[SOLVED] Simple games like League of Legends are freezing for 3-5 seconds intermittently

Feb 25, 2021
Hello!

I'm in some serious need of help as I don't understand what may be going on with my current setup. I'm usually pretty good at figuring these things out but regardless of what I mess around with in bios/other things, I haven't been able to figure it out. I think my setup is more than capable to run games but for the past couple months I've ran into some terrible freezing issues when playing games. I've pulled up performance monitor and it seems like my cpu is maxing out which is odd since I used to get above 300FPS on games like league without issues on my previous system. I will list all of my parts below and would be happy to provide any additional information to help diagnose. My temps are all below 40C.

CPU: i7-6700k @4.00 ghz (flexing to 4.4ghz)
GPU: RTX 2060
MOBO: Z170X-Gaming 7
RAM: 16GB

I've seen issues with all types of games recently so I don't think it's game specific. I'm not really sure how to go about troubleshooting which of my components may be the culprit. Let me know if I can provide any more info to help. Thank you in advance to any kind soul that is able to help me <3

Solution
I think I switched mobo and cpu since the install and I think I upgraded from 8 to 10 a long time ago :censored:

Then a new fresh install of Windows 10 + drivers is not a bad idea. I can not guarantee it will fix all your gaming problems but its a place to start. That and setting the BIOS back to default.

I believe if this is the same mobo and cpu, that windows shuld activate without issues.
Feb 25, 2021
SSD for both league/rocket league and other recent games I've played (doom eternal).

Memory is around 50% but most of memory is being taken up by chrome.

I scanned using malware bytes and nothing alarming came up.

I jumped into practice tool on league and memory stayed around 50% (mostly through chrome again). GPU 35-45%. CPU 70-80%. (roughly watched perf monitor to see fluctuations.) This was a tool where only I was in the game spamming all my abilities (FPS never dipped or dropped below 200). I think what's happening is in some games for whatever reason my CPU is spiking to 100% thus causing the freezing effect.

Should I use a different benchmarking tool to more easily identify where my breakpoint currently is?

Sorry to bother you but any more ideas on what I could do/try? Should I just get a new CPU?

What have you tried?

For example, if I was in your place, i would:

1. Reset BIOS to default - or optimized default, depends on the brand / model. And yes, leave XMP off for now, it wont make such a big diference anyways, leave everything to default (you can take notes or pictures oo how your settings are in BIOS before reseting, or you can save your current settings into a profile, most newer BIOSes allows user to do that).

2. Install a fresh clean Windows 10. When was the last time you installed Windows?

3. Once Windows 10 is installed, download all the newer drivers, Chipset, GPU, LAN, Sound, etc.

4. Try games now.

Feb 25, 2021
I know this is potentially a stupid question but can I install windows on a different drive if I already have it installed on a former one? Also, do I need to have my license key or anything if I do a fresh install?

You can install Windows 10 on as many drives as you want, but you will have to pick the boot drive from the BIOS and set it as the right one.

To answer the question about license key, it will be great if I knew: 1. When was the last time you installed Windows 10?, and 2. Which PC part did you changed since that time (If its only the GPU, then you should be fine)?

I think I switched mobo and cpu since the install and I think I upgraded from 8 to 10 a long time ago :censored:

Then a new fresh install of Windows 10 + drivers is not a bad idea. I can not guarantee it will fix all your gaming problems but its a place to start. That and setting the BIOS back to default.

I believe if this is the same mobo and cpu, that windows shuld activate without issues.

Solution