SimCity Finally Works Offline: What You Need to Know

Status
Not open for further replies.

helios2052

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
I'm glad to see they are at least taking notice of some of the game's major design flaws and attempting to fix them (not like they have much of a choice). One small step in the correct direction...

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Something tells me they did a half-assed job with that re-write just to get it out and let modders deal with the bugs. Well, I severely hope it doesn't have the performances issues of TS3. We've dealt with enough of that crap.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
lol they seriously wrote a PC game in Java instead of C++. I wonder if EA is hiring. I guess it would be OK if it was a genre that did not heavily rely on CPU speed and efficiency. Ohh wait, this is a sim game that traditionally relies the most on CPU speed and efficiency than other genres

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
lol they seriously wrote a PC game in Java instead of C++.
That was my first thought too when I read that. I wonder if The Sims 3 is written in Java too. That would explain the poor performance.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
lol they seriously wrote a PC game in Java instead of C++.
Just goes to show you what getting those "game design" degrees really gets you. No wonder it ran like crap. I wonder how many other games are built on something like java just so people don't have to learn a real programming language.

Never said I was going to preorder it. I didn't go through anything, I never bought the game. It's pretty obvious when a game is going to be bad these days.

a multiplayer based game forced into having a single player mode is not what we wanted. We wanted a single player game that was made as a single player game. It did not need to be difficult, all we wanted was sim city 4 with updated graphics and taking advantage of newer hardware. All we wanted was a nice, simple, fun, minimal-effort game and it would have sold like hot-cakes.

If EA wanted to add a multi-player component on top of that, then great, it would be a great bonus-added feature, but that is not what sim city players were asking for.

... If EA wanted a multi-player only sim game then they could have released it as a FB flash game... oh, thats right, they did that and it sucks too. Perhaps some executive at EA could have taken note of that before porting it to a PC game.

daekar

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Too many companies believe the bullcrap they spout about moving things to the cloud and multiplayer everything. The only reason I have ever bought a multiplayer game is if a single player version in that genre is unavailable, and even then I usually play them like they are single-player. EVE Online is the only real exception.

DrBackwater

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
And captain long bears said:Shiver me timbers do i smell gold, no no it's loot; come on boys let she be at it once more.Scurvy pirate:Ye capt we got he bounty and they never known.Captain:To pirate bay eye say, full steam ahead boys.

DrBackwater

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
And captain long bears said:Shiver me timbers do i smell gold, no no it's loot; come on boys let she be at it once more.Scurvy pirate:Ye capt we got he bounty and they never known.Captain:To pirate bay eye say, full steam ahead boys.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
As a developer that went to school a few blocks from EA's main headquarters, I spent the majority of my schooling using Java, with individual courses for other languages (C, C++, etc). It seems like most schools teach a lot of Java. But having been in the industry for 10+ years now, it isn't used nearly as much as a handful of other languages. I'm very surprised that it would be used for coding a modern game that requires reasonable performance. Java is dead slow. If you want to use an easier language, C# is far better than Java, though still not at fast as C++.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I just love the fact its still loaded with more DLC than you can fit into the area you're given.Still not worth playing until THAT is fixed.Really, these guys are idiots.And Java, REALLY? Who's smoking crack over there?

Status
Not open for further replies.