SimFlyer vs. Reality XP

dallas

I stumbled upon "the SimFlyer Network" tonight, I'd never heard of them
before.

They seem to make or market the Garmin GNS430 and GNS530 units that they
sell for $17.99 for both.
http://www.simflyer.net/shop/gnsv4.html

Reality XP wants $29.95 for each unit! Reality XP models 99% of the real
Garmin's functions.

What is up with these SimFlyer units? They don't tell you how many of the
real Garmin functions they model.

Does anyone know about these products?

Dallas

If Simflyers supports Windows 2000 and remembers its window
position in a separate monitor at startup, they have my dollars.
They get an A+ if they can also map keystrokes or GoFlight
hardware from the normal GPS into their GPS.

--
Will
Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

> I stumbled upon "the SimFlyer Network" tonight, I'd never heard
of them
> before.
>
> They seem to make or market the Garmin GNS430 and GNS530 units
that they
> sell for $17.99 for both.
> http://www.simflyer.net/shop/gnsv4.html
>
> Reality XP wants $29.95 for each unit! Reality XP models 99%
of the real
> Garmin's functions.
>
> What is up with these SimFlyer units? They don't tell you how
many of the
> real Garmin functions they model.
>
> Does anyone know about these products?
>
> Dallas

dallas

"Will"
> They get an A+ if they can also map keystrokes or GoFlight
> hardware from the normal GPS into their GPS.

Well they get an A+ from me for using the FS9 database. Reality XP's
database does not match FS9's.

They also get an A+ from me if you can get 2 GPS systems for $18 bucks.
Jean-Luc's prices seem a little high to me.

But SimFlyer gets a D- in marketing for not answering my main concern, "How
many of the real Garmin features do they simulate?".

Dallas

Well maybe they implement five features in which case you would give them an
F, so they might get a better grade at D- for staying quiet. :)

I honestly don't see a big difference between an $18 and $49 price. If a
product saves me four hours of time I make that back multiple times.

--
Will

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 05:37:59 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> What is up with these SimFlyer units? They don't tell you how many of the
> real Garmin functions they model.
>
> Does anyone know about these products?

They are simply repackaged default GPS gauges in a pretty frame. They are
the very same XML code as the default and offer no additional features...

Bill

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 00:58:46 -0700, Will wrote:

> If Simflyers supports Windows 2000 and remembers its window
> position in a separate monitor at startup, they have my dollars.
> They get an A+ if they can also map keystrokes or GoFlight
> hardware from the normal GPS into their GPS.

They are nothing more nor less than repackaged default GSP units. The use
the same XML code that the default gauges use...

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 21:20:26 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> But SimFlyer gets a D- in marketing for not answering my main concern, "How
> many of the real Garmin features do they simulate?".

Because the answer is simply NONE WHATSOEVER!

Bill

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 18:10:18 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> "Bill Leaming"
>> Because the answer is simply NONE WHATSOEVER!
>
> Thank you Bill... ya saved me $18 bucks.

Search on AVSIM for "Garmin 430" and you'll quickly find the unit(s) from
Donald Kuhn which were released just over one year ago, and have identical
code to the ones sold by SimFlyer, albeit not as pretty graphics.

Bill

tedd jones

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
The Reality XP use the real Garmin Trainer in the background. The 430GNS is just like the one I use in the real helicopter and it uses real world, albeit somewhat dated databases. They get my vote.

Tedd

rewindlabs

Thanks Tedd, its good to read up on 4 year old discussions....

n4gix

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
I realize that this thread is now ancient history, but I do wish to point out that since that time, SimFlyers has progressed a great deal in their systems development...

...what was true four years ago is no longer valid. No one should consider the information in this thread as accurate information for making a decision regarding SimFlyer's product offerings! ;)

Bill