Question Simple Diagnostic issue - Need help

roger911

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
So I'm having issues doing diagnostics because I do not have replacement parts I can swap in and out to test individual pieces. I know the issue could be MOBO, RAM, CPU, PSU... but determining which one is what I'm having issues with.

The issue : PC Loses display output, sound stutters then stops, computer locks up and requires a hard shut down.

Previous issue : Radiator Leak on EK cooling system, had to remove 1 of 2 radiators for CPU/GPU water loop. Left mining over night, woke up PC had crashed, wouldn't boot.
Previous solution : Replaced the 3090 with a 1080 TI, boots and runs. Sent 3090 in for RMA.
Hypothesis : Potential issue - CPU partially fried, Windows 11 insider instability, RAM issue, Video card overheating, Mobo shorting somewhere.

Setup :
Mobo : Asus TUF 570x Pro (wifi)
Ram : 32gb DDR4
NVME : 2x WD 1tb drives
GPU : 1080 TI
CPU : AMD 5950x
PSU : 1200w Corsair Gold rated
Cooling : CPU block from EK, EK loop with 1x 360mm radiator.
O/S : Windows 11 Insider
Drivers : All up to date
Overclocking : None

Average temps under load :
CPU - 40-60C
GPU : 45-55C

Further info : I had it crash once as I plugged in my headphones to charge them via USB. Retried and replicated the issue after a little fiddling.

It doesn't look to be an overheating issue, but I can't access temp logs. I don't know if there's software out there that can help me stress test individual components, if so please point me in the right direction.

roger911

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Where did the water cooling leak to?
From the radiator at the top of the case, to the bottom of the case, motherboard nor any components in the path of water leakage. This was my initial concern as well. PSU is actually seated above the bottom of the case, and the case bottom is vented (Has holes, so water can't pool up/reach the PSU.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"Radiator Leak on EK cooling system, had to remove 1 of 2 radiators for CPU/GPU water loop. Left mining over night, woke up PC had crashed, wouldn't boot. "

Do I understand correctly the the system was left mining overnight with half of the cooling capability removed?

= = = =

So the PC will boot - correct?

If so, take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing error codes, warnings, or informational events just before or at the time of any given problem/crash.

Try booting into Safe Mode. Doing so may prove helpful with maintaining a bit more stability so you can open Reliability History and Event Viewer to look.

Reactions: Grobe