Simple!!! P4 @ 1.5 or Anthlon TBird @ 1.3

G

As the subject suggests,
Should i go in for a P4 @ 1.5 GHZ (considering the price drop)
or the Thunderbird 1.33 ghz...

" Good things come to those who wait............. and cheaper "

G

The answear is simple the T-bird is much better and faster
and if u whant the P4 only the 1.7GHz!!!
all banchmarks show thet P4 sucks and T-bird is better.
but the 1.7GHz is queit fast and should be faster then the T-bird when the SSE2 optimized programs come out.

I Know About Computers!!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
go for Athlon 1.33, there's a longer road ahead.
P4 will stop being 423 pins soon and you would need a board upgrade to get a 478 on.

you dont want to switch boards often, do you?

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I recommend you replace your P4 1.5GHz option with a P4 1.7GHz. Whether you go with a P4 or a P3/Athlon at the moment depends on 1 factor. Do you plan on upgrading your CPU again some time in the near future or holding on to it for 2-3 years? If you plan on holding on to it, get the P4. It will be able to run the programs of the future better, and hence not go obsolete as quickly. If you plan on upgrading your CPU again within the next 6 months or so, then a P3 or Athlon will work fine. Motherboards for the P4 will be changing in Q3 of this year.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

G

Here's what I always recommend to customers: "Buy less, more often." I can usually get customers to spend half of what the want to spend but get them to buy computers every 1-1.5 years as apposed to 2-3 years. This way they can "keep pace" with the technology a bit better. True, they will never have top of the line, but 99% of the time, even the low cost system does everything they need it to do. Unless you are a true power user, I don't think anyone needs the P4, or the high end Athlons. But given the systems you want to choose between, I'd just take which ever one costs less. Betting that the P4 will work so much better "tomorrow" is a bad bet, however, betting that it won't isn't a good bet either. In the past Intel has told the industry what the standards are, but in the current market, Intel has had some trouble selling the industry a bunch of it's new technology. Will developers adapt to the P4 in mass? To be honest, I'm not going to say anything in favor of any opinion. I'm not a fortuneteller, nor do I go to Vegas that often. Just get what is going to run your applications(the ones that you actually have), the best and re-think in a year or 2. Roll with the punches as they say.

--
Free us from these chains, let us slip these bonds and touch the sky with our imagination.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
oh no!!!, the socket on the pee4 will stop being 423 pins! all pee4's will shut down on that day. what is this world coming to?

"AMD...you are the weakest link, good bye!"

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Well, since you call it the "pee4," you're opinion of it must just as low, if not lower than the rabid AMD fans out here. Now, giving you the benefit of the doubt, and that you were using sarcasm to get your point across, I will just say that, if you want to upgrade, and you don't have the money right now to get the bleeding edge, you will have to upgrade in a year and a half, and unless the Brookdale and Northwood are going to have a really short life span, like the current P4, getting a P4 now with the idea of upgrading later is pointless and a waste of hard earned cash. I will make the assumption that a majority of the people on this board are computer enthusiasts, and that they enjoy building their computers and tweaking them. I will also assume that most are between 18-34, mostly male, and, unless they are really well off, don't have money to throw around. So, if you want bleeding edge and have the money to do it, by all means, go with the P4 1.7GHz and never look back. But for the majority who like to tweak, change, and build our own computers, right now the choice is to either get a P3 or a T-Bird. And if you really want a P4, save your money in a bank to collect interest, and use it to get the <b> <i> real </i> </b> P4 that is coming out in the fall.

-SammyBoy

Without Evil, there can be no Good. Therefore, without an Intel, there can be no AMD.