Simple DYI "Chassis"?

Sep 4, 2018
Im abit unsure where to put this thread so if an admin finds it better suited somewhere else and moves it i can understand that. I recently upgraded to a whole new workstation. Basically the only thing i need to get the old system going again is a chassis. I need the old system and Win7 for some functions and plugins that are outdated in windows 10. Instead of buying a chassis (which will cost a fair price even used here in my Country). Can it just drill out holes in a aluminium case i have and simply install the Mainboard with all components there? Punchline is....Can i do it this way and is there anything i need to watch out for concidering static and antistatic etcetc or can i simply drill holes and mount? Thanks!

Solution
So rather than use a standard computer case (you are calling it chassis if I'm reading it correctly) you want to use an aluminum box of some sort? Basically fabricating / making your own case. That is fine, it will work fine. Drill the holes in the aluminum where they need to be for mounting, and mount it. The motherboard and power supply will ground the aluminum so static, etc won't be issue. Think of it this way, that's all a regular PC case / chassis is, an aluminum box with holes drilled in it.

I'm assuming this means you have a non standard for factor motherboard?

So rather than use a standard computer case (you are calling it chassis if I'm reading it correctly) you want to use an aluminum box of some sort? Basically fabricating / making your own case. That is fine, it will work fine. Drill the holes in the aluminum where they need to be for mounting, and mount it. The motherboard and power supply will ground the aluminum so static, etc won't be issue. Think of it this way, that's all a regular PC case / chassis is, an aluminum box with holes drilled in it.

Solution
Sep 4, 2018

Oh yeah thats exactly something like i imagined doing up! Thanks for the answers guys :)