SimCity System Requirements, Multiplayer Detailed, More

Status
Not open for further replies.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
"GlassBox is built to be moddable, but beyond that we haven't announced anything"

who wants to bet EA will NOT let users mod ANYTHING in SimCity to keep community "uniform" ie so EA can make money off DLC instead of modders keep our games alive year after year?

p.s. the "Deluxe" edition is Origin only...good luck if you don't want to install Origin or prefer boxed version....

I hope they improved the AI and logic.

It sucked to build up a really nice city and be stuck in a loop where alien space ships kept destroying large chunks of it.

The graphics from that screenie do look nice, though. I have no interest in online multi-player and Origin. Seems quite a stretch from the core SimCity but some folks might enjoy it if done right.

computernerdforlife

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
ME3, Battlefield and now this game could of had my money 3 times over but Origin kills it. I wont install that EA forced-down-my-throat sh!t. Let me know if there is a non-Origin available. Until then, like jtt283 said "EA + Origin? Looks like a skip.". Diddo!

justme1977

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Graphics Card:
nVidia 7800 or better*
Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better*

Verry strange, that nvidia 7000 series has the same feature set as the 6000 series, and the 6600gt is about on par with the intel HD graphics, which in turn is way faster then the intel 4100.

Where is the logic in that?

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Oh, we love our modding community they are so important to us..., blah, blah,

Translated:

we'll kiss the PC users behind even though we dumped them for the console and now that the franchise is getting stale and Skyrim with its true modding community is stomping everyone else into the ground we want a piece of that pie.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
[citation][nom]justme1977[/nom]Graphics Card:.....nVidia 7800 or better*Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better*Verry strange, that nvidia 7000 series has the same feature set as the 6000 series, and the 6600gt is about on par with the intel HD graphics, which in turn is way faster then the intel 4100.Where is the logic in that?[/citation]

Maybe the code runs better on the intel graphics???

G

Got hyped when I saw SC5 was announced but then I remembered Maxis and EA are affiliated these days. Won't be buying this unless it pops up on Steam, which I know won't be happening.

And there is reason for Origin/EA hate. It is not pound for pound the same as Steam/Valve, so don't treat it as such. Steam is a very open source platform and Valve is a very transparent company (relatively), while EA is very closed and controlling of its IPs and has a history of ****ing with good games by using DRMs and other unnecessary bullshit. I have never used Origin because I refuse to install such garbage on my PC, but I'm sure it will reflect the same qualities of EA: overrated and of poor quality.

Using Steam is not the same thing as using Origin. To some gamers, the price tag means more than buying a game, it means supporting a company; supporting a business practice. Many people are willing to stand behind and support Valve, show me the number of people who are willing to do the same for EA. That alone speaks volumes for the differences in their customer relations and their way of business.

G

well, there is way more people who wants to support Apple than people who wants to support linux so your argument is not really valid...

G

I'll admit it was a poor example but it doesn't invalidate my entire point. Educated consumers hate Apple because of being so closed and proprietary. EA hate is usually for the same reasons. Just because Valve has lots of supporters and Apple has lots of supporters doesn't mean they are comparable. Nice logical fallacy.

And there are no Steam-only games that are not developed by Valve. But there are Origin-only games that EA forces onto their platform even though all they do is rush the dev cycle, stamp their logo on the box, and push it out the door.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Can someone explain all the hate for Origin and all the love for Steam? It seems haters just looking to hate. Both are equally annoying, intrusive, and inconvenient, but if im forced to use one for a game i want to play i will. The best part, i can even exit both of them when not using the.!Steam is becoming the Apple of the gaming community.[/citation]
I dislike DRM like anyone else, but I don't view Steam as inconvenient nor the Apple of gaming. To me, it's worth putting up with Steam for the automatic updates, not having to dig around for the disc to play it, community involvement, etc. The sales are NOT crap and they have been more than fairly priced even before competition even arrived. Key term here is reputation, and EA has tarnished/trashed theirs repeatedly over the years. Monopolies are bad for business, but Valve has been more about the gamer than the buck from the start of Steam (no I'm not fooling myself over the laws of business - this is perception) - something gamers are fond of and remember well. EA has proven itself to be pro $$$ and does everything to make more of it by screwing over gamers whether it's day 1 DLC, not releasing a full game with anticipation of DLC, Madden (need I say more about this one?), Releasing a game that has DLC ON THE DISC that you have to buy to unlock it, using junk DRM to deter piracy, trashing good studios after acquiring them - I could keep going. In the end, Origin is tied to this F-ing company that leaves a bad taste in my mouth, how does Valve stack up in comparison? As for Origin itself, it may be in it's infancy, but it's slow, very buggy, crashes fairly often, uses a web browser interface for a lot of things for some reason (BF3 is horribly done here), can be considered spyware on your computer depending on how you interpret the TOS, and oh yeah - EA's baby.

So yeah, SImCity to me is Maxis, and Sim..... hasn't been the same since being acquired. I'm puzzled over the system requirements, but reserve judgement on how it turns out until it ships and see what it is.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]matt_b[/nom]I dislike DRM like anyone else, but I don't view Steam as inconvenient nor the Apple of gaming. To me, it's worth putting up with Steam for the automatic updates, not having to dig around for the disc to play it, community involvement, etc. The sales are NOT crap and they have been more than fairly priced even before competition even arrived. Key term here is reputation, and EA has tarnished/trashed theirs repeatedly over the years. Monopolies are bad for business, but Valve has been more about the gamer than the buck from the start of Steam (no I'm not fooling myself over the laws of business - this is perception) - something gamers are fond of and remember well. EA has proven itself to be pro $$$ and does everything to make more of it by screwing over gamers whether it's day 1 DLC, not releasing a full game with anticipation of DLC, Madden (need I say more about this one?), Releasing a game that has DLC ON THE DISC that you have to buy to unlock it, using junk DRM to deter piracy, trashing good studios after acquiring them - I could keep going. In the end, Origin is tied to this F-ing company that leaves a bad taste in my mouth, how does Valve stack up in comparison? As for Origin itself, it may be in it's infancy, but it's slow, very buggy, crashes fairly often, uses a web browser interface for a lot of things for some reason (BF3 is horribly done here), can be considered spyware on your computer depending on how you interpret the TOS, and oh yeah - EA's baby. So yeah, SImCity to me is Maxis, and Sim..... hasn't been the same since being acquired. I'm puzzled over the system requirements, but reserve judgement on how it turns out until it ships and see what it is.[/citation]you, sir, have put into words thoughts that i could not possibly convey. thank you so much. now i can tell my friend why i can't use EA's origin.

G

Steam and Origin are one in the same. I've used Origin since BF3 dropped and had very few issues with it. The current version of Origin is stable and it's just another gaming hub - like Steam or Impulse. If not for other means to buy games, Steam would have the monopoly and could charge more. If I see a game on sale via Steam, I check Origin and Impulse to see if they have a better deal. Competition pushes competitive pricing and better games.

At the end of the day these system (Steam, Origin, Impulse, etc) are in place because of piracy. We never needed this crap when games came on discs. If you want to hate something, hate the people who steal games and force Steam/Origin down our throats. Sure, cloud storage is nice but I would rather not have to deal with DRM in the first place.

hackholm

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
I admit I'm no expert on these things, but I don't understand why Origin is so bad? I have installed and it seems to be fine to me. What are the downsides?

jezus53

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
[citation][nom]OneTimeBurnand[/nom].At the end of the day these system (Steam, Origin, Impulse, etc) are in place because of piracy. We never needed this crap when games came on discs. If you want to hate something, hate the people who steal games and force Steam/Origin down our throats. Sure, cloud storage is nice but I would rather not have to deal with DRM in the first place.[/citation]

The reason people pirate is because of pricing, and instead of dealing with that like any normal competitive system, every game developer now sales their games at $59.99 and throws in DRM crap. Great competition amiright?

The reason I hate Origin is the fact that I HAVE to use it to play a game. The game doesn't need it to work. BF3 with Origin and BF3 without are the same game. The only difference is now I have some piece of crap software on my computer that I'm forced to use if I want to simply play a game. For me, it's just the idea behind it, which is why I don't even use steam too. I just want to by the disc, toss it in, and play.

Swaying off that topic, I hope this game is not ripped apart and sold in pieces like The Sims 3. I'm sure anyone who has played that went through this; you build your sim a home with a nice deck or backyard. Then you decide it's time for your sim to bring some of his female friends over for a romantic night. Maybe some nice dinner, dancing if that's what your into, then we can finish off in th- OUT WHERE THE HELL IS THE HOT TUB? Of course, EA and their "make-no-sense" logic decided that the hot tube would be sold in an expansion pack for 30 bucks. YOU MEAN I HAVE TO SPEND 30 BUCKS SO MY SIM CAN SCORE IN THE HOT TUB? And that was the final nail in the coffin for me.

Sadly, unless Maxis has some balls and tells EA to not cannibalize this game into DLC then I won't be buying. I was looking forward to this game for years too...

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
as much as I want to Boycott EA, I will buy and play the new SimCity. I have soft sports for new games, based on favorite gameplay. Besides, Boycotting EA is a lost cause, just like boycotting Walmart. You may choose not to shop there, but as I type this post, 5 hundred thousand transactions have just occured.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]hackholm[/nom]I admit I'm no expert on these things, but I don't understand why Origin is so bad? I have installed and it seems to be fine to me. What are the downsides?[/citation]

Because people have some strange love relation with Valve even though their product support is ABSOLUTELY terrible. I've contacted Valve at least 5 times and each problem was left unresolved. They don't care what happens after you pay them.

Conversely, EA has resolved all problems they could directly control (that don't involve developers patching the issue), and have compensated me for my trouble via $20 gift cards. One of which allowed me to get Mass Effect 2 for free. That's much better than the "Deal with it" response Valve gives me. Say what you want about EA, but I'd rather go to them for help than Valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.