[SOLVED] Simple cheap build for my mother.

nightshift23

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
I'm looking to put a system together for my mother.

This is just going to be a box, I have the monitor and peripherals from her old system. I have 4 sticks of memory, DDR4 16gb. I think I can figure out the case, wouldn't mind suggestions though, but don't consider that in the budget please.

The core of what she does with the system is sell on ebay, play some browser games, stream some, and thats about it.

**What I need to figure out is cheap but not crap CPU with at least basic on board graphics(the only games she plays are in the browser), MotherBoard (DDR4 as I said I have for it), I have a psu I can use (Its's getting old, so I have my concerns, but they are expensive right now! but if you know of a reasonable price budget option I will consider it. ) And finally I would like a drive for it, I'm ok with an HD, and as small as 500gb could be good but I would prefer 1tb, and if I could find a deal on ssd I would look at it.

*I'm hoping to do this for 200 or less, but I will go up to 500 if I feel I need to. I don't really know how much to spend to be honest, This will be the first non "gaming" build I've ever really done.

Thanks in advance for your help

-N

** = most important line
*= next most

Solution
It's actually probably going to HAVE to be an Intel build anyhow, because I'm not seeing any budget A320 or B450 motherboards that support that memory kit. Mostly due to the fact that it is a four DIMM kit most likely. Corsair memory finder shows no compatibility between that memory kit and any of the sub-200 dollar ASRock, Gigabyte, MSI or ASUS B450 boards, and I didn't bother to check it against any of the higher priced boards as they wouldn't be candidates for this build anyhow.

Personally, I'd just sell that memory and build the whole thing from scratch if you want to go AMD. This is more than she'd need for what you outlined.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.99 @...
What is the model of the memory kit, and did all four sticks come together or is this a combination of different sticks and kits? Yes, it matters, because a lot of what is out there right now can be very finicky about using mixed memory or specific memory kits in general. Ryzen platforms for example will refuse to play nice with a lot of DDR4 kits out there with timings and configuration settings that were specifically designed and intended for Intel platforms, while most Intel platforms on the other hand are not particularly finicky at all, but can be in some cases.

Before suggesting ANYTHING, it would be good to know exactly what memory is intended to be used, with exact model numbers of all sticks involved or the memory kit itself if it IS all one kit. And same model number sticks that didn't all come together, is the same thing as using mixed memory kits because those sticks can have significant differences from one production run to the next. I've encountered dozens and dozens of DIMMs that were the same model, not purchased together in one kit, that would not play nice together.

nightshift23

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
It was all one kit, 4x4gb. It's LPX Vengeance. The line of letters and numbers from right above the barcode on the sticker are as follows : CMK 16GX4M4A2666C18. I think that covers everything you were asking?

edit - oh and it WAS for an AMD build, no idea if that memory would be good for an intel build, I had already determined an AMD build when I purchased it, so my research would have been for AMD, specifically a Tomahawk.

I think a Tomahawk is a bit above the level of what is needed for this kind of build, an unnecessary spend for a board with terrific VRMs that are not needed, but I'll leave that decision up to you. Obviously, the MSI Gaming Plus, Tomahawk and Pro Carbon are all excellent motherboards with very similar VRM configurations, including the "Max" versions of those boards, but I don't think they are particularly necessary for a lower end iGPU desktop CPU part.

That memory kit part number does not seem to be valid. It is SIMILAR to other Corsair part and model numbers, but nothing related to the LPX Vengeance lineup comes up with that number. Please double check for typos.

I thought about that too, but the obvious problem with those is that they are rarely upgradeable later and you end up having to start all over again from scratch. Doesn't sound to me like this is the kind of scenario where they want to have to do that down the road, but if so, then it's certainly an option.

kanewolf

Titan
I thought about that too, but the obvious problem with those is that they are rarely upgradeable later and you end up having to start all over again from scratch. Doesn't sound to me like this is the kind of scenario where they want to have to do that down the road, but if so, then it's certainly an option.
For a "mom" box, I would rather have the ability for her to call Dell for help, than to be able to upgrade in the future :)

I don't disagree, in some situations. It really depends on the scenario. For myself, I'd MUCH rather be able to deal with it myself than have to have her rely on Dell. She has enough trouble dealing with Xfinity or Directv type calls much less something related to a PC troubleshooting problem. I can't speak for others though.

I'm looking to put a system together for my mother.

This is just going to be a box, I have the monitor and peripherals from her old system. I have 4 sticks of memory, DDR4 16gb. I think I can figure out the case, wouldn't mind suggestions though, but don't consider that in the budget please.

The core of what she does with the system is sell on ebay, play some browser games, stream some, and thats about it.

**What I need to figure out is cheap but not crap CPU with at least basic on board graphics(the only games she plays are in the browser), MotherBoard (DDR4 as I said I have for it), I have a psu I can use (Its's getting old, so I have my concerns, but they are expensive right now! but if you know of a reasonable price budget option I will consider it. ) And finally I would like a drive for it, I'm ok with an HD, and as small as 500gb could be good but I would prefer 1tb, and if I could find a deal on ssd I would look at it.

*I'm hoping to do this for 200 or less, but I will go up to 500 if I feel I need to. I don't really know how much to spend to be honest, This will be the first non "gaming" build I've ever really done.

Thanks in advance for your help

-N

** = most important line
*= next most
Something like this:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B460M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($103.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone PS15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA BR 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.94 @ Office Depot)
Total: $391.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-01 17:55 EDT-0400

I built a similar pc for my son.
The key to quickness is to use a fast ssd.
A 1tb intel 665P m.2 pcie ssd is around $100.
A i3-10100 processor is about $120. It turbos quickly and seems very quick.
The integrated HD630 graphics can run a 4k monitor or play civ 4.

To use 4 ram sticks, you need a B460 based motherboard, about $75

It's actually probably going to HAVE to be an Intel build anyhow, because I'm not seeing any budget A320 or B450 motherboards that support that memory kit. Mostly due to the fact that it is a four DIMM kit most likely. Corsair memory finder shows no compatibility between that memory kit and any of the sub-200 dollar ASRock, Gigabyte, MSI or ASUS B450 boards, and I didn't bother to check it against any of the higher priced boards as they wouldn't be candidates for this build anyhow.

Personally, I'd just sell that memory and build the whole thing from scratch if you want to go AMD. This is more than she'd need for what you outlined.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($61.88 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX500 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($44.46 @ MemoryC)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($41.29 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($42.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.94 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Fractal Design Silent LL 47.1 CFM 140 mm Fan ($13.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $451.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-01 21:09 EDT-0400

Solution