There is way too much grey area with this rule, and grants EA way too much power.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Northwestern[/nom]I don't see why this is such a big problem. You should report every problem to prevent anyone from exploiting it, and while it is a bit excessive to ban someone over such a bug, no simple flaw should be left unattended and unreported.[/citation]
Oh I like this feature of the game it's kind of fun, oh what's that EA it's a bug and I failed to report it now I can play any of my games I purchased from you, well shucks that sucks for me but I should have reported everything I played, even if I didn't realize it was a bug at the time.

Not only that but they need you to beta test the game to find the bugs and their threatening you for not reporting every bug, that isn't right..

[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]That clause was likely there because of competitive multiplayer games such as Battlefield. What bugs me though is that this means cheats won't exist in Sim City. Hell, I doubt there will even be mods with the way they've been trying to lock everything down. I used cheats from time to time in Sim City 4 and used mods every single time. I am really disappointed in the direction EA has taken with this new Sim City. It would have been nice if they sat down with the SC4Devotion people and hashed out how to make the perfect Sim City game instead of going off on this multiplayer always-online tangent.[/citation]

Sin city is an online only multiplayer game, at least nowadays, did you really think there than when you cheat and use my online? This isn't an indie game.

[citation][nom]EnFission[/nom]You are signing up for a closed beta, with the purpose of finding bugs for EA, not to actually playing the game. If you aren't reporting bugs, you are wasting EA's time and preventing another player from beta testing (presuming they have participant limit). You have reduced the efficiency of the closed beta. Congrats Kami3k, you have compared being locked out of an account to mass genocide, next time try and get the scale a little closer.[/citation]

You are considering this as a being that is completely broken from the bottom up, there's a good chance that any bugs in the game are so small that you might not even notice them, and even then let's say you do notice about what they don't even realize it is a bug.

For some reason you have residency high and it just doesn't go low, you have places for them to do business you have places for them to work the residency just doesn't really go down much at all. You would think you're doing just an amazing job at running your city, a wife because of one aspect of your city residency doesn't go down and you don't know what's that one aspect. Because it's a bug in your exploited it and you didn't report because he didn't know it was a bug your banned from everything.

Afrospinach

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
They are just trying to stop window lickers from entering beta and actually get people who actively participate. I don't see an issue really. A beta is not supposed to be a free trial it is a feedback process

kemtox

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]It's just a "bit excessive?I'm assuming what Hitler did to the Jews was just a bit excessive as well?You must be a EA employee paid to spew this drivel, I don't see how any could defend getting banned for missing a bug and not reporting it.[/citation]

Ahhhhhhh! Godwin's Law...always surprise me, even 23 years after!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin_Law

Status
Not open for further replies.