[SOLVED] Simple cheap system run on 50" TV

Sep 14, 2019
Hi folks:

I've been trying to assemble a simple and cheap streaming server for the family room's 50" TV. I have a spare Dell Optiplex 380 and used a VGA to HDMI converter and plugged it into the 50". But it doesn't work.

I even tried it on my work monitor with the same cable I use normally. Neither the normal cable, or the one I purchased with the converter would work, so I'm assuming the converter isn't working. (but the VGA works on another monitor.)

The use is a simple internet streaming (like CBS all-access) to a 50" TV to watch streaming shows, DVD playback, and a small hard drive that holds MP3s. I've also though ultimately of putting on a TIVO system too.

So I'm asking:

Can a plugin video card work with the 50" TV? What type would you recommend?
or should I just buy a new (used) system that's younger and more powerful to do this? What would be the best idea? (Processor, memory, video card)

I only use linux, so keep that in mind

Thanks for your help.

- Kc

Solution
Is it going to be playing media directly only, or streaming media to other devices too? If streaming to other devices too, a c2d is pretty much limited to 720p. If it's only going to be playing media directly, it will have no issues just playing in 1080p. As for video output, if your tv has hdmi, then just get a cheap card with hdmi. Should only cost $10-20. Depending on which form factor your Optiplex 380 is, you may or may not need a low profile card.

Remeca

Reputable
Is it going to be playing media directly only, or streaming media to other devices too? If streaming to other devices too, a c2d is pretty much limited to 720p. If it's only going to be playing media directly, it will have no issues just playing in 1080p. As for video output, if your tv has hdmi, then just get a cheap card with hdmi. Should only cost $10-20. Depending on which form factor your Optiplex 380 is, you may or may not need a low profile card.

Solution